O.T. James Horner's Titanic soundtrack, in DTS surround.

I just this CD, i was wondering if it was a DVD-A or SACD or another format.

The cover gave no indication if it was DVD-A or SACD, it only had a line saying "DIGITAL SURROUND PLAYBACK REQUIRES THE USE OF A DTS DECODER"

I assume this means i can play it on my regular DVD player, but i wanna be sure.

Stefancos- who bought it in a case of 'impulse purchase', but will not break the seal untill he's sure he can actually play it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have a DTS decoder, you won't get any sound when you play it on your DVD player.

Or if you have a DVD-ROM for your computer, programs like PowerDVD will play it...just not very loud, unless you have an amplifier.

At least with DVDs, when they utilize DTS sound, it also includes an alternate Dolby Digital track, usually in 2 channel. I'm not sure the same can be said for DVD Audio....

As far as I know, those are regular CDs. It's just that the audio is encoded in DTS, so you won't hear anything too pleasant without a DTS decoder.

Marian - who doesn't have any version of that score.

:wow: :mrgreen: :evil: :mad:

And you dare to accuse ME of musical ignorrance?

Stefancos- who knows over 25 million people have the Titanic CD, and wonders why Marian doesn't :roll:

I have this version, and while I do enjoy the score, I found that it wasn't worth it to me in DTS. I paid $26 for this at a Tower Records, and was happy when I found it. BUT, I would much prefer a DVD-A version. The sound on those are FRIGGEN INCREDIBLE.

:mrgreen:

:wow: :o :evil: :mad:

Stefancos- who knows over 25 million people have the Titanic CD, and wonders why Marian doesn't :roll:

Well, I'm not one of them either!

~Harry

I have the Titanic soundtrack compliments of some user of Napster 2 years ago. And I've still never listened to it. Maybe someday. But Steef, if you have a DTS decoder, you can enjoy this disc in 5.1!

Neil

That's what I've been doing occasionally. :o

Because I've never heard the score. I like several Horner scores, some of them a lot. But I don't trust him enough to blindly buy his CDs - particularly not if they're as controversial as this one.

Marian - whose favourite Horner score is STILL Sneakers.

Tahiti is not in Europe!

Because I've never heard the score. I like several Horner scores, some of them a lot. But I don't trust him enough to blindly buy his CDs - particularly not if they're as controversial as this one.

Since when is Titanic a controversial score?

Please tell me that you atleast have his Star Trek scores. :)

Stefancos- who thinks Titanic is a great score, but not Horners best.

Since when is Titanic a controversial score?

I first went online in 1997, and the FSM board was one of the first sites I visited. Since then, I've been at FSM, MM.com and lately JWFan.net, and I've read LOTS of stuff about Titanic. And a good deal of it was very negative. Probably more than 50%, in fact.

Please tell me that you atleast have his Star Trek scores. :)

I have #2, but don't play it very often anymore, orchestrations are too thin. I have #3 as MP3s somewhere, but never played them. I love the main title (have it on a compilation), and how Horner used the TOS theme in the finale, but the CD is way too expensive.

Marian - who'd still pick up an expanded Khan.

I first went online in 1997' date=' and the FSM board was one of the first sites I visited. Since then, I've been at FSM, MM.com and lately JWFan.net, and I've read LOTS of stuff about Titanic. And a good deal of it was very negative. Probably more than 50%, in fact.

Well, about 50 % of the posts on the FSM MB regarding the Harry potter score are negative too.

It's the cliche. "if it sold millions of copies worldwide, it must be bad."

I have #2, but don't play it very often anymore, orchestrations are too thin.

I would love for you to explain to me what the heck that means.

Marian - who'd still pick up an expanded Khan.

Then there is still hope for you.

Stefancos- who will buy ANY expanded Trek score, except IV.

I have #2, but don't play it very often anymore, orchestrations are too thin.

I would love for you to explain to me what the heck that means.

Back at that time, Horner mainly wrote melodies, and added a few instruments playing background music. One of the main reasons why I like orchestral music are the possibilities of orchestrations, and the fact that I can listen to good orchestral music over and over again and hear something new everytime. But in Khan, there's nothing new there to discover - it's too thin. Aliens already has far better orchestrations.

