Argh! Not ANOTHER SW score petition!

DarthSimian

I can't understand it when irate fans think they have a right to "unaltered" score from a film. As presented, the argument is hard to refute... it goes something like this:

"Give us the score as it was originally INTENDED to be used!"

Well, that's all fine and dandy. The only problem is...who the heck knows what music was "originally intended" to be used in the first place? Okay. We know that there was music that was removed from the finale and replaced with a jumble of cues from TPM. So what? I hate to state the painfully obvious, but who am I to demand score from a film in which the filmmaker deemed it unworkable in the final cut? Lucas made the call. For better or for worse, AOTC is his creation (albeit a collaborative one, but Lucas will take either the credit or the blame for the quality of the outcome). He owns the score. He can do with it whatever he wants. You found the jumble of cues distracting? Well, might I suggest you hone your moviewatching abilitities to notice the totality of the work instead of concentrating on the score. If you can't do that, then complain away. Lucas doesn't owe anybody anything. Folks can plump down their seven bucks to see the film, or they can choose not to.

Would it be nice to get some unreleased music from AOTC? Indeed it would be. Being a JW fan for the past 24 years of my life, I would buy a new edition of the soundtrack that contained unreleased cues. What fan wouldn't? But that's not the point. What is sad is seeing a petition based on a frivolous complaint that has no logical basis. Reading silly things like "we demand this" and "we demand that," and even though the word "demand" isn't always used, the implication is there in the complaints.

I regret that Lucas didn't see fit to use all of Williams' music for AOTC. I also don't doubt that he had his reasons for doing so. Williams is an professional; he knows such tampering is inevitable, even to this degree. Too bad more fans couldn't have the same mature attitude.

-DS

What is more mature? Lucas' vision of how the movie should had been scored, or Williams'?

I rest my case. :mrgreen:

Consider your case rested. And tell me, what exactly IS Williams "vision" of how the movie should have been scored? I didn't think the role of the composer was making such decisions. That's why we have "directors" and that's why we have "composers."

If Williams wants to create his own movie, he can arrange the cues however he wishes. Then you can make the judgment you just made in your comment. As far as AOTC is concerned, it's Lucas vision.

-DS

Well, that's all fine and dandy. The only problem is...who the heck knows what music was "originally intended" to be used in the first place

Ummmm JW??

I think the man would know how he intended his score to be.

3 posts total for you huh? I smell a Sony Classical Rep in disguise here! :mrgreen:

Well, that's all fine and dandy. The only problem is...who the heck knows what music was "originally intended" to be used in the first place

Ummmm JW??

I think the man would know how he intended his score to be.

3 posts total for you huh? I smell a Sony Classical Rep in disguise here! :)

JW intended to write a score to accompany the action in AOTC. But you're arguing that a composer should decide how his/her cues are arranged in the final cut?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a director as powerful as Lucas get "final cut?" Doesn't he finance these SW films out of his own pocket? Doesn't his company produce these films? Isn't SW his creation? If he lets his composer decide exactly how the cues are arranged in the finished film, then he really doesn't have "final cut," now does he?

As for the "Sony Classical Rep" comment....you got me. I'm none other than Mr. Sony Classical himself! But my friends call me "The Sonemeister." But "Mr. Classical" will do for you, my small friend. :mrgreen:

-DS

But you're arguing that a composer should decide how his/her cues are arranged in the final cut?

No we are not, at least not most of us. We are arguing that we should get to hear the music before it has mutated into something less desirable (the final cut). John Williams wrote a score to a cut of the film. Personally, I'd like to hear this version of the score over the 'final cut version.' Lucas can do what he wants with his movies, but let John Williams and Sony do what they want with his music. JW is the one producing these albums in the first place, NOT George Lucas. So if Sony listens to it's fanbase (who quite obviously desire an expanded version) they will do it.

Furthermore...

You found the jumble of cues distracting? Well, might I suggest you hone your moviewatching abilitities to notice the totality of the work instead of concentrating on the score.

LOL I think people had difficulty in appreciating the 'totality of work' in AOTC (acting, dialogue, etc).

Perhaps you didn't notice, but we are all film score fans, and most of us are keen on John Williams so naturaly we will pay close attention to his lastest works, regardless of what we think of the movie he actually scored (*Harry Potter, *Stepmom, etc). Why study Watto's eye lines when we can enjoy the music much more?

MoffJake - thinking you have a problem with zealous John Williams fans.

*just my opinion, of course.

This guy reminds me of that dude I debated during the "Ultimate Edition" debacle. What was his name again? I forget... ShammTranny or something?

You obviously need this explained in elementary school level.

John Williams composed, conducted, and recorded music for Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones.

Some of it got released on a CD. Some of it didn't.

Some of it got used in the film. Some of it didn't.

Some of it got edited in the film. Some of it didn't.

We want the music as he recorded it, and all of it if at all possible. Used, unused, and best case scenario, chronologically sequenced.

We don't want an isolated score of the movie. We also don't want sound effects and dialogue either. It's called FILM MUSIC. We are called FILM SCORE FANS.

I'm a fan of Star Wars. I'm a fan of Lucas. I may be the only one who has liked and defended all 5 movies to date, and I've loved them all. We sometimes bash on Lucas for his decisions on how he (mis)uses the scores in his films, but it's his film, so he can do whatever he wants with it. We'd like if he used the music as Williams intended it, but oh well... he didn't. He isn't the 1st, and won't be the last filmmaker to do this. And who cares anyways? That ISN'T what the petition is about.

Again... that ISN'T the point of the petition, and it seems to me like you didn't read it.

