Concerning William Ross

Please could any of you JW fans out there tell me what the exact role William Ross played in Harry Potter -Chamber of Secrets, apart from conducting the LSO?

Did he actually write any of the music and if so what tracks?

Another little question . What has happened to Alexander Courage. I hope that he is still with us!

Thank all .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Willam Ross took some of previews Williams's scores and put them together for a few scenes.

I think you can tell which ones are the newly written queues and the stitched up music.

I suppose that was done due to the fact that Williams was too busy to write the whole score?

But the new tracks i.e The spiders and the main themes are fantastic!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mr. Courage orchestrate a great many of Mr. Goldsmith's scores? Does Mr. Courage not orchestrating mean "the Jerry Goldsmith" sound is going to change or has changed? I haven't heard any of his scores lately, so I don't know.

~Harry

Courage has indeed been a long-time collaborator of Goldsmith. However, I think Goldsmith's orchestral sketches are about as detailed as Williams', so the orchestrators don't really have that much influence.

Marian - who thinks he read this in several discussions on the various boards. :)

Courage has indeed been a long-time collaborator of Goldsmith. However, I think Goldsmith's orchestral sketches are about as detailed as Williams', so the orchestrators don't really have that much influence.

Marian - who thinks he read this in several discussions on the various boards. :spiny:

But the orchestrators must have more work with Goldsmith's scores than Williams's scores since they get credited on Goldsmith's albums, correct?

~Harry

:spiny:

Dunno,after Legend his sound is DEFINATELY different.Dunno how to explain it.

K.M.

Of course it is. But he changed his entire style in the mid-80s. If you attribute that to the orchestrators, you're basically saying Goldsmith does hardly write anything himself.

I'd say is just a conscious stylistic change by himself.

Marian - who knows Goldsmith's concert works sound like his movie scores from the same times.

Williams' albums make it seem like he does everything.

Not really. There's (generally) the curious omission of an orchestration credit, probably because Williams isn't responsible for the entire orchestration process. I'm not saying that Williams's sketches aren't largely complete but that obviously he's not doing all the dirty work himself and thus cannot claim the "orchestrated by" credit.

On the other hand, other albums usually credit the orchestrators (unless they're "composed and orchestrated by" the composer). Williams' scores have these credits in the movie credits, but not on the albums.

On the other hand, other albums usually credit the orchestrators (unless they're "composed and orchestrated by" the composer). Williams' scores have these credits in the movie credits, but not on the albums.

True,

Elliot Goldenthal has a co-orchestrations credits and Howard Shore has orchestrator's credits on Lord of the Ring (probably because he had the luxury of time to do the job him self?-I am not sure)

True,

Elliot Goldenthal has a co-orchestrations credits and Howard Shore has orchestrator's credits on Lord of the Ring (probably because he had the luxury of time to do the job him self?-I am not sure)

As a rule, composers such as Howard Shore and Don Davis do their own orchestrations in their entirety.

Not really. There's (generally) the curious omission of an orchestration credit, probably because Williams isn't responsible for the entire orchestration process. I'm not saying that Williams's sketches aren't largely complete but that obviously he's not doing all the dirty work himself and thus cannot claim the "orchestrated by" credit.

It is unlikely that he leaves any composition (and instrument selection) up to the orchestrator. I quite see Williams point, why credit an orchestrator as an orchestrator when he's really a composers assistant or perhaps copyist.

More likely he's a control freak or something. :)

It is unlikely that he leaves any composition (and instrument selection) up to the orchestrator. I quite see Williams point, why credit an orchestrator as an orchestrator when he's really a composers assistant or perhaps copyist.

Why not credit himself as the orchestrator, then? You're missing the point...

Because in hollywood orchestrator is a job title, not merely like a part of the process of composing.... sort of thing. Because these glorified copyists do the work that that any orchestrator does minius some steps they are orchestrators.