"These guys have dumbed down a comic book."

Hlao-roo

I was very amused to encounter that sentence, which occupies its own paragraph, in the review of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the Los Angeles Times. Yay for summer movies...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still wanna see it.

Hector - who thinks Connery can be a better action hero than Harrison Ford right now.

;) Goldsmith Music for Orchestra

London Symphony Orchestra

Jerry Goldsmith

The film is getting terrible reviews. :)

Makes me feel bad. I was hoping this could be a real winner. I was hoping to see a real good connery film.

Also makes me feel bad. I was really looking forward to LXG and Pirates of The Carribean- but so far all I'm hearing is that LXG is really bad and that Pirates is another run-of-the-mill action/adventure movie.

And I've heard nothing good about both potentialy great scores.

Although I'm still gonna see both. Despite his one star, Roger Ebert's discription of the begining of LXG sounds like something I'd love to see, and I'm a huge Depp/Rush fan, so despite not liking Bloom or Verbinski- I'll see Pirates.

Depite what the reviews are saying, I enjoyed The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Nothing great, but it was entertaining.

Neil

Alot of people want to see LXG because of Connery, i personaly never liked Connery. THe only summer movie i'm waiting for is Bad Boys 2.

Hector - wondering why are there no brothers in HP.

What about the Weasley's (or however it's spelled)?

Neil - responding to Hector's very poorly worded comment (and knowing full well that this isn't the answer he wanted).

If Hector is talking about people of brown skin color, there was one in the first film, she was the announcer at the Quidditch match.

Personally i'm glad they kept Hogwarts mostly white and British, so that it did not look like Spielberg's american- multi-etnic version of NeverLand in Hook.

Stefancos- who thinks Spielberg could atleast have included ONE British kid amongst those Lost Boys. :)

LOL

That was enlightning.

Hector - wondering why are there no brothers in HP. No equal oportunity at Hogwarts, huh?

The lack of diversity is probably the least of Hogwarts' problems at the moment. ;)

Needless to say, though, I expect that if the author of the series were of African descent, we'd see a greater proportion of Blacks among the different houses. I suppose Rowling was somewhat daring to fashion an Asian as Harry's adolescent love interest, if not progressive enough to make her Black.

i personaly never liked Connery. THe only summer movie i'm waiting for is Bad Boys 2.

There are so many things wrong with that sentence that I don't even know were to begin.....

Stefancos- ;)

Enlighten me Stefancos why is that wrong?

If Hector is talking about people of brown skin color, there was one in the first film, she was the announcer at the Quidditch match.  

Unfortunately, that was a boy: Lee Jordan, the Weasley twins' best friend. But, yes, in the film he sounded like a girl. Also, Dean Thomas, a Gryffindor in Harry's year and I believe Angelina Johnson, a Gryffindor chaser, are both black.

Ray Barnsbury

Lee Jordan, the Weasley twins' best friend. But, yes, in the film he sounded like a girl.

What???? He looks strongly like a girl as well.... That can not be a boy! I don't believe it.

Hector - wondering why are there no brothers in HP. No equal oportunity at Hogwarts, huh?

Well it's a British school, they'd be called blacks there wouldn't they? ;)

Why would a British school be as diverse as a school in the great melting pot, USA, anyway.

I'll tell you why, you'd rather see some damn rap movie than something with the high skill and style of Connery :D It's like comparing Zimmer to Mozart....

Morn - Who suggests Hector watch the movie again, I noticed a black male as well

Unfortunately, that was a boy: Lee Jordan, the Weasley twins' best friend.

True, though I too was convinced that he was a girl, until I saw COS, where he shows slight traces of a beard. ;)

I'll tell you why, you'd rather see some damn rap movie than something with the high skill and style of Connery ;) It's like comparing Zimmer to Mozart....

The reason i would rather see that is because LXG looks too farfetched. I usualy don't step foot in a movie theater during the summer because it reaks of bad movies. I want to see Bad Boy 2 because it's a break from my usual dramatic, beautifuly directed, well acted movies and just go to see a movie that will garuntee good fun.

Oh and i saw the first one which was realy funny.

Why would a British school be as diverse as a school in the great melting pot, USA, anyway.

Blacks have been in England as free citizens longer than in the U.S., besides, if there were a wizarding world, there would be more people of other races than whites.

Blacks have been in England as free citizens longer than in the U.S.,  

Yes, they also stopped importing them earlier.

besides, if there were a wizarding world, there would be more people of other races than whites.

If you assume that there aren't many schools around the world.