Movie music concert in Madrid (Nov 26) Review

deimos

A few weeks back I asked advice to choose my seats on an auditorium, since I was not really aware of which area was better. Finally the day arrived yesterday, and I attended this concert in the local auditorium. It was my first movie music concert, and I really enjoyed it. It was a cool day overall, not only because of the concert, but also because I met Ender and sccissorhands there. These awesome guys also attended the concert and I eagerly expect their impressions here! Unluckily we didn't take our cameras so you'll have to do with our word ROTFLMAO

Though the concert was about movie music in general, we got no less than 8 suites from our beloved John Williams. The concert itself began with a suite based on the End Credits from Empire Strikes Back. After the rebel funfare, which made me smile widely, we got the force theme, probably my all time favourite Williams theme, so you can imagine how I felt. After that we got themes in the same order as on the CD, but they were arraged a bit differently. The tempo was much slower, something I felt was not completely right for epic themes such as Luke's and Imperial March, but I'll have to live with that.

Thne we got Spiderman from Elfman. The lack of synthesisers made it sound different but not less interesting. We got the introduction of the Main Titles to be followed by the Graveyard scene and Finale. I think this was a curious selection for a concert since Spiderman's theme is not really memmorable (not at the level at Batman or Superman, for instance), but it was good to hear.

The we got a jazz medley entitled Film Jazzy fantasy. I really can't remeber right now what we got apart from the Bond theme and the Bare Necessities from Jungle Book, you'll have to help me here.

Then we got THREE cues from Schildler's list. This was a wonderful experience for me. My seats were really near the orchestra so I had a really good view of the soloist that came for the Schindler's list suits. They were Schindler's List theme, Jewish Town and Remebembrances. This wonderful music from the maestro was incredible. After big themes from adventure movies we got these very touching cues that were perfect to end the first part of the concert.

It was during the break when I first met Ender and Sccissors. It was great you were there!

When we finally got back to our seats, we got ET. Though we expected before the concert that we would get arranged concert suits from the CD, after the first part in which we got arrengements from different cues, we didn't know what to expect. Would we get the end credits? No. We got a suite based on no other than ESCAPE, CHASE, GOODBYE!!!! OMG, I couldn't believe it. It wasn't the 15 minutes cue, but it was good enough for me. Taking into account the diffculty of the cue we got a pretty decent performace, and the only remarkable mistake was the final fanfare, which was not as we are used to. But man, we are used to recorded and mixed LSO. It's very difficult to come even close to that.

After the excitement of ET, we moved to the calm of John barry and his Out of Africa composition. I was not much into Barry till I asked advice here a few weeks back, and I really appreciated a live performance of probably his most memorable love theme.

Then we got one of those "Come on guys, smile" suites. Grease! It's been ages since I last watched the movie but it was fun to hear it.

After that we got two concert suites from Harry Potter from the maestro: Hedwig's Theme and Harry's Wondrous World. I was fearing the fanfares and the tempo after ET and Empire but they came out pretty well. I was really amazing to listen to this live, cause I could feel the energy and magic this cues have coming out of instruments just a few metres away from me.

Then we got Gladiator from Zimmer. It was just so-so. I think it was a bad choice to end the concert this way (according to the program this was the last piece), cause the way they played the parts from the Battle was not very convincing. Some other cues (I think parts from Sorrow and patricide maybe?) were much better.

Poor Ender. On the info about the concert we had been given it was stated Superman would be played, but it was nowhere to be found. But yes, it was there. We got two extra performances. One was obvuously Superman. Just amazing. I inferred from what the director said (a female, by the way), that it was kind of a present for someone very important for the orquestra (the founder, I pressume). I'd like birthday presents like that.

And finally, as if having Superman wasn't enough, all the orchestra members put on a pair of sunglasses and played Mission Impossible. With a smile on our faces we left the auditorium wishing that this concert becomes a regular performance every year.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Ender and sccissorhands there. These awesome guys also attended the concert and I eagerly expect their impressions here! Unluckily we didn't take our cameras so you'll have to do with our word ROTFLMAO

We did meet. Questions?

Though the concert was about movie music in general, we got no less than 8 suites from our beloved John Williams. The concert itself began with a suite based on the End Credits from Empire Strikes Back. After the rebel funfare, which made me smile widely, we got the force theme, probably my all time favourite Williams theme, so you can imagine how I  felt. After that we got themes in the same order as on the CD, but they were arraged a bit differently. The tempo was much slower, something I felt was not completely right for epic themes such as Luke's and Imperial March, but I'll have to live with that.

