Balfe's Picasso

thestat

I hate Lorne Balfe's work. He is the lowest common denominator in film music. Terminator: Genysis ended up sounding cheaper than the original. This is probably a world record of scamming tax deductions as Fiedel's work was home grown and somehow Balfe made it sound cheaper.

Yet, I am impressed by his work on Picasso. There is some real talent here, challenging orchestrations, melodies that do not go where you expect, strange instrumentation, a sax to carry the melody. A true example of a 1990s score. This is really good. What the fuck. Is this a Balfe score or some lackie that did the job? Are those terrible scores attributed to Hans and Lorne just tax evasions? 

You get it on Spotify. Listen to it yourself. This is great creative orchestral music. Not the balfe lowest common denominator trash that gets put out in his name. I suspect a scam on tax here, or this is a ghost written score by someone who knows how to do music.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started playing it on Spotify, but my initial thought is that he and composers from similar backgrounds no doubt have talent, but much of the time take projects that just don't ask for it, or the director doesn't care (I suspect much like McQuarrie on M:I).

Oh, the great and important Koray Savas with a Justin Theroux icon. Can't argue with him - he seems 'alternative' and so edgy, using an image from HBO show. I might have to respect him cos he likes a cancelled HBO show and identifies himself as a leftover. What a guy.

Point being, instead of looking at nobodies like Savas, can we congeal our efforts to ensure Balfe is just blacklisted from film music?

I like Balfe's score overall but am very distracted by the similarity of "A True Passion" from Picasso and "Gabriel's Oboe" from The Mission. It is much more than a passing similarity and I find it distracting.