Best Bets On Sheet Music?

NeejaHalycon

I'm going to be taking up piano again soon. I know it'll be awhile before I can work up to some Williams pieces, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good solo piano arrangements of his work? I saw a relatively substantial book in the music store called something like "The Best of John Williams Arranged For Easy Piano". Should I go for something like that? I know musicnotes.com has a system where you can just d/l and print sheet music. Is that something I should look into?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

If you are german speaking, then you might take a look at my website (link in signature). If not, then please be patient since I am in the last stages of overhauling the whole thing, writing tons of reviews and desperately searching for someone who will help me translate the 50-100 pages into english language. The new version will be available around May.

Just a warning - there really aren't any good (easy or otherwise) arrangements of Williams' stuff. I have a decent arrangement of the Star Wars Special Edition themes in a book that came out c. 1997 - it's published by Warner Bros. and is black with the special edition logo on most of the front. Some things are just unplayable unless you're really really good - the cantina band arrangement is hard because the planing-thirds thing just doesn't work on a piano like it does with saxophones. But the Leia's theme is all right, and the inclusion of "The Emperor's Arrival" from ROTJ is fun because the Emperor's theme is fun to play.

In general, Williams just uses too many colors and layers that the piano can't replicate and the piano arrangements are poor copies of the original. I've always been disappointed by the piano reductions, but I keep playing them anyway for some reason.

Happy hunting and good luck!

I think much of the music for JW is on the intermediate to advanced side and maybe I'm blinded by my adoration for his music but i think the arrangements are fine.

Soon, the sheet music from the CD: John Williams on Piano by Enguerrand-Friedrich LÜHL will be available...

If you don't know this ablum yet, you can ask Ren or Neil, they have already bought it :mrgreen:

I expect the sheet music to be thrilling, but also exhausting to play, and need quite a practise to play.

Philippe BL

YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA......

i CAN"T WAIT.. i'll have a recital for my friends with his arrangements. . .whoo whooooooooooooooooo