favorite Indy score

tpigeon

Which Indy score is your favorite?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

this may have been done before, but i don't remember seeing a poll for this. and just for clarification, this is the score, not the soundtrack. just so you know. my vote goes with Raiders!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, of course. Williams adds excellent new themes to the already existing ones. OK, the first Indiana Jones score has the merit of introducing the Raiders March. But I think that the new themes (of Last Crusade) are gorgeous. I have no predilection, 'cause all of them are amazing. If I had to choose one theme it would be the scherzo for motorcycle and orchestra.

Raiders would be the introduction, Temple of Doom the innovation and The Last Crusade the perfection of perfection.

i agree with all that you said. i too think they are all amazing in their own way. what i like about these scores, unlike the Star wars scores, is that each one breathes a life if its own. not to say that Star Wars doesn't. but Star Wars, thematically, relies on so many themes, whereas Indy scores all have the same backbone, which is the Raiders March.

I personally went with Raiders because of not only the introduction of that famous March, but also because of the mystifying Ark Theme, the overall effectiveness of it and the atmosphere it creates. what i especially like is that the score doesn't overuse the Raiders March at all. There are many moments of shear melody, with only bits and pieces of the raiders march, like the Airplane Fight and the Truck Chase. My favorite moment of the score has nothing to do with any theme believe it or not. it's at the very end of "The Dig Begins." that is true orchestral beauty.

i agree with all that you said. i too think they are all amazing in their own way. what i like about these scores, unlike the Star wars scores, is that each one breathes a life if its own. not to say that Star Wars doesn't. but Star Wars, thematically, relies on so many themes, whereas Indy scores all have the same backbone, which is the Raiders March.

:mrgreen:

Oh, yes. In Star Wars movies you can see the development of the different leit motifs (and retro-development: Episode IV, V, VI, I and II). And with Indiana Jones each of the three scores is different, but you can see the Indiana Jones "spirit" on them, not only with the Raiders March.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the reason scissorhands gave: it's innovative.

Love that sacrifice theme. And then there's Short Round's theme. And then the love theme. And then the slave children's theme. And then there's the chase in Shanghai. And then there's that ride on the raft through the snow and on the river. And then the theme for the bug tunnel. And then....

Oh hell, you get the point.

LOL

This is a tough one, but I'm going with Last Crusade. The themes are the best of the trilogy. The Nazi theme in LC is much better than the one in Raiders.

Of course Raiders is the one that introduced the March, and the Ark theme is great, but the rest is not quite as good as LC.

I've never heard TOD outside of the film, and I love the slave children's theme. But the love theme in TOD is Williams' worst ever.

John- awaiting the flaming from the TOD lovers, especially Ricard :mrgreen:

I sort of agree with John Crichton. Except, I'd say that LC is equal with Raiders. So I didn't vote.

i'm surprised. i didn't think the poll would be this close between Raiders and LC. i'm also surprised that Temple of Doom os trailing way behind. i expected LC to be in that position

it is amazing that Last Crusade is leading when it is clearly not in the same league as Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It is sloppy to be sure.

Sloppy? :P Well, anyway, they are all masterpieces ;) And is it just me or do Indy 2 and 3 sound pretty Alex North like? :)

it is amazing that Last Crusade is leading when it is clearly not in the same league as Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  It is sloppy to be sure.

:P

what he said. Love that word sloppy, discribes Least Crusade to a t.

I would agree with Morn that Raiders and Temple are masterpieces, but not LC. Its Sloppy.

Joe, who expects Morn to say bah.

i know how passionately you feel about that score Ricard, and i feel similiarly. i'd like to know why you think it is the best film score ever though, if you wouldn't mind.

I still dont have Raiders.  Anyone know where I can get one for cheap?

It took me about 4 months to hunt down a copy for less than $30. :)

I might know a fellow who has a or some copies of it. I'll ask him and see if he has any. :|

Dang it Ricard you got Temple mixed up with Raiders!!

