I need a quick reply regarding CE3K

Morlock

I'm going to order a whole bunch of John Williams CD on Amazon.com, and I wanted to know which version of CE3K soundtrack is better- the original one or the special edition.

Also, does the special edition one have everything that was on the original, since they were renamed.

A speedy reply would be most apritiated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by special edition, do you mean collector's edition?

becuase if so, get that one. it has every note of music in the movie, as well as unused and alternate cues. it's the whole package

I only have the special edition, so can't tell you which is better, sorry! I can tell you that the special edition has previously unreleased music and the linear notes say:

The original album contained about 45 minutes of music.  Some of the cues were merged together, others were created exclusively for the album, while many were not included.  For this new release, with Steven Spielberg and John Williams generous collaboration and contribution, we've gone back to the original recording sessions of the score and selected about 78 minutes of music.  The cues are presented in the order they appear in the film, to recreate the progression of the narrative structure.  Also included are alternate and unused cues.  The cues are presented in their entirety, even those that were shortened in the film.

Hope this helps.

Morlock, i recommend you try and get both if possible. The original one arranged some tracks into suites. The collectors edition is amazing too.

I have the Collector's Edition and it is an excellent CD. Even though the movie (and the score) were made around 25 years ago, the sound quality on this CD rivals some of those that are made today. The added cues and previously unreleased tracks are an added plus also.

I only have the Collector's Edition, but I think the score's structure is particularly important in this case. It starts out very dissonant and menacing, and gradually becomes more melodic until the great finale. I understand the original album didn't have that structure, but re-arranged the cues, so it might be interesting, but I can't imagine it really doing the score justice.

And the sound on the CE is simply spectacular.

Marian - who should play that CD again.

Is the original version even still available or were you going to buy it used?

If you only plan on buying one CE3K disc, then by all means get the expanded album. Some great music on there.

Neil

by special edition, do you mean collector's edition?

becuase if so, get that one. it has every note of music in the movie, as well as unused and alternate cues. it's the whole package

Contrary to the statement above the Collectors Edition does NOT contain every note in the film.

Stefancos- :roll:

I still don't have Close Encounters.

Shame on me. :P

Justin -Who needs to get the Collector's Edition real soon. ;)

;) Kings Row (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)

Contrary to the statement above the Collectors Edition does NOT contain every note in the film.

Is there any unreleased John Williams music? Or are you just referring to Barry's xylophone playing? :)

Marian - who thinks Justin is right to be ashamed.

Also missing is that great little BUDWEISER advert jingle from when Roy is building the big devils tower in his living room (i love that bit of music), and that soap opera bit "hahah....i'm supposed to COD...(kiss) like that....besides...you and i have to have a little talk.......about kim". I also suppose there is some music from the Ten Commandments movie playing in the background early in the film.

But thats going too far..hehehe

I recommend both versions. (As I always do because I am the ever obsessive collector!)

Moff Jake and I are working on putting together a nice little "as complete as possible" CE3K set.

Which reminds me... I have to send him a few tracks... :oops: