Saddest piece of music

Gamecube

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have nearly enough JW soundtracks. but overall, I can tell you guys the ones that move me most from what I have.

Cinque's Theme from Amistad.

Across the Stars (Love theme) from Attack of the Clones

Toys from E.T.

Princess Leia's theme...I know it's not really SAD, per se, but it sure is moving. I can't listen to it and not cry!

Princess Leia's theme (for some strange reason, bear with me here) reminds me of a deserted neighbourhood, with everybody gone, and things just left where they are. Lifeless, cold and desolate, without people or movement, and the echoes of voices long-gone sounding through the dreary streets. Then towards the end the people return, and the happiness is brought back to the neighbourhood, and the music peaks as the sun rises and fills the place with light. Imagine that.

Both the Albinoni and Barber Adagios get me every time I hear them! For Williams' music I also have to go with Schindler's List (Immolation and Remembrances).

Mari

...and Yes, "Across the Stars". Listening to it in a darkened room, the volume a bit up, and envisioning the endless Space passing by, it's overwhelming.

Yes. I felt that way too.

Also, I thought AI "For Always" (instrumental) was sad too.

I have to disagree about all the Angelas Ashes music being sad. I don't think it's very sad at all. There are plenty of happy moments in the movie and score. I would'v expected the main theme to be a little more sad or depressing than it is.

Mahler, Symphony No. 6.  This will probably be the music I am playing when I finally take the gas pipe.

Is that the one with the "Frere Jacques" motif? You know...that little children's tune in minor mode...funeral march...is that the right one? Or am I on crack?

Princess Leia's theme (for some strange reason, bear with me here) reminds me of a deserted neighbourhood, with everybody gone, and things just left where they are. Lifeless, cold and desolate, without people or movement, and the echoes of voices long-gone sounding through the dreary streets. Then towards the end the people return, and the happiness is brought back to the neighbourhood, and the music peaks as the sun rises and fills the place with light. Imagine that.

Wow. Yeah, I've never imagined it that way before, but you are right. It does sort of have that desolate feeling. I'll have to picture that when I listen to it again. Good imagery there. :)

Is that the one with the "Frere Jacques" motif?  You know...that little children's tune in minor mode...funeral march...is that the right one?  Or am I on crack?

No, that's the 1st. And Figo I would put the 9th with the 6th in this regard :)

The only piece of music that has ever brought tears to my eyes is "Down Once More.../ Track Down This Murderer" from The Phantom of the Opera. The very ending when the music segues into "Music of the Night" is so powerful. You can feel the love between Christine and Erik, as well as the lonliness that the Phantom suffers. No other piece of music is powerful enough to get me to show my feelings. I love that song.

~Conor

Mahler, Symphony No. 6.  This will probably be the music I am playing when I finally take the gas pipe.

Is that the one with the "Frere Jacques" motif? You know...that little children's tune in minor mode...funeral march...is that the right one? Or am I on crack?

I'm sorry to admit it, but Morn is actually right. You're thinking of the First, sometimes called the "Titan." While just about every major work of Mahler has to include SOMETHING about death and funerals, this one is special, in that it takes its inspiration from a famous woodcut by Callot. The cortege is made up of animals (anthropomorphized, of course), not to be taken seriously, and Mahler places tongue firmly in cheek when quoting the famous children's song. A rare instance, I think, of the composer actually smiling at the idea of death. Later, he would approach the subject with heightened grotesquerie -- nothing to laugh about -- and near hysteria, not to mention downright despair. Those "hammer blows" at the end of the Sixth are devestating.

Ah. Well thanks for clearing that up. :| Yeah...I'm sorry to say that I have never really listened to much Mahler...only what we've studied in school. Anyway, I have heard nothing but good things about him, and now I'm tempted to hear that sixth symphony. Umm...not because I want to hear your death music or anything... :?

A Beautiful Mind - Alicia Discovers Nash's Dark World

Now that Is a Sad score, it makes me cry everytime I lissin to it. Turely a great score.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I suppose Anakin's Theme is quite moving. When I listen to it, it really makes me sad to think that poor Anakin's going to turn into an evil sith when he grows up!

Williams' sadest pieces:

The Early Days, Massapequa, 1957 (BOFJ)

Cadillac of the Skies (EOTS)

My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (JP)

Trio-The Meeting (Jane Eyre)

The Days Between (Stepmom)

Theme From Angela's Ashes

Remembrances & I Could Have Done More (SL)

Omaha Beach & The Last Battle (SPR)

From other composers:

Theme from Contact (Alan Silvestri)

Gabriel's Oboe - The Mission (Ennio morricone)

Theme from Glory (James Horner)

and, above all, DEATH! from Edward Scissorhands (Danny Elfman)

The restatement of the main theme at the end of Glory has always been the saddest piece of music to me. When you see Matthew Broderick being buried on the beach, among the men he loved so dearly, it always reminds me of the sacrifice that people like you and me made for freedom.

-Thomas (A closet Horner fan)