BloodBoal

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=879339;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

This is pretty funny actually. There's almost an insinuation that Thranduil has been unwilling to fully embrace his son all these years. Join the club!

It has been confirmed to be in the appendices (at least part of it).

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=879339;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

This is pretty funny actually. There's almost an insinuation that Thranduil has been unwilling to fully embrace his son all these years. Join the club!

What a god-awful line.

Yep. I think some people are in danger of being carried away with all the scenes they left out, as though everything omitted should have been included. Some were deleted for good reason, and I think this to be one of them.

Here's the thing: If your second beat of a two-beat sub-story doesnt' work and you want to cut it, then you have to cut the set-up beat from the film too!

Per an item on your AUJ list BB - that guy on TORN found this in the appendices:

There was a scene with dwarves driving a cart through what I assume is Greenwood, and Thranduil wears a crown of berries. Not much shared about it, but it's nice to see something besides Erebor was planned for the prologue.

I could have happily gone for a longer prologue.

Apparently BOTFA EE Appendices has a LOTR deleted scene too....

False alarm, its just the scene of Gimli wishing he had an army of Dwarves from ROTK.

Some of the Palantir scene is in the Appendices:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=879060;page=6;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;#879468

Well, I guess that re-confirms that what he/we would have seen in the palantir is a vision of Sauron using Smaug to lead an attack army. Damn, would have been cool to see that - especially since the music is so cool!

Jim hasn't seen any footage we haven't, I don't think - he just has access to paperwork and music and Doug's stories of what he saw.

Jim hasn't seen any footage we haven't, I don't think.

Well apparently either he saw the little girl being healed by Tauriel, or read the paperwork about it.

Fal is right. I remember Doug saying that Gandalf did NOT see Smaug leading Sauron's armies in the Palantir.

Interesting.

Found his post:

Shouldn't it have been an image of Smaug leading Sauron's armies, as per the Chronicles book?

It wasn't that.

How could Sauron see Smaug leading his armies in the Palantir if that action never happened?

This is actually where PJ screwed up in FOTR. By showing the Shire in ruins when Frodo looks into the Palantir, but not including the scouring of the Shire.

The shot of Sam in chains is stupid!

The Palantir doesn't show a future that never happened. Not in the book.

Dol Guldur Palantir shots:

CRyv4zsUEAAN57M.jpgCRyv42EUAAQkQLm.jpg

Apparently at one point Gandalf was going to chase Sauron "to the Sea of Rhun, southeast of Erebor. The idea was that Sauron would climb to the talk of this tall rock with a seeing seat (think Amon Hen), and Gandalf would chase him to the top, whereat Sauron would disappear. This got vetoed because, in fact, Gandalf needs to get to the Battle to warn his friends of the impending danger. And so we have "leave Sauron to me."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=879060;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#879479

My point stands.

Because Sauron is showing him his plan.

By showing the Shire in ruins when Frodo looks into the Palantir

Frodo never looked into the Palantir....

Why is the palantir scene in the BOFA appendixes instead of the DOS appendixes?

Probably because they wanted to discuss all of the Dol Guldur stuff in once place after everyone had seen the films?

The palantir itself can?

Apparently:

"we conjectured that there may very well have been a Palantir in there. in the end, we realize we didn't need it. And so it's there for keen eyes to spot."

Hey BB watching the Beorn appendice of DOS there are some extra bits for Gandalf's introduction of the Company.

How could Sauron see Smaug leading his armies in the Palantir if that action never happened?

This is actually where PJ screwed up in FOTR. By showing the Shire in ruins when Frodo looks into the Palantir, but not including the scouring of the Shire.

The shot of Sam in chains is stupid!

The Palantir doesn't show a future that never happened. Not in the book.

Hey they are already bending Tolkien backwards in this film so what is another "interpretation" on the qualities of Palantír. And no the Seeing-stone only saw the present and the "reality" or what was shown to the viewer if a stronger will and other Palantír was present but they could not see to the future.

The palantir itself can?

Apparently:

"we conjectured that there may very well have been a Palantir in there. in the end, we realize we didn't need it. And so it's there for keen eyes to spot."

I am so glad that scene was not in the film. Damn you PJ and your Tolkien twisting ways! Plus Dol Guldur was never a Númenorean fortress and there certainly were no "extra" Palantír lying around.

There will be countless examples of those small tweaks. The script was as we know literally rewritten daily.