What section of The Fellowship of the Ring is your favorite, musically?

Jay

What section of The Fellowship of the Ring is your favorite, musically?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What section of The Fellowship of the Ring is your favorite, musically?

• The opening in Hobbiton
    • The journey from Hobbiton to Bree & Gandalf's encounter with Saruman
    • Bree & the journey from there to Rivendell
    • Rivendell
    • The journey from Rivendell to the Mines
    • The Mines of Moria
    • Lothlorien
    • The journey down River Anduin and Frodo's encounter with Boromir and Aragorn
    • The Parth Galen battle and the Finale

Strider's "theme" you all say? Nonsense!

I remember when themes used to have intros, bridges and reprisals. Back when all this was just fields.

It's a motif at best, and even that's stretching it.

Yeah, that's the whole thing I don't like about the claim that LOTR has over 80 themes. Most opf them are motifs, and only just. Or segments of themes that are somehow counted as a full theme.

Strider's "theme" you all say? Nonsense!

I remember when themes used to have intros, bridges and reprisals. Back when all this was just fields.

It's a motif at best, and even that's stretching it.

Yeah, that's the whole thing I don't like about the claim that LOTR has over 80 themes. Most opf them are motifs, and only just. Or segments of themes that are somehow counted as a full theme.

I think this depends on your definition of a leitmotif. Theme and motif have no clearly set definition but we tend to talk about them as if there is. What you both are referring to is the longer melodic identification VS a short concise reprised musical idea. LotR has both but Shore is much more prone to use shorter malleable ideas and link them to each other than writing a minute long melody. You could actually think e.g. the different Shire theme settings just as variations on the same basic musical colours and not as separate themes.

Mine 9and Lee's) opinion is to be considered a theme, something has to have a little more meat on it's bones then a lot of the stuff that is passed of as a theme in LOTR.

For me a 2 or 3 note figure that appears throughout some of the Shire sequences as background to the actual Shire themes does not deserve to be called a theme itself.

I prefer the Williams, Goldsmith, Horner approach to themes as applicable to their movies. I have no problems with Shore's more slight, abstract sprinkling of musical signatures and even like and appreciate them very much, but I do object to folks claiming this stuff to be actual themes.

Mine 9and Lee's) opinion is to be considered a theme, something has to have a little more meat on it's bones then a lot of the stuff that is passed of as a theme in LOTR.

For me a 2 or 3 note figure that appears throughout some of the Shire sequences as background to the actual Shire themes does not deserve to be called a theme itself.

If using a word theme offends your sensibilities in those cases, think of them as musical ideas or accompaniment figures instead of themes. But they all have a leitmotific purpose, either a major or a minor one.

Time stamps, Jason, time stamps!

In the video below, you can hear it at 0:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMifMVmoUyg

And here at 0:18:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87DuIi4CHDs

Or even here at 0:26 (perhaps the most easy statement to spot, I'd say):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MFl5XwBHmw

mi48QK5.png

Must be because I'm getting on a bit, but I'm also not really interested in listening to these score with a pen and paper, hunting for possible new undiscovered motifs. I prefer listening to music rather then analysing it.

It's great of you suddenly catch something you had not heard before in a cue, but it's not my main reason for listening.

"What is this new themery?"

Oh you guys crack me up! :lol:

I certainly enjoy just listening to music without making a catalogue of every small theme/motif/idea I hear. I do not think Shore's approach takes away from that experience at all.

You could see it when I originally hosted it on imageshack? Because on both mobile devices I tried, I could not. It wasn't visible. I had to email it it to myself and rehost it with imgur, it was a massive faff and I was reminded why I can't be bothered contributing here lately. Never mind.

The mobile functionality of this forum is sole of the shoe dog shit, has been for ages.

The truth is Steef, when you and I significantly reduce our activity here the atmosphere and banter of the place nose dives and it feels like a ghost town.

You could see it when I originally hosted it on imageshack? Because on both mobile devices I tried, I could not. It wasn't visible. I had to email it it to myself and rehost it with imgur, it was a massive faff and I was reminded why I can't be bothered contributing here lately. Never mind.

Yeah I could see it without problems.

I do not know about mobile devices though. I don't have one with internet connection.

I am old school, remember. I use writing tablets, papyri and carrier pidgeons at home for my mail.

After I have hunted one down and killed it with my bare hands, naturally. If I am in a hurry I just run alongside one, write on the side of the beast and kill it after. Quick messaging I call it.