Thoughts on "Flying" theme from E.T. (yet again)?

Pelzter

I just bought the UK E.T. 3-disc DVD-set (containing both versions in DTS, as with the US Gift Set, only without the soundtrack CD) and as I watched Elliot fly off the cliff in stunningly beautiful DTS-ES Surround Sound (and I have a pretty good setup), I came to the personal conclusion, that the "Flying" theme from E.T. must be John's most soaring and uplifting piece ever. Thoughts on this (as well as the excellent sound on the E.T. DVD)?

--Pelzter.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should have (if it was practical, which it wasn't) edited the film so that the entire theme could play during the first flight, as is heard in E.T.s Halloween.

One of Mr. Williams' very best themes, and my personal favorite. Especially when complemented with the film, it is a truly magical and exhilarating experience.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes,my favourite rendition is on the yet -unreleased- after -3 -albums "E.T. is Dying" film cue,(which oddly Williams also used in his 2002 live re-recording,so it beats the hell out of me why it's not on any of the c.d.releases).

K.M.

It's definately one of his best. The melody is beautifully constructed, and the harmonic progression is very unusual and jazzy, which is one major factor as to why it remains so interesting.