2005 JWFan Competition - Geonosis Battle task clarification

Bowie

Read the details in the post below.  

6 members have voted

1. 1.

• Full battle, roughly 12:00 (synchronised)
    • Part of battle[*], your choice 3:00-5:00 (synchronised)
    • + Part of battle[*], 3:00-5:00 (adaptation; not synchronised)

If you intend to participate in this composition task, please vote whether you would prefer to score the full twelve minutes of the Battle of Geonosis (parts I-IV, as indicated in the complete cue list) or a particular segment from the battle, of between 3 and 5 minutes in length.

+ The THIRD option is if you do not wish to synchronise your entry. If this is the chosen task, any synchronisation of entries will not be taken into consideration when voting. It would be completely optional, though unnecessary and unhelpful.

[*]Option 1 is going up against - and must receive more votes than - options 2 and 3 COMBINED. Whichever receives more votes between option 2 and 3 only distinguishes whether synchronisation is the preferred compositional task, but will nonetheless confirm a 3-5-minutes task either way.

NB: ONLY VOTE IF YOU INTEND TO PARTICIPATE. Entries are due at the beginning of April, roughly one month prior to the release of Williams' score for Revenge of the Sith.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for part of the battle synchronized. But it shouldn't be a rule that it has to be 5 minutes or less. If I get more than that done, or the whole thing, then it should still be accepted.

I think the rule should be at least 3 minutes.

For those who can't synchronise, I recommend downloading "CUE" shareware. Even if you have a PC, you can run it on Basilisk II, a mac emulator, and use an old Mac quadra ROM found easily online. I do my calculations in CUE and then import them into Overture.

I'm trying to get Overture to incorporate timing tools.

Anyone who has MOTU Performer will have no problem with timing.

Also, I have had success timing things by just playing it along with the film every few measures I compose. Just "eyeing it up" so to speak.

OLL. Such a confusing task this Battle is.

I think the task should have a maximum time also, since it would not be fair to some that 12 minutes be a valid option, as it would obviously garner at least a few extra votes because of its length, presuming it's at least desirable in quality. And also, it would defeat the purpose of people preferring the task to be only a part of the battle.

5 minutes is a fairly long time, and the task would require the more skilled composer to question what should be left out rather than in.

Thanks to John Takis's "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) - Complete Score Analysis"

(http://jwfan.net/modules.php?op=modload&na...owcontent&id=43)

THE BATTLE OF GEONOSIS I (6:21)

Mace Windu Arrives (0:06) * TPM computer game -- sqdanger1.imc

Mace Ignites His Lightsaber (0:06) * Unknown

"This party's over!" (0:06) * TPM:UE, Disc 1, Track 3 [1:55-2:01]

The Jedi Reveal Themselves (0:12) * TPM:UE, Disc 1 Track 4 [0:50-0:56/0:58-1:01/1:04-1:13]

Back to the Balcony (0:02) * TPM computer game -- sqdanger1.imc [0:08-end] (last note)

Impossibly Outnumbered (0:10) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 3 [2:02-2:13]

Super Battle Droids Advance (0:04) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 9 [3:01-end]

The Battle Begins (0:28) * TPM:OST Track 9 [1:58-2:26]

Jedi vs. Droids (0:14) * TPM:OST Track14 [0:50-1:04]

Stolen Chariot (0:40) * SW:E1 RACER computer game -- Podloop1.wav [0:01-end]/TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 33 [1:44-end]

The Battle Continues (0:32) * TPM:OST Track 9 [2:27-2:59]

The Reek Charges (0:38) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 12 [0:09-0:41]

Mace vs. Jango (0:04) * Unknown (a few looped notes)

Mace Decapitates Jango (0:03) * TPM computer game -- sqplayerdeath.imc

Jango is Dead (0:02) * Unknown (a few timpani hits)

Count Dooku and Boba React (0:08) * TPM:OST Track 13 [4:34-4:42]

Threepio Down/Aggressive Negotiations/Obi-Wan vs. The Acklay (1:06) * TPM:OST Track 5 [0:26-0:45/0:19-0:24/0:46-0:49/0:55-1:25/2:20-2:30]

"This is such a drag!" (0:20) * TPM:OST Track 9 [1:36-1:57]

Surrounded (0:39) * TPM:OST Track 5 [1:51-2:23/2:29-end]

THE BATTLE OF GEONOSIS II (1:34)

The Droids Re-activate (0:02) * Unknown (timpani rumble)

Imminent Execution (0:11) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 14 [1:02-1:13]

Send in the Clones (1:04) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 15 [0:03-0:29/0:51-0:58/1:01-1:38]

A Most Peculiar Dream (0:08) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 14 [1:00-1:08]

Boba Mourns (0:08) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 3 [1:55-2:02]

THE BATTLE OF GEONOSIS III (1:41)

Underground Chamber (0:04) * Unknown (timpani swell)

Dire Straits (0:13) * Conflict Theme (probably tracked from "The Councils Confer")

Republic Gunships (0:48) * TPM:OST Track 6 [0:03-0:48]

Spider Walker (0:08) * TPM:OST Track 10 [4:02-4:10]

"Attack those Federation Starships" (0:14) * TPM:OST Track 14 [2:27-2:41]

Reporting to Master Yoda (0:10) * TPM:OST Track 14 [3:15-3:25]

THE BATTLE OF GEONOSIS IV (1:57)

The Ultimate Weapon (0:47) * Tracked from "Spying o­n the Separatists" * Track 10 [6:45-6:50/6:08-6:51] (ends with timpani-roll snippet)

Wheel Tanks (0:10) * TPM:UE Disc 1, Track 5 [0:02-0:12]

Droid Explosion (0:05) * TPM computer game -- sqplayerdeath.imc (a few extra timpani hits tacked o­n)

The Conspirators Escape (0:26) * Tracked from "Arrival at Kamino" * Track 1 [2:13-2:39]

Concentrating All Fire (0:44) * Jedi Power Battles computer game -- Track 5 [0:15-0:59]

Attack of the Clones (0:22) * Unreleased

What Bowie has just illustrated is that the battle is in 2 large parts, the first part being 6:21, the second being II-IV in his list. So if someone wanted to do a cohesive part of the battle, 5 minutes wouldn't be enough. But someone doing a shorter piece could choose a combination from the second half.

What about just giving the following options:

Part I

Parts II-III

Parts III-IV

Parts II through IV

from part IV, the last 22 seconds are already original music, and I believe it is used in the proper place in the film.

All this being said, is there any DVD sound channel that does not have the music so at least some sound effects could be heard when we view with the new music.

Well, for about 12 minutes of full orchestra music (75 piece)? That would cost at least $2700 going through SymphonicWorkshops.com. But there would be a few extra hundred overall for the conductor, the click track use, the recording and the shipping of the recording. That could be 200 to 400 extra.

3-5 min. segment of the battle, not synchronized. That is harder to do than it looks. I think the music itself will probably be better (unless you are a real skilled composer, like maybe John Williams) without having to worry about every twist and turn. Although obviously it should reflect the onscreen action to some degree.

You know what, I think this competition HAS to be NOT synchronised, because already by having chosen the Battle of Geonosis as the final task, we seem to have lost at least 10 originally interested contestants. It would be only fair to make it a rough adaptation, or "concert arrangement" which was what many people felt comfortable doing when they voted for War of the Worlds and Goblet of Fire etc.

Go ahead and synch up your entry if you must, but I don't think this is the arena for that to be judged and rewarded.

Indeed.

Justin - Who will probably not write another cue for this competition. (IMO I can't think of a more uninspiring scene to score.) But don't let me drag you guys down. :|