Justin -Who wished he did something as elaborate as Ricard. :| :cry:

I've heard better.

Care to name them???

Anyway its up there but Raiders is better definately.

I dunno maybe its just because I feel that film was so friggin corny. Every time I see that Short Round kid I want to strangle the life out of him.

I've heard better.

Care to name them???

As Tom said, certainly Raiders and Superman (and not in that order) ;).

Temple of Doom is certainly good stuff, but it seems that some of it's action scoring is similar to films like The Mummy Returns or Jurassic Park III. Those 2 films are not subtle in anyway, and neither is Temple of Doom. I've heard the ripped mp3's that were on this site years ago, and the extra bits from ToD were certainly fun and deserve to be released, but Williams has certainly done better.

But I understand Ricard's passion for this score. It was the score that got him interested in Williams, I believe. And believe me, the moment a complete Temple of Doom CD is released, I will have that in my posession immediately, and it will be played constantly. Maybe then ToD will be moved into "elite" status with other scores like Superman - The Movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars and Goldsmith's first Star Trek score, but I doubt it.

Neil

OH yeah and one more thing:  
Best Film Score. Ever.

Kate Capshaw's terrible singing keeps this sucker from getting anywhere near that title. ;)

William, are you crazy. Her version of Anything Goes in cantonese is absolutely great. It is one of the treasures of the film. Plus any score than can create a theme like Slave Children, has to be one of the greats.

And there is no better Indy endtitle. It incorporates all the Indy themes up to that point. It is as heard in the film, absolutely one of the best endtitles ever .

indy2logo-large.jpg

Best Indiana Jones

Best John Williams

Best Film Score

NO DOUBT.

Bah.

Care to name them???

TESB' date=' ET, ROTJ, Hook, Schindler's List and AI.

Temple of Doom is certainly good stuff, but it seems that some of it's action scoring is similar to films like The Mummy Returns or Jurassic Park III. Those 2 films are not subtle in anyway, and neither is Temple of Doom.

So what? It's Williams on total fun mode.

Temple of Doom is certainly good stuff, but it seems that some of it's action scoring is similar to films like The Mummy Returns or Jurassic Park III.

I don't think you've really paid attention to the TOD action scoring. ;)

I've heard the ripped mp3's that were on this site years ago, and the extra bits from ToD were certainly fun and deserve to be released, but Williams has certainly done better.

Not in my opinion (certainly :))

But I understand Ricard's passion for this score.  It was the score that got him interested in Williams, I believe.  

I don't know where you got that LOL. I had been a die-hard John Williams fanatic for 7 years by the time Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was released. His 'disaster scores' got me interested in his music during the mid-70s, then Star Wars made me a fan.

the moment a complete Temple of Doom CD is released, I will have that in my posession immediately, and it will be played constantly.  Maybe then ToD will be moved into "elite" status with other scores like Superman - The Movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars and Goldsmith's first Star Trek score, but I doubt it.

I don't 8O

I don't know where you got that LOL. I had been a die-hard John Williams fanatic for 7 years by the time Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was released. His 'disaster scores' got me interested in his music during the mid-70s, then Star Wars made me a fan.

I thought you had said that one time. My mistake.

Neil

i agree with Ricard about the brilliance of the score. i have only heard the unreleased music by watching the movie, but i've seen the movie countless times. and this score's got everything. i cannot wait for it to be released on double disc cd. it's got some of Williams' finest action music ever and i would imagine that it will only sound better when i actually hear it on cd.

Funny, how many of you reduce Raiders' significance to the introduction of "The Raiders March." The first was clearly the best integrated score of the three, and comes from Williams' greatest period. Temple of Doom has great themes and set pieces but, like the film itself, it doesn't really hang together. Last Crusade -- forget about it! Some fun bits keeping up with the Joneses, and a bafflingly Americana theme for Henry; some nice touches here and there, but overall it is as slipshod as the movie itself. How many chases, I wonder, can an audience endure?

