Williams' use of synthesized choir

indy4

From what I can tell, Williams has tended towards synthesized choir fairly often in recent years. Often it is used to represent the dead (War of the Worlds, Tintin) or the non-human (KotCS, AI). It's very effective, as the almost human synth choirs reflect the almost human qualities of the dead or the non-human. But Williams has also chosen to represent these voices in the past using a real choir (Schindler's List, SPR). Any guesses as to why he has tended towards the synths recently? Is it a development of his style (artistically it certainly works for reasons stated above)? Is it a matter of ease or funds (Williams rarely uses synth choir in scores that demand a lot of choir, and I don't think he's ever used synths and real choir in the same score)?

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the use of synth choirs in any of these scores.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just another colour, but the dynamic range of a real choir is much greater than synth. I guess it depends on the film whether it requires that much emotional force. If you look at JW manuscript for Revenge of Sith he uses Synth choir to great effect doubling wind or strings and it creates a much more atmospheric, three dimensional sound. Can you imagine Duel of Fates of Battle of Heroes or Anakin vs Obi Wan without a real "human" choir...

Some good examples

and

Williams used it in cases were the use of choir is very minor, only a small part of a sinlge cue (Tintin, The Last Crusade). And it does nor need to convey any deep emotions.

Surely it's a cost and schedule issue.

I'm one of the few people alive who believes that for the reasons stated above by Stefan, the voices heard during the Cloud City approach in ESB are synthesized as well. It's not limited to Williams more recent scores.

The Last Crusade is hardly recent Roald. ;)

But it makes sense. If he needs a choir for a substantial amount of themusic, or it needs to be really pronounced or carry emotional weight, (Jurassic Park, ROTJ etc...etc) then Williams uses a real one. If it's just for a brief cue and just as an added colour to the orchestra then a synth or samples choir will suffice.

Of course is the choir needs to sing actual text he will always use a real choir.

I think Stefan and Roald are spot on. If he intends to use the choir for a minor effect for only a minor role, then he'll use a synthetic choir. The choir only lasts like 10 seconds in Tintin. It would be pretty expensive to get a whole choir to sing about 10 seconds of material :P

Yeah, you're not gonna book a whole choir just for a few seconds of music. =P That's one very good reason to use sampled choir right there. And Wiliams has also tended to use it to double real choir and/or other instrument. It's just a different color with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Technology has advanced to the point that synthesized choirs are vastly superior to real ones. Stuffy traditionalists will continue to live in denial, of course.

Please tell me you are joking. Synthesized chorus is not better than a real chorus.

Why using real orchestras? Synthesized are vastly superior to real ones. Sorry, think about your post.

Technology has advanced to the point that synthesized choirs are vastly superior to real ones. Stuffy traditionalists will continue to live in denial, of course.

ckappes got a point. I'm not fond of synthesized choirs unless their used right. Its one of the reason I never liked Titanic. And are you telling me a score like LOTR would be superior with synthesized choirs over real ones?

Took me a while to get what you were saying. But in my defence, he seemed very convincing and its hard to read sarcasm over the internet :D

Your other comment on the other hand, was just downright preposterous, so its a bit hard to believe that one :P

Wrong, Hlao-roo means everything he says. He just has shit musical tastes!

I'm going to go with this. That way, I'm not in the wrong! :D

I kid, of course.

Yeah, K.K. is right. It is also very difficult for me to determine, whose people make jokes, being sarcastic, etc... Especially for me, because English is not my native language. To understand, if anyone make jokes (if it is not obtrusive enough) is a bit hard. And especially through text messages only.

Yeah, K.K. is right. It is also very difficult for me to determine, whose people make jokes, being sarcastic, etc... Especially for me, because English is not my native language. To understand, if anyone make jokes (if it is not obtrusive enough) is a bit hard. And especially through text messages only.

Don't beat yourself up...it took me a while to figure it out in his case. And I'm definitely a native English speaker! :)

So am I (yay Canada!). Perhaps Hlao-roo is just too far up the evolutionary scale with too great a level of intellectual superiority....We are not worthy...

:worship: :worship: :worship:

This whole MB has a very unique way of joking. It's very easy to detect once you get in the groove, but entering that groove can be difficult. A few weeks ago I reread some of my first posts on this MB and it was pretty shocking. I think that's probably why most of the newcomers don't last long.

In general, I would say:

Electronic sounding choir: Synth sound, texture, flavour, not meant to represent real choir, ...

Expensive sample choir library: Cost issue ... often used for game soundtracks ... meant to sound as if we're listening to the real thing.

Alex

Williams used it in cases were the use of choir is very minor, only a small part of a sinlge cue (Tintin, The Last Crusade). And it does nor need to convey any deep emotions. Surely it's a cost and schedule issue.

I'm one of the few people alive who believes that for the reasons stated above by Stefan, the voices heard during the Cloud City approach in ESB are synthesized as well. It's not limited to Williams more recent scores.

Sorry to break your delusion, but the women's chorus in ESTB is definitely real. In 1980, there weren't any synths capable of sounding anything like what you hear in the recording. That came a bit later with FM synthesis and samples. There is however an ARP 2600 (an old analogue modular) providing a vary low bass drone that is told "to change timbre at random" at that point.

Yeah, that's real singing. Probably not very many singers, which would have kept the cost down, but you couldn't get that sound any other way back then. See also Raiders for sparing but powerful uses of real vocal performances.

How about the choir parts in Patronus Light? I always thought it is nicely in tune even it's quite difficult chords.

That definitely sounds real to me. Also the short bit used in "Quidditch, 3rd Year."