Gravity "Best British Film" at BAFTAS

Quintus

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a551609/baftas-2014-gravity-best-british-film-win-sparks-online-debate.html

When I read on the news that it'd been given that award I was baffled. Gravity is an American film built and shot in the UK, just like Star Wars was. So according to BAFTA George Lucas' movie is a British one. Yeah right.

I forgot it was BAFTAS last night.

Anyhow, beside amazing FXs, I still don't understand what people see in Gravity.

That the Brits claim it to be British is strange indeed. It's a Hollywood film written and directed by a Mexican and shot in an English studio.

I didn't feel good after watching Gravity. I was merely puzzled as to why people called it the 2001: ASO killer. I saw nothing special. Oscar or BAFTA doesn't mean a thing: 1) Film is not sports where the best is something you can measure with a stopwatch 2) The awards are mainly self-serving to the film industry.

Alex

According to reports it was an American financed production... hence the controversy. This is easy and natural to believe as a Brit: because we just don't produce movies that look like Gravity, especially with Hollywood stars.

And no it's not best picture quality, but since the meaning of that award was lost years ago it's absolutely no surprise that a trending movie like Gravity is considered best pic awards material.

This Cremers like snobism is unbecoming of you, Lee.

Ofcourse Gravity is an BAFTA worthy film! As for the Oscars, they love films about triumph over adversity, not giving up, the strength of the human soul, moving on after the death of a loved one.

I'm hoping it will win.

I didn't feel good after watching Gravity. I was merely puzzled as to why people called it the 2001: ASO killer.

Who called it that? No one here did.

In terms of special effects and the depiction of outer space, sure. But not in philosophical content.

I didn't feel good after watching Gravity. I was merely puzzled as to why people called it the 2001: ASO killer.

Who called it that? No one here did.

I didn't say it was 'here' ...

What you consider the films flaws, i consider part of its style.

Which to me was the film's biggest letdown.

And since Quint and I agree it means that snobbery has nothing to do with it. The only awards Gravity should get are technical awards such as FX and sound. After all, that's the film's main focus.

Alex

It's a technical evolution. CGI in games and movies will always get better. Gravity is another step up. Before Gravity it was Avatar. I do think a space environment is probably easier to mimic with a computer than an ordinary domestic scene on Earth (a street, nature, normal everyday clothing) .

I agree, but it's not just space. I still can't believe all the space suits are 100% CGI as well. That's what blew me away the most. for all the exterior scenes only the actors faces are "real".

I have no idea who did the effects BTW, was it ILM? Weta?

I believe a films country of origin status is usually determined on where their production companies are from/based. David Heyman was one of the producers and Heyman Films was one of the production companies. Therefore it qualifies as a co-British film.

I can't believe you people are actually answering the question.

The reason why I know the head was real and the rest was not is because Sandra's hair didn't float.