On the Nazgul theme in the FOTR

Incanus

This topic does not really belong here but others have posted LOTR threads before.

Yesterday I once again sat down to watch Fellowship of the Ring and made a surprising discovery. Almost all the choir element was stripped from the Black Rider scene as well as from the Knife in the Dark scene. The first scene has choir only in the beginning and little in the end when the hobbits run for the ferry and the second scene has the chant in the beginning of it but once Frodo falls down the cue turns into the basic Nazgul ostinato without chorus. This made me little disappointed since the theme itself without the choir is not very effective (just your basic suspence underscore), but then again the film required these changes not to muffle up the sound effects and not to distract the action.

Before I would have liked to have the movie versions of these cues but now the album cues feel much better listening-wise. The theme needs the choir to be impressive even though it is effective without it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you forgetting the "They Are Coming" cue? When the four Nazgul slam down the gates and slide by the cowering innkeeper, on their way to the hobbit room. I believe that cue has the full choral rendition.

The reason I did't include the track At the sign of the Prancing Pony is because it has the choir, which is good. My point is that the two other scenes don't in such large amount they have on the CD because of the dramatic tension they wanted to achieve. The album has choir in abundand but I was wondering the difference in the movie itself.

Also I have heard a weird alternate version of the Nazgul stabbing the beds in the Prancing pony scene on one of the documentaries on the EE where it had a choir. Furiously chanting female choir if I remeber correctly.

Actually, all of the Wraith scenes n FOTR have the choir, but the ound affects drown alot of it out. i know this because i was following the choir with the lyrics.

I listened through the earphones and I did not hear the choir in the Weather top sequnce after Frodo falls down and Witch King approaches just the Nazgul ostinato.

The initial encounter with the Ringwraith is partly scored with choir but when the hobbits are in the dark forest and they see a Nazgul riding away just before one attacks them does not have choir. This is the case with Extrended edition anyway.

like is said, the Sound effects drown out the choir alot. it makes the brass more prominent. but i did follow all of the wraith scenes with the lyrics and it worked fine. (there is one scene w/o choir, when they stab the pillows in bree"