Peio and I both came to the conclussion that the whole suite was based on the Rebel Fleet/End Credits. However, instead of performing the themes as heard on the OST, the renditions were taken from the film's score, which I thought was nice. I think "The Imperial March" was taken (and developed) from the "Han Solo and the Princess" track in the SE. I don't recall having problems with the tempo, but some sections weren't very tightly adapted (the end credits performance of Luke's theme, for instance).

Thne we got Spiderman from Elfman. The lack of synthesisers made it sound different but not less interesting. We got the introduction of the Main Titles to be followed by the Graveyard scene and Finale. I think this was a curious selection for a concert since Spiderman's theme is not really memmorable (not at the level at Batman or Superman, for instance), but it was good to hear.

I thought it was very well performed, considering the complexity of the piece. The brass sounded as Elfman-esque as any brass can. The strings tried as hard as they could and did a more than decent job. Oh, and the minute they began the ostinato, I wondered how they planned to do Elfman without bongo drums, but one of the percussionists made up for it with, well, different results. All in all, I thought the performance was awesome and the theme sounded as powerful as ever. Well, as ever without a chorus anyway.

The we got a jazz medley entitled Film Jazzy fantasy. I really can't remeber right now what we got apart from the Bond theme and the Bare Necessities from Jungle Book, you'll have to help me here.

There was a very nice blend between the Bond theme, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and a third theme I couldn't identify. Very, very interesting piece.

Then we got THREE cues from Schildler's list. This was a wonderful experience for me. My seats were really near the orchestra so I had a really good view of the soloist that came for the Schindler's list suits. They were Schindler's List theme, Jewish Town and Remebembrances. This wonderful music from the maestro was incredible. After big themes from adventure movies we got these very touching cues that were perfect to end the first part of the concert.

My main gripe with this was that, while performance was excellent, it did feel a little cold. But, if you're used to Perlman's usually heart-felt style, then it's normal to have this problem. By the way, the rendition of Remembrances was the one from Treesong. I did notice the soloist was very tense towards the end.

It was during the break when I first met Ender and Sccissors. It was great you were there!

Yeah, geek meetings are never disappointing.

When we finally got back to our seats, we got ET. Though we expected before the concert that we would get arranged concert suits from the CD, after the first part in which we got arrengements from different cues, we didn't know what to expect. Would we get the end credits? No. We got a suite based on no other than ESCAPE, CHASE, GOODBYE!!!! OMG, I couldn't believe it. It wasn't the 15 minutes cue, but it was good enough for me. Taking into account the diffculty of the cue we got a pretty decent performace, and the only remarkable mistake was the final fanfare, which was not as we are used to. But man, we are used to recorded and mixed LSO. It's very difficult to come even close to that.

It was excellent. It had as much sentiment as you could get - I stopped breathing towards the final rendition of the Flying Theme. They had nailed it. And yeah, the final fanfare had its problems, but with all the energy the conductor had dictated, the brass had gotten a bit out of tune. The experience of seeing this live is hard to put into words. I thought the same music could never surprise me again.

Then we got one of those "Come on guys, smile" suites. Grease! It's been ages since I last watched the movie but it was fun to hear it.

Yes, but the selection was odd: one of the gym dances, then "Summer Nights", then "Greased Lightning", then "Beauty School Dropout" and then "We go Together". I missed "Hopelessly Devoted to You" or "You're the One that I want"

After that we got two concert suites from Harry Potter from the maestro: Hedwig's Theme and Harry's Wondrous World. I was fearing the fanfares and the tempo after ET and Empire but they came out pretty well. I was really amazing to listen to this live, cause I could feel the energy and magic this cues have coming out of instruments just a few metres away from me.

The nailed this one too, which doesn't go without credit, since (according to Peio - I wouldn't know by myself) the End Credits from the first film is perhaps Williams' most difficult cue. They had a bit of problem with the brass toward the end (when the orchestra goes all loco in that final rendition of the main theme), but overall it was good. "Harry's Wondrous World" was pretty good, but coming after Empire Strikes Back, Spider-Man, E.T... well, you get used to good quality pretty quickly.

Then we got Gladiator from Zimmer. It was just so-so. I think it was a bad choice to end the concert this way (according to the program this was the last piece), cause the way they played the parts from the Battle was not very convincing. Some other cues (I think parts from Sorrow and patricide maybe?) were much better.

I agree. Although it was exciting to see the whole orchestra as compenetrated as that. I joked that they could just play Holst's "Mars" cue and be done with it. Film geek joke.

Poor Ender. On the info about the concert we had been given it was stated Superman would be played, but it was nowhere to be found. But yes, it was there. We got two extra performances. One was obvuously Superman. Just amazing. I inferred from what the director said (a female, by the way), that it was kind of a present for someone very important for the orquestra (the founder, I pressume). I'd like birthday presents like that.

