Ascending piano phrase at the end of many of JW's themes...

Pelzter

... I suppose you have already discussed this, but I find it fascinating, that JW tends to end his themes / pieces with a 5-10 note ascending piano phrase (like Across the Stars, Presumed Innocent and Jane Eyre, to name a few), which works brilliantly - even though he tends to use this tecnique alot. Thoughs on these piano phases?

--Pelzter

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am remembering correctly from my music classes, that is a basic arpeggiation of the dominant key of the piece, a standard of classical composing styles.

Feel free to dispute this, but I'm almost sure that is the correct description...

Don't you mean Harp?

It's used by tons of classical composers and film composers of old. I do it all the time. It's mostly done on the harp. The only time it is done on the piano is when it's a piano piece. He does it a lot in Schindler's List too, but again, it's harp. It's 90% done with slow pieces. I do it all the time.

If I am remembering correctly from my music classes, that is a basic arpeggiation of the dominant key of the piece, a standard of classical composing styles.  

Feel free to dispute this, but I'm almost sure that is the correct description...

yup, that's what it is... an upward arpeggio, if you want to be specific...

yes yes yes it's an arpeggio but am I the only one here that knows it is a harp doing it?

yes yes yes it's an arpeggio but am I the only one here that knows it is a harp doing it?

Lol, no. I actually became aware of this during AOTC, at the end of the film credits, but it's not just useed at the end in JW's scores. In the Luke and Leia theme from ROTJ he uses the arpegigated harp to begin, and the overall effect is not so much a trademark, but an emotion he is trying to communicate, being that of a quiet, traquil, even ethereal ambience.

I think the most memorable would be at the end of Princess Leia's Theme. The climbing piano (I think it's a piano there) is a great ending to the piece. I also recall Yoda's Theme ending with some great ascending strings.

There's no piano in the Princess Leia theme, it's a harp. I have the written score to prove it. Unless it is a piano piece, it is harp doing it. banghead

I've noticed this as well! It's very effective at wrapping up pieces of music. Other notable examples are The Patriot, A.I's The Reunion, and the Theme from Jurassic Park (soundtrack version).

Ray Barnsbury

I think it's just his thing and we should just leave him do it. Who are we to question his technique on composing? :P