No Religious Discussion!!

I, personally, don't see the point of delving into the philosophical perspective of Superman. To me, there are movies worth doing that with, and there are some that aren't. Who cares if it's about self-coordination? It's just a fun story. Not only that, but Donner made it more fun by his direction. That's it. Superman's a fine superhero, but he's not someone I look up to. The ultimate superhero is Christ, in my book. I strive to be more like Him than Superman or Batman. Sure, Superman and Batman are fine heroes and do great moral things in the comics, but both of them combined still don't match Christ and what He did. Ban me and delete this if you like.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I won't make you a martyr. I will ask that you and other members here respect the rules and keep the religious discussions away from this board. E-mail and instant messengers and the private message feature of this board are fine for that.

Neil

I thought opinions weren't wrong, though, Neil?

Please quote where I said you're opinion is wrong. I'm just asking you to respect the rules of this board. If you want to continue this portion of the debate, feel free to PM me. I'll be more than receptive to anything you have to say.

Neil

But, can't you read, this MB has certain Rules, atleast have the decency to follow them.

Yeah, I can read. I read this rule below, too.

01 - Personal attacks or offensive language will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

You know...now that I look at the wording of that rule, it contradicts rule #4. My difference of opinion wasn't allowed for and I was made to feel like I couldn't post my view on this forum, both, for one reason: it was a religious opinion. Even though the only thing religious about it was Christ's association with religion. Though, He was a historical figure. That's fairly well proven through Roman and Jewish sources from the time. Therefore, He's fair grounds to look up to just like Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, the Dalai Lama, Paul Newman, Mohandas Gandhi, or George Washington. You can easily substitute any of those people for Christ in my post and you'd still get a post that would make just as much sense, though it wouldn't be my opinion anymore. An atheist could say what I said about Christ. Maybe I'm an atheist that got fed up with the Church and its antics and not the great moral teachings of Christ? That's obviously not the case, looking at my username and sig pic, but it very well could have been and the same argument would apply if you, Neil and Steef, had gone against it then, too.

Another thing...it's ironic that you're afraid of debates about politics and religion, yet there's been one nice, little flamewar going on about Superman for the past few days! And Superman is the kind of thing we're SUPPOSED to talk about here! I think if people want to have at each other over anything, they will; and if they want to unite in disunity on any subject, they will. It's stupid that when the freedom of speech gets taken away, so does the freedom to act civilized. A few people here probably couldn't control themselves if you let them talk about politics or religion; they barely can just talking about John Williams, films, and film scores. However, let them learn the lessons and leave the rest of us who know the art and science of self-control to exercise our freedom to speak.

Another thing to think about is that we would still be talking about Superman in this thread if rule #4 wasn't a ban on religion and politics here. It'd be like, "Hey! That Christian kid's got an opinion about Jebus! That's great! What do you think about this Superman thing, Delmar?" But here were are, just squabbling about something goofy. "Aww...he said the word Christ! I'm telling! Awww!" Come on, let's grow up and throw out the people that can't.

(BTW, I didn't PM this to anyone because I felt like it should be open for public debate. I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same way I do. Split the thread, too, if that's the case.)

Listen, you have not been here for cvery long.

Before Ricard made these MB Rules people would get into Religious debates and political debates of all sorts, they turned into arguments, sometimes bitter ones.

The reason politics and religion are banned is not because the owner of this forum disaproves of them, they are here to avoid the nasty arguments we used to have and to focus the MB more towards film and film music discussion.

I'm sure many of the veteran posters, many of which have similar beliefs as you will confirm this.

In the end it is all about respecting Ricard's wish to keep this MB a nice place to visit.

You get it now?

Stefancos- who is sure Religion and politics can be duscussed on more appropriate forums.

My difference of opinion wasn't allowed for and I was made to feel like I couldn't post my view on this forum, both, for one reason: it was a religious opinion.

That is quite correct.

Even though the only thing religious about it was Christ's association with religion.  Though, He was a historical figure.  That's fairly well proven through Roman and Jewish sources from the time.  Therefore, He's fair grounds to look up to just like Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, the Dalai Lama, Paul Newman, Mohandas Gandhi, or George Washington.  You can easily substitute any of those people for Christ in my post and you'd still get a post that would make just as much sense, though it wouldn't be my opinion anymore.

