My JW concert experience!

Wow, where do I begin?? I just got home from seeing John Williams and the Boston pops... I'll start by saying this is the third JW concert I've been too... and by far the best one! Here was the program:

Centennial Olympic Theme

Fiddler on the Roof

ET Adventures on Earth

Hook

The Reivers(with narration)

The Mission Theme

Schindlers List

Jaws

Imperial March

Across the Stars

Star Wars main theme

Accidental Tourist(encore!!)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Another encore!!!)

Now tell me this program doesn't kicks ass!! Sure there were a few others I wish he had done, like Harry Potter or the Call of the Champions, or maybe even Witches of Eastwick, but how can I complain?? The Boston Pops werew FLAWLESS in there performances... the best I have ever heard them!! So crisp and full-sounding... And to top it off, it was his 70th birthday celebration to boot, and we all sang to him! Another conductor(Keith Lockhart) walked out with a cake for him, and also brought some other "friends" to sing- and they were Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and about 10 storm troopers...

Wow...

My seats were terrific too- it was third balcony, which I was worried about, but when I was directed to my seat, I was right on top of Williams! I looked down and there was him and the orchestra! It was a great view....

Well, my fav performance would have to be Across the Stars, just because I love the theme so much... but know what the shocker of the performance was?? The Reivers... the Pops handled this suite with such perfection, and breathed new life into the score for me... I love the soundtrack, but it sounds a bit "canned" on the soundtrack because it was recorded so long ago.... but man, id the Pops rerecorded this score WITHOUT narration, what a gem...

Well, I guess I am done for now... I am sure I'll think of more to say and ramble about later... all I have to say is man, what a great show...

John F

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I fully agree with ya. It was a great show! Read my review on this board. Under "Williams concert in Boston" or something like that!

I got some pics of the show, if you would like copies of them I would be delighted to send them your way once I got back to NJ.

Have a safe trip home! I've never felt so saddened to leave a city before. Boston's been great!

Hey Jonnyecks- I'd love to get those pics from you! My email is j007f@aol.com... email me when you get a chance and we'll work something out...

Thanks!

John

Hey Jonnyecks- I'd love to get those pics from you! My email is j007f@aol.com... email me when you get a chance and we'll work something out...

Thanks!

John

John, there isn't anything to 'work out'. I'll just send the pics along to you when I get back home. If not tonight, then on tomorrow. No prob at all!

Glad you liked the show!

That's like two John's who went to see John  :)

It's was a Johnny John John extravaganza! Heh....

WOW. THat was lame.

:(

Thats great Johnnyecks- very much appreciated! Where did you sit, buy the way? I was second balcony on the right side, right over him! I want to go to this weekends concert, but it is sold out! He is doing:

Harry Potter

Close Encounters

AI

Call of the Champions

and the montage he arranged from the academy awards...

Damn! It is even being taped to be broadcasted on PBS, and the playbill states "if the audience can be patient whereas the orchestra might have to repeat certain sections of the music for broadcast purposes..." Tell me that wouldn't be cool to see him in action... I am sure it wouldn't be much of a stretch for any of us to be patient...

John F

John,

I sat pretty much directly under you. I was on the floor, 8 rows back, on the right hand side sitting at the tables.

I heard him perform Superman at a concert last year in Pittsburgh that I also went to, but I am unsure why he didn't play it here. Oh well, it was good enough. I would've loved to of heard Harry Potter, or A.I, but hey...we can't get it all! It would be a nine hour concert then! Heh.

I'm gonna TOTALLY tape Friday's concert (whenever it comes on PBS). That would be a cool addition to the memory of the 28th. Also, for anyone who wants pics from the show I decided that instead of mailing them to everyone, I have made them avail. online.

You can get to them by going to my review of the concert on my webpage at:

www.johnnyecks.com/williamsconcert.htm

Enjoy!

Did anyone notice if he did his lil trademark "bedtime gesture" after the last encore? He usually puts both hands up to the side of his head as if sleeping on a pillow to signal the end of the show and it always gets a big "AWWE" from the concert goers who see and realize what he is doing...

Did anyone notice if he did his lil trademark "bedtime gesture" after the last encore? He usually puts both hands up to the side of his head as if sleeping on a pillow to signal the end of the show and it always gets a big "AWWE" from the concert goers who see and realize what he is doing...

Yeah, i was at the Bowl last year, and he did that too. I felt the exact same when the audience went "Aww" Gosh, that was such a great night. I didn't want it to end. I just wanted to run on stage and give him a big hug. But then I probably would have be hauled off by security as a deranged fan or something. :)

Hey Johnnyecks, I read your review; if i go to the Bowl, and I want a meeting, do you think doing it your way is the best way?

When do you know when it's going to be on PBS?

I didn't see him do that in this show, but he did do it in Pittsburgh. I may be a "sign" to sorta say "I'm gonna see people" or "I'm going right back to the hotel.". Because when I saw him in Pbgh, he did it and never came our for autographs, this time he didn't do it and (from what I've heard) came out after his 'private meetings', and met the rest of the fans.

"Guest", I am unsure if the way that I got to see him will work for everyone. As a matter of fact, I doubt that it will. Once the venues start getting flooded with requests, I'm sure they'll put a stop to it. I am playing it off as good luck, that's all. I talked to the right people at the right time, that was it!

Take care...