BloodBoal

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I can't. Because there is no discussion.

I have not heard anyone claiming Smeagol, or Gollum did redeem himself at Sammath Naur. He destroyed the Ring, but did you by accident, or was fated to do so by a power that he had no control over. That is nor what redemption is.

The more interesting question is: Did Frodo fail his Quest. He was tasked at bringing the One Ring to Orodruin, and destroy it. He failed to do so.

I have not heard anyone claiming Smeagol, or Gollum did redeem himself at Sammath Naur. He destroyed the Ring, but did you by accident, or was fated to do so by a power that he had no control over. That is nor what redemption is.

I'd say he redeemed himself earlier, as far as was possible for him. The accidental act of destroying the Ring was in no way a redemption, but then Smeagol didn't really have another option there. His malice throughout most of LOTR wasn't his own choice, as he was bound by the Ring.

We could ask: Did Sam ever redeem himself for how he treated Smeagol? Because he never did, and it probably helped keep Smeagol beyond help in the end.

The more interesting question is: Did Frodo fail his Quest. He was tasked at bringing the One Ring to Orodruin, and destroy it. He failed to do so.

He did bring the Ring to his destination, and he succeeded in having the Ring end up being destroyed. There's a reason why they didn't send him alone. The big question is: Without Smeagol there, would Sam have had the power (or the will) to take the Ring from Frodo and consciously destroy it?

For me, "redemption" is a term that doesn't apply to a random hobbit that has been seduced by the Ring. Frodo is dealing with something so powerful that he has hardly any control over how the Ring is messing with his head because of his intention to throw it to Mount Doom.

Since the task was succesful, I say he didn't fail. The Ring was destroyed by accident? Yes, so what.