Er, there is a difference. You know how they say Christ was the son of God? That changes things a little bit.

An atheist could say what I said about Christ.  Maybe I'm an atheist that got fed up with the Church and its antics and not the great moral teachings of Christ?  That's obviously not the case, looking at my username and sig pic, but it very well could have been and the same argument would apply if you, Neil and Steef, had gone against it then, too.

That made little, to no sense.

"Christ was a phony and everybody who follows him is a jerk". No, I'm not saying that, don't jump on my neck (I, too, am a Christian). But what if somebody had replied that to you? I don't know you enough to predict it, but I don't think you'd just let it go. Some people just don't think the same as you regarding Christ, and if they say it out loud, and then you say your opinion out loud, and then you try to get louder than the other... and things get ugly.

It's not like we don't know what we're talking about. We've had some history debating these things in the board before they were banned.

Another thing...it's ironic that you're afraid of debates about politics and religion, yet there's been one nice, little flamewar going on about Superman for the past few days!  And Superman is the kind of thing we're SUPPOSED to talk about here!

If we get like this about Superman, a character whom we both love, just envision how we would get when discussing politics, lifestyles, and different (and contradictory to each other) religions.

I think if people want to have at each other over anything, they will; and if they want to unite in disunity on any subject, they will.  It's stupid that when the freedom of speech gets taken away, so does the freedom to act civilized.  A few people here probably couldn't control themselves if you let them talk about politics or religion; they barely can just talking about John Williams, films, and film scores.  However, let them learn the lessons and leave the rest of us who know the art and science of self-control to exercise our freedom to speak.  

Would you react the same if I insulted Christ than if I insulted, say, Oliver Stone?

Another thing to think about is that we would still be talking about Superman in this thread if rule #4 wasn't a ban on religion and politics here.  It'd be like, "Hey!  That Christian kid's got an opinion about Jebus!  That's great!  What do you think about this Superman thing, Delmar?"  But here were are, just squabbling about something goofy.  "Aww...he said the word Christ!  I'm telling!  Awww!"  Come on, let's grow up and throw out the people that can't.

You had to be warned so that you wouldn't do it again in another post. You may agree or not with the rules, but you have to abide them.

(BTW, I didn't PM this to anyone because I felt like it should be open for public debate.  I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same way I do.  Split the thread, too, if that's the case.)

Privately is better. We've discussed this SO MANY times openly. And, although I'm sure this will not be the last post in this thread about this, I'm sure this will be my LAST post about this.

BTW, I didn't PM this to anyone because I felt like it should be open for public debate.

And I don't, which is why I specifically said do not discuss here it anymore. You leave me no option other than to ban you for a week. I really didn't want to do that, and I thought I was quite clear.

Neil

The ultimate superhero is Christ, in my book.  I strive to be more like Him than Superman or Batman.  Sure, Superman and Batman are fine heroes and do great moral things in the comics, but both of them combined still don't match Christ and what He did.  Ban me and delete this if you like.

I knew it,ever since day 1 I saw your screename and signature I knew it was only a matter of time before it came to that.

K.M.

The ultimate superhero is Christ, in my book.  I strive to be more like Him than Superman or Batman.  Sure, Superman and Batman are fine heroes and do great moral things in the comics, but both of them combined still don't match Christ and what He did.  Ban me and delete this if you like.

I knew it,ever since day 1 I saw your screename and signature I knew it was only a matter of time before it came to that.

K.M.

Mark, there was no need to bring this back up and debate it. He's been banned for a week for events stemming from this post and attacking his views after he was down was uncalled for. See you next Tuesday.

If people cannot grasp this concept, here it is. We cannot discuss anything religious here.If you see a post that seems to discuss religion in some way, the best thing that I would recommend would be to shut the f**k up and not reply to it. I can handle this and it will prevent further bannings.

I'm not some sort of tyrant on a power trip, I merely want to keep this place civil.

Neil