Superman II/III/IV - The Special Editions?

Greg1138

Finally we see a Region 2 release of Superman III and Superman IV.......which I will not frankly be rushing out to buy but will certainly get them sooner or later.....

BUT - a reviewer on the Amazon.co.uk website claims that it would be better to wait, since all 3 sequels are to be treated to a Special Expanded releases next year (presumably to tie in with that other super-flick)....

....I know that there is quit a bit of unseen (or, at least, unreleased) stuff for part 2, and that allegedly there is a much longer (and supposedly much better) cut of part 4 out there in the vaults somewhere.....but has anyone else heard about these expanded releases? Does anyone else have any more info about what might be included scene-wise in such releases if they do happen?

Greg

:P

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT - a reviewer on the Amazon.co.uk website claims that it would be better to wait, since all 3 sequels are to be treated to a Special Expanded releases next year (presumably to tie in with that other super-flick)....

That was me.

I read it in the UK magazine DVDReview - they were pretty certain about it. Sadly no sign of a Donner version yet though - merely expanded versions of the original cuts.

A 5.1 track will not fix that schizophrenic movies problems.

Neil - who simply wants the orignal edit and mix on Superman - The Movie and a chance to see Donner's outtakes from Superman II

Schizophrenic? Possibly....but doesn't stop it being a thumping good 2 hours....which will thump alot harder when my subwoofer is introduced to the fight over Metropolis....

I think there were some rumblings about it over on that Superman website Neil posted recently. The new releases are in the works, and we may just be getting a Donner version for Supes II, although at this stage, that seems to be wishful thinking at best.

Talk of a Donner edit of Superman II has been floating around for about five years, before he did the re-edit of the first film. There was even an online drive to have fans fill out and mail a petition (I was one who actually did it) to Warners demanding that it happen.

Only one bummer... Richard Donner gave it a little thought, and then remembered how he'd gotten screwed halfway through Supes II, and said that he decided to pass.

Now, considering that Donner hasn't had a lot going for himself lately, and more importantly, with the tragic death of Christopher Reeve, you never know. He may want to come back and showcase those lost scenes featuring the late actor as a tribute.

By the way, some of those lost Donner scenes can be viewed in Quicktime format at the Superman Homepage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see Donner's original vision of what Superman II might have been. I've been waiting a long time to see this.

I wouldn't mind it either if Warner Bros. bought the rights to Supergirl so they could release it in Australia. I think that film deserves it.

Would it be too much to wish for Williams to do a score for Donner's edit?

Sadly......yes.......

.....but we can all live in hope......

.....vain though it might be.......