Raiders... ( I feel so stupid )

wanner251

Ok... So I've been listening to the music from Raiders of the Lost Ark for probably twenty years... And only today... Do I finally realize that the Ark and Medallion themes are reworkings of each other. I always thought they sounded related but only subconsciously. For some reason today my ears were a bit perkier than usual, and I find them to be even more related than I thought. I'm sure this is old news here, but I thought I'd share my "epiphany ritardando" anyway. I'm not sure why I didn't see it long ago. Haha

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooo, the ark theme is a re-working of Jacob's theme from LOST.....

Well they are complementary to each other, forming a sort of deliberate thematic whole when together but I can't quite hear these two ideas being reworkings of each other.

The Ark theme is much more harmonically complex, but I think if you connect the dots, there is a relationship there. I don't believe that it is a strong enough relationship to say exactly what is being done, but not only do they go together, there are points where the melodies and harmonies seem reworked or turned. I don't think it would be that way on paper, but they would have to be cut from the same musical motif I would think. It's definitely not a reworking in the way that Anakin's Theme is a reworking of the Imperial March, but I think that one evolved out of the other.

Does anyone have any hard info on this subject?

Does anyone have any hard info on this subject?

There is no hard info...they're not related!

The medallion theme is definitely closely associated with the Ark - it's heard during "The Miracle of the Ark", for instance, long after the medallion ceases to be part of the story. But the theme itself is melodically and harmonically unrelated to the Ark theme.

I am listening to Raiders right now. I think I hear what you're hearing, wanner. But for me it's too much a stretch to say the motifs are related except for both having a desert-y, and magical quality to them.