Recording engineer Joel Iwataki!

A24

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a mistake? :mrgreen: I only have a shitty bootleg of it.

If that shitty bootleg is the one sharing space with Monsignor, then it doesn't get any better than this, although I have to say that I never listened to the official version. Oops, I'm feeling guilty! I bought the bootleg and I realize that this is the reason why I didn't buy the official version. Oh, my God! What have I done!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Actually analogue usually only  = bad because it might be an old recording.

Analogue classical recording from the 60s and 70s often sound better than modern digital soundtrack recordings. DG's 60s and 70s recordings sound clearer than their early (first half of the 80s) digital recordings.

Marian - who thinks CE3K sounds great.

Analogue classical recording from the 60s and 70s often sound better than modern digital soundtrack recordings. DG's 60s and 70s recordings sound clearer than their early (first half of the 80s) digital recordings.

They probably got preserved with much loving, I've read that film music generally tried out the newest recording methods before classical recordings did, but they are all half rotting. :|

But I said they sound better than many NEW film recordings.

What about the Mercury Living Prescence, RCA Living Stereo and Westminster Labs albums of the 50's and 60's?

They seem to be really good as well, but the one I have (a Strauss disc conducted by Reiner) is a bit shrill. I prefer the Sony and DG recordings from the 60s on.

Marian - big DG Originals fan. :P

:| The Final Conflict (Jerry Goldsmith)

But I said they sound better than many NEW film recordings

And I said if as well preserved probably many 60's film scores would too. :|

Marian, isn't there also a big difference in the ambience between the 70s and the 90s in the DG catalogue? In the 70s their recordings were pretty "dry". The instruments seem to jump out the speakers with a lot of presence. In later titles (that started somewhere in the 80s ) the orchestra feels like it's playing in a bigger hall or that the mics were placed farther from the instruments. The sound has become more "roomy" and more reverb seems to been added to the whole. What do you think?

The only titles that still have a relatively "dry" sound (that I happen to know of) are those by The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.

---------------

Alex cremers

It probably still depends a lot on the orchestra, hall and engineer. I was mostly talking about Karajan's Berlin recordings above, which were done in the Jesus Christ Church and have rather wet acoustics (but not too wet), which I like.

Kubelik's Slavonic Dances are rather dry as far as I recall, but still not too dry, and they really sound great.

Marian - who thinks Sony recordings from the same time have more bass, at least Bernstein's with the NYPO.