John Williams Concert in Amsterdam, July 19

It's a very conservative programme, certainly more so than the one I attended last week.

But... it always works, no matter how many times you hear it.

Karol

Indeed. Plus I would love to hear Flight to Neverland. I have never heard it in a concert.

And The Adventures Of Mutt, and Marion's Theme (new arrangement), Jason.

I just wish they would play The Adventures of Mutt a bit faster in concerts. All the versions I have heard do not match the swashbuckling pace of the original. It should be played fast and furious.

Oh and the concert version of Marion's Theme is just sublime and doesn't really get old no matter how many times you hear it.

And The Adventures Of Mutt, and Marion's Theme (new arrangement), Jason.

I just wish they would play The Adventures of Mutt a bit faster in concerts. All the versions I have heard do not match the swashbuckling pace of the original. It should be played fast and furious.

I think that has more to do with the difficulty of the piece than an artistic decision. Every JW concert I've been to, the fast stuff is always played much too slow.

It was ok. It wasn't Concertgebouw Orchestra level but it was good enough. Selections were all safe choices but it didnt bother me that much. I especially enjoyed Wihrl Through Academe (although in the midst of the excitement one of the cellists dropped his bow on the floor) and the woodwind arrangement from HP. Also Flight to Neverland was decent. Only Jurassic Park was a big mess...it was even embarrasing at moments. But overall i was very happy to hear JWs music come to life in The Concertgebouw!

It's a very conservative programme, certainly more so than the one I attended last week.

Probably, but that can be forgiven considering an all JW program is extremely rare in The Netherlands. I mean it's not like Boston or Tanglewood where they have a concert each year, so they can offer more unusual selections.

I was supposed to go with my sister, but she c=had to cancel. (she was walking in the walk Of The World, 160 kilometers in 4 days, so she would be too exhausted). So I took my ex instead. Her first "classical' concert of any kind.

The concert opened with Raiders March. A very well done rendition. Brass was nice and punchy.

The suit from Crystal Skull consisted of The Adventures Of Mutt, the new arrangement of Marion's Theme, Call Of The Crustal and A Whirl Through Academe.

While I don't enjoy the score as a whole, the highlights are good.

I love this version of Marion's Theme. It's amazing that JW went back to this piece decades later and extended it, yet it sounds like he could have written it like that in 1981.

Call Of Thye Crystal works better live then on CD, without that "theremin" like instrument. Academe was fun.

Then were the 2 pieces from Schindler's List. Lorenzo gatto was the solist. He performed with skill and a bit of passion. I never heard Remembrances live before,. It's really a great piece.

Then that old fan-favorite "Adventures On Earth". Naturally the concert version, which omits the "Flying"segment. I've heard this twice before. It's a good piece though. Performance was good, but during the "Saying Goodbye part, the conductor moved way to fast with some of the crucial parts (the building string theme) therefore it felt a bit rushed.

After the Intermission they started with Theme from Jurassic Park.

I disagree with MSM that it was a mess. Unlike many other version the tempo of the Main Theme was not too fast (even JW plays it too fast in concerts) and had real power. The journey to the island bit was good, but no version Iév heard in concert ever comes close to matching the majesty of the film performance. You just can't get a trumpet to play that up front unless you amp it.

Suite from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Not a clue why they didnt use Philosopher's)

Started off with Hedwig's Theme, a rousing performance. Then two pieces from the children's suite. The ominous treatment of the Stone motif first (it actually sounds like a early version of Call Of The Crystal. It builds in the same way), and (i think) Nimbus 2000. Last part was a lovely rendition of Harry's Wondrous World. This really is one of the best pieces Williams has written in the 2000's. And up there with his best work.

Flight From Neverland was next. I question the decision to play this right after Harry Potter. The performance was good. But I can't recall anything of it for some reason.

I never ever heard anything played from Jaws in Concert, so finally hearing The Shark Theme was great. Bass was nice and growls, and loved the pounding percussion and low piano registers. Hearing it in concert really bring out the primal, almost savage nature of the theme.

The concert ended with star Wars, as one would expect. This rendition was as solid as any i've heard. The violins really came though very well from where I was sitting. The Dutch Symphony Orchestra has a good string section.

Encore wasn't much, they just repeated the last part of Star Wars.

I had a great time. The orchestra was solid, the sound of the Concertgebouw was amazing. The seat felt a bit cramped (but that might have something to do with my 40km walk). Ketu was very impressed by her first concert.

all in all a good day out.

I was there too. Overall I liked it, I thought ET was a mess and some parts were played too fast (Jurassic Park!). But this is the first JW concert I've ever and I'm very happy I went.

After the Intermission they started with Theme from Jurassic Park.

I disagree with MSM that it was a mess. Unlike many other version the tempo of the Main Theme was not too fast (even JW plays it too fast in concerts) and had real power. The journey to the island bit was good, but no version Iév heard in concert ever comes close to matching the majesty of the film performance. You just can't get a trumpet to play that up front unless you amp it.

Well, I dont want to pinpoint it, but it really was. All HP performances, ET and Indy selections were way better, I think they spent their rehearsal time on those pieces. It was like they were sight reading JP. The french horn opening was full of glitches and the 1st player hardly could reach the octave. The timpanist played his semiquavers twice too fast (at fortissimo) after the exposition of the main theme, and the whole orchestra was lost for a couple of bars. Also half the orchestra wasnt aware of the crescendo towards the Island Fanfare, so it's opening was a big anti-climax, and then they started the fanfare at breakneck speed...at places I was afraid the entire thing would go out of hand, but in the last few bars they ended up simultaneously. It was quite a stressful event to listen too, honestly. It must have been stressful for the players as well. I was sitting frontrow, maybe it didnt help.

As for the rest I agree with your report. The orchestra was pretty good trhoughout. Also the Shcindlers List pieces had a wonderful soloist, I know how difficult the pieces are regarding intonation and phrasing. As I said, I think the JP piece just suffered from a lack of rehearsal time.

No!

I wasn t sure if I would go for a long time, then I bought one of the last tickets, then didnt think of meeting. I did look out for you though, but couldnt spot you.

I was there too. Overall I liked it, I thought ET was a mess and some parts were played too fast (Jurassic Park!). But this is the first JW concert I've ever and I'm very happy I went.

I agree fully. I have seen some film music concerts by the North Ntherlands Orchestra, but a full JW program in the CG was way cooler :-)

Some conductors think they can convey musical emotions better with hands, especially in lyrical pieces with smaller ensembles like when conducting Schindler's List. Some conductors never use a baton though. Matter of personal preference. Have you noticed which pieces were conducted with and without?

I think the two Schindlers List pieces and all of the second half were without baton. I was sitting near the centre f row 5 and had a good view of the conductor.

The violinist was good in the two SL pieces, he was also play acting the raw emotion on his face the moment the orchestra started playing. I hate that! Just play the piece! Convey your emotions into music!