Marian - who doesn't understand why Rosenman is so underrated.

I'm sorry, i think you must have been listening to a different Star Trek: WOK soundtrack, because the one i have has some of the best orchestrations i have ever heard.

Stefancos- who's been listening to the Rambo scores al week. ****/****

The orchestrations are fairly good, they are just simple, which is not good if you like to listen deep into it and discover new bits here and there :)

While on the topic of DVD-A does anyone have A.I. on DVD-A? I listened to it once, and was fairly impressed by it. I don't know why I haven't listened to it since. It's not like getting the promo on DVD-A, but it's still the CD, which has great music on it, too.

As for TWOK being thin...I suppose you think a thick score should be something that blows out your speakers at -80 db? I think TWOK is just as well-orchestrated as any of the well-orchestrated scores. No, it's not neat-sounding like A.I. or any of Williams' classical pieces, but it's reasonably thick.

The Wrath of Khan is a much better score than A.I. on almost any level.

A.I. is a solid 8 while Wrath of Khan is a ten, though not the same kind of 10 as ST TMP.

Joe, whose favorite part of A.I. are the songs.

i think you must have been listening to a different Star Trek: WOK soundtrack, because the one i have has some of the best orchestrations i have ever heard.

Where? :?: Some tracks have decent orchestrations, but many just have all the instruments playing the same notes.

Some tracks have decent orchestrations, but many just have all the instruments playing the same notes.

And i just love that.

Stefancos- who thinks Marian suffers from knowing to much about music, making it harder for him to enjoy it.

While on the topic of DVD-A does anyone have A.I. on DVD-A?  I listened to it once, and was fairly impressed by it.  

Out of the very few DVD-A/DTS cd's that I have (The Planets, Titanic, and A.I), A.I is the cleanest, warmest, and best sounding one. You can CLEARLY tell that the sound is actually split into six channels. It has some really nice lows, and some very clear (not ear piercing) highs. Some points, however, (the "Techno'ish" 'Flesh Fair' track comes to mind) can be very loud, and surprising, if you are not paying attention to the level of the volume. However the softer, sweeter tracks which, incidentally make this score for me, sound incredible. And the song, the duet version, not the solo, sounds incredible. It's difficult to not throw your head back and sing along.

I hope more and more scores will start to be released in this format, because they would, based on "A.I", probably sound great.

I gave "Titanic" two listens to yesterday, and I have to re-adjust my opinon on it. It does actually sound pretty good. Not anywhere near as good as "A.I", but good nonetheless (regardless of instrumentation, Horner'isms...blah blah blah).

"The Planets" disc that I have, has two versions. On one side it has a Dolby Digital 5.1 track that sounds amazing, on the other side it has a DVD-A format which sounds, bluntly, like shit in a can. Out of the two, DVD-A is the better format, yet I cannot fathom why they only have a 2 channel DVD-A, when they obviously have a 5.1/6 channel avail ON THE SAME DISC. Such a shame, for such a brilliant piece of classical music.

Crazy JOE!

Anyone, I have the DVD-A of AI. It's great, such clearity, really lets you hear more instruments.

And TWOK lacks thick counterpoint and lots of layering of instruments. Which makes it less interesting to listen to than it could be. But it's a fine score and fun.

Stefancos- who thinks Marian suffers from knowing to much about music, making it harder for him to enjoy it.

Perhaps I just know too much *good* music. :) But Morn perfectly summed up what I think myself: It could be a lot better with better orchestrations, but it's still a fine, fun score. (And I think of all Trek movie scores, Horner's best fit the TOS crew). But nothing I play too often anymore.

Marian - who wonders what a new Horner Trek score would be like. :roll:

Perhaps I just know too much *good* music. :) But Morn perfectly summed up what I think myself: It could be a lot better with better orchestrations, but it's still a fine, fun score. (And I think of all Trek movie scores, Horner's best fit the TOS crew). But nothing I play too often anymore.

Marian - who wonders what a new Horner Trek score would be like. :roll: