The Unattainability Hypothesis – Does it work in reverse?

BLUMENKOHL

If I wanted ambient/electronic-based music, I wouldn't hire Williams, full stop.

Granted, there's some stuff in War of the Worlds which hints at what he might do, but that doesn't mean that's where his strengths are.

Is he capable? From a contractual viewpoint, I think so yes - composers deliver what they're asked for. Would it be the best of its type? That's a question only fanboys would say yes to.

Exactly, if you hear the more texturized work (A.I., WOTW, Minority Report), it just doesn't work as powerful as what other composers can do. I know that scores like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo here get a lot of bad rep, but they are great textural compositions that are more towards sound design. Sound design is an important part of music, from Herrmann to Goldsmith, they have worked with it at different levels.

I would say, that John's talent is wasted by asking him to go away from a classical repertoire and instrumentation.

Exactly, if you hear the more texturized work (A.I., WOTW, Minority Report), it just doesn't work as powerful as what other composers can do.

That isn't John in is 'textural' mode. Look to what pubs listed (NIXON/SLEEPERS/ROSEWOOD/LOST WORLD) and compare them to the more 'out there' scores of the mid-to-late 90s.