Now I can die a content man. I have seen "Superman" performed live (I had been joking with Peio that we could just reprise the "For the love of God, play Superman!" event), and it was a more than decent performance. I might go as far as saying it quite easily compared with the one found in the Encore CD. My gripe, if you could have one, was that it was your standard suite, without the wonderful new arrangements we had had in Empire Strikes Back and Spider-Man.

And I wouldn't mind if it was dedicated to me in a concert some day.

And finally, as if having Superman wasn't enough, all the orchestra members put on a pair of sunglasses and played Mission Impossible. With a smile on our faces we left the auditorium wishing that this concert becomes a regular performance every year.

Ah yes, that was fun. Although I would've been just as happy ending with just Superman.

It was a very good concert. I'm usually picky when it comes to compare CD/live performances. I wish they'd do this more often.

It was an extraordinary night (one of the most memorable and exciting nights in my life), all that music I've been listening to in CD for years was being performed just in front of my eyes.

The program looked pretty interesting at first, though it was quite disconcerting, only the titles of the movies were mentioned, so we didn't know actually what to expect.

The very first notes belonged to the Rebel Fanfare, which immediately carried me to my first days as an SW and John Williams fan. I was irremediably trapped by all the magic for the rest of the concert. My wishes came true as the suite went on... after the love theme and beginning of the end credits came Yoda's Theme (one of my all-time favorites). I felt fulfilled.

I used to look at Ross at times with a complicity glance, as if I were saying "oh, there it is", "incredible" or "finally". I also pointed at different sections of the orchestra when I thought they did an outstanding job, I couldn't find another way to praise it.

We didn't know how Elfman sounds live, but we got a quick answer: it's among the funniest and challenging music I've heard in a live performance. Ross missed the choir, but I thought it didn't lack any important element.

Schindler's List was the best part of the concert for me. Maybe not the best soloist around, but he acquited well the most difficult passages. The oboe in the main theme is something you must hear at least once in your life. All strings sounded good in this one too. I was overcome with emotion.

After meeting Deimos (cool guy!) in the intermission, we got to hear another highlight from the concert: E.T. Flutes were ready to start, and I thought they were going to perform the main theme, but it was better than we had even imagined, The bycicle chase! The faster tempo in the ending did good for me.

It was John Barry's chance. While people did like it (I heard some "qué bonito"s behind me), I felt (like Ross) a bit indifferent. Not our cup of tea, Ross and I agreed.

The last Williams music in the program were the two pieces from HP.

The celesta (which was also used in Schindler and E.T.) and the woodwinds went crazy as Hedwig's theme developed. The ending is one of Williams' best, and it was very thrilling to hear it!

I noticed that "Harry's Wondrous World" is a nightmare for woodwinds, they never stop playing. I loved the brass in this one.

I had predicted they would play Superman, but it was still uncertain... till the conductor came back to stage and the brass and timpani started to play the famous notes in GM. It was overwhelming and I felt the guy in my left was in ecstasy.

Overal, it was a successful concert, the audience felt very satisfied with the selection and the performance.

It's not the LSO, ok, but it's not either their intention. They performed everything so vividly and passionately, that everyone forgave the small mistakes they commited at times. Even the brass, usually the most problematic section of the orchestra, did it very well.

Kudos to the young conductor (this generation of new conductors who makes me still have faith in the future of the orchestras in our country) who was the main responsible of the event. Only someone who really knows the TESB score can make such a good selection, as Ross stated.

It was priceless. Unforgottable :angry:

Kudos to the young conductor (this generation of new conductors who makes me still have faith in the future of the orchestras in our country) who was the main responsible of the event. Only someone who really knows the TESB score can make such a good selection, as Ross stated.

I couldn't agree more. When I saw Empire Strikes Back on the brochure I thought we would get the Imperial March Suite and that's all. It would have been great, we all love The Imperial March, but using the End Credits as a backbone and selecting other versions of the themes that it includes was the proof that she actually listened to the CD, enjoyed it, and decided to play it. And for me that means that she respects not only Williams but some many other soundtrack composers out there.

And i just find out this now :sigh:

Maybe next time i'll be there :|

And so many williams pieces...

manuel, who has to go at least to a williams' music concert, since its clear he is not coming here ever 8O

Sorry Manuel. I posted a thread about this some weeks ago, but i have to admit the title was not very suggestive (choosing seats in an auditorium or something like that). Next time I'll try to make a more suggestive title (Free sex click here, or something like that) :)

Dont worry, not your fault.

This should have been in the main page, though ;)

Really, before your cool reviews i though that if williams was not conducting, i was not interested, but now, i think just hearing the music live must be goosebumps! Lets hope another film concert with so many williams is done soon ;)