Just my opinion, of course (before Beowulf starts to feel all threatened).

I think there must be something wrong with my computer. I was getting some horrible distortion as I read Ricard's first post. ;)

Funny, how many of you reduce Raiders' significance to the introduction of "The Raiders March."

Certainly not me. 'Raiders' (unlike 'Crusade') has always been one of my favorite Williams' scores (10/10), regardless of the Raiders March (which, BTW, is even more enjoyable in TOD).

It's certainly a very excitement statement, when the plane lifts off from Shanghai! Ditto, when Indy flees the spike chamber.

The scene before the mine cars, with Indy swinging around the catwalks on his bullwhip, is one of my favorite parts of the whole movie. It had a feeling of spontaneity about it akin to Luke's arrival in Cloud City, when he stumbles across Han's cortege. That's the movie I wanted to see, not all this Short Round/monkey brain-eating crap.

I like Shortround, Figo, and I love the monkey brains scene.

You have to have the oblilgatory gross out sequence in an Indy film.

Besides that created one hell of a great audience reaction.

Joe, who thinks Raiders is one of the great films of all time, but that Temple of Doom is one of the most enjoyable sequels/prequels of all times, and thinks Least Crusade is an average film with a few moments of real Raiders/Temple excitement.

The scene before the mine cars, with Indy swinging around the catwalks on his bullwhip, is one of my favorite parts of the whole movie.  It had a feeling of spontaneity about it akin to Luke's arrival in Cloud City, when he stumbles across Han's cortege.  That's the movie I wanted to see, not all this Short Round/monkey brain-eating crap.

i agree, that is a great scene. another one of my favorites is when they first arrive in the Temple of Doom. The sacrifice scene was good, a change of pace for Spielberg, and the moments after it are even better, when Indy goes down for the stones. That captured some of the same magic that was captured in Raiders. And the music is wonderful! :devil:

i agree with Joe on this one, about order of the movies. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one the best films ever made in my opinion, and Temple of Doom was a very good follow-up. It was a good adventure story, with over-the-top action, a lot of laughs, and just solid two hours of fun. Last Crusade tried to do too much in my opinion. It was a very good movie, because the action was great and For and Connery are great together. But in comparrison to the others, i think it falls short.

Oh yeah, and i think the scores follow a similar pattern. LC may not be a few steps below of Temple, but i think it is the worst of three, despite how much i love it.

Yes, Joe, the Indy movies need the obligatory gross-out sequence, but this one had at least three or four. The monkey-brains banquet was particularly ill-timed because it was supposed to be an exposition scene. It got a terrific audience reaction -- if you think shouts of "Ewwww!" are a kind of approbation -- but at the expense of important plot points. I think the whole reason the brains existed in the first place is because, after the shooting-the-rapids scene, there isn't a whole hell of a lot going on in the movie, action-wise, for a very long time, until the Thuggee assassin finally attempts to garrot Indy. Compared to Raiders, the film really has a flabby mid-section. Unsympathetic characters like Short Round and Willie Scott don't help matters. Although, as I've mention in the past, Kate Capshaw was easy on the eyes. :)

tpigeon, have you ever seen the old Cary Grant/Douglas Fairbanks, Jr./Victor McLaglen Gunga Din? If you liked the sacrifice sequence, this will be right up your alley. You'll also get to see where George and Steven got their ideas for the rope bridge and the "gong" opening. Naturally, nothing in Gunga Din is nearly as gross, but to my mind, it is a much better movie.

(...) the Raiders March (which, BTW, is even more enjoyable in TOD).

Oh, yes. I like the introduction of those ascending notes in the Raiders March.......notes that are the Short Round's Theme! :wow:

scissorhands - celebrating his post N. 50

i've heard of it, but i haven't seen it. now i will make it a point to see it. sounds very interesting.