I am a John Williams fan. And a maniacal collector obsessed with hearing every note he scored, especially for his epic scores for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and many, many more. I've bought, paid for, and own EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIALLY RELEASED John Williams film score album on CD, most of the LPs that never got released on CD and much much more. Everything. And as a past and future CONSUMER, I am supporting the petition 100%.

We want, and are willing to pay for, the COMPLETE score to Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones as John Williams recorded it.

What exactly is the problem?

Do you have a problem with RCA/Victor for releasing the complete scores to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi, even though they had alternates and unused music?

Do you have a problem with Warner Bros./Rhino for releasing the complete score to Superman: The Movie even though it had alternates and unused music?

Do you have a problem with the people who bought the above CDs?

Why would someone professing to be a John Williams fan NOT want to have every note that he composed for the film, used and unused?

Your argument is pointless. You misunderstand the petition and it gives the apperance that either you aren't the sharpest tool in the toolbox, or you are just arguing for the sake of it.

Making a CD release like this is a win-win-win-win. Lucas, Williams, and Sony Classical make more money, and John Williams fans, Star Wars fans, and film score fans are happy. Not to mention that Williams would be happier with his artistic vision represented on CDs instead of the sloppy cut that made the film.

Why argue? Don't you have anything better to do?

I hate to state the painfully obvious, but who am I to demand score from a film in which the filmmaker deemed it unworkable in the final cut?

This is an easy question to answer. You are a consumer paying your hard-earned money for a product that?s who. And that, my friend, gives you the right to demand a quality product, especially when a previous product from the same manufacturer was advertised to be something it was not. If one doesn't stand up for their rights and what they believe in, one will often be treated like a doormat.

The fact of the matter is you're taking the entire petition out of context. It is not in place to demand that a full score be released period. It is there to ensure that Sony knows the majority of Star Wars score fans do not want a film edit of the score when, or if, they choose to release an expanded version. The Phantom Menace: Ultimate Edition release was advertised as containing "every note composed for the film" and that was not the case with the final product. Most fans were quite displeased, and rightfully so. Lucasfilm even saw fit to issue an official apology.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the edits in the film, though I must admit I'm one of the very few here that doesn't. I do not want such edits on a CD release however, nor would I buy such a product again. The edits in the film are masked with sound effects and what not; however, as score release the edits are blatantly jarring, and painfully obvious, leading to an unpleasant listening experience.

If Lucas himself had such a problem with the score, to the point he considered parts totally unusable, he would have changed them during the recording sessions. He was present during the recordings, and had final approval then and there. He liked them well enough before such edits became necessary. Lucas didn't find cues so unfit they were edited, as in the film, for the first OST release of the score. I also doubt we'd have releases like the RCA Victor Special Edition sets, which restored unused cues, if he felt that way. The fact is sound designer and editor Ben Burtt, and others, made such edits, not Lucas. Yes, Lucas had to approve the decisions, but that certainly doesn't mean he finds the unedited music unpresentable on compact disc.

I respect your decision not to sign the petition, as it is entirely up to you. Please show some similar respect for those of us that do choose to sign it.

Arrrgh! I was logged out when I opened the message in a new window! The above post belongs to me, should anyone choose to reply

I'm a fan of Star Wars. I'm a fan of Lucas. I may be the only one who has liked and defended all 5 movies to date, and I've loved them all.

:cry: you hurt me*. You are not alone, i'm with you.

The only bad thing is the re-use of TMP music, the AOC music edited is not that bad.

Luke, who thinks that AOC it the best movie he has seen, EVER. And will be EVEN better when williams rescores all 6 movies for the DVD release in 2006 :)

*j/k :)

OOps. Sorry Luke.

Basically, we just need the whole darn score, not just the parts that made the film, nor just the parts that could fit on a single album release. All of it. That should cover it. :)

This is an easy question to answer. You are a consumer paying your hard-earned money for a product that?s who. And that, my friend, gives you the right to demand a quality product, especially when a previous product from the same manufacturer was advertised to be something it was not. If one doesn't stand up for their rights and what they believe in, one will often be treated like a doormat.

We GOT a quality product. The original soundtrack of AOTC. Basically, you're saying that even though you got a quality product (and who here is going to argue that the current AOTC score album in the market is a shoddy piece of work?), you're STILL not satisfied and you want more. Well, that's your right to make such a demand. Personally, if I were Sony Classical, I'd tell you that you already got your "quality product," and if you're not happy with the current AOTC score album...so be it.

But that's just me. :)

The fact of the matter is you're taking the entire petition out of context. It is not in place to demand that a full score be released period. It is there to ensure that Sony knows the majority of Star Wars score fans do not want a film edit of the score when, or if, they choose to release an expanded version. The Phantom Menace: Ultimate Edition release was advertised as containing "every note composed for the film" and that was not the case with the final product. Most fans were quite displeased, and rightfully so.  Lucasfilm even saw fit to issue an official apology.

This is pure speculation, I'll admit...but I'm guessing Lucasfilm "saw fit" to issue an apology so that these irate fans would be placated and shut up about the matter. Apparently, it worked.

BTW, hundreds of names on an online petition does NOT constitute a "majority of Star Wars score fans." Me thinks you're giving these petitions a little too much credit. Granted, I believe that Sony erred in stating that the TPM: UE soundtrack contained "every note composed for the film." That's a silly claim to make with ANY soundtrack, since rarely does "every note" appear in any case. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in that they meant "every note composed that APPEARED in the film," although that obviously wasn't their specific claim.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the edits in the film, though I must admit I'm one of the very few here that doesn't. I do not want such edits on a CD release however, nor would I buy such a product again. The edits in the film are masked with sound effects and what not; however, as score release the edits are blatantly jarring, and painfully obvious, leading to an unpleasant listening experience.

I'm with you on that one. I didn't have a major problem with the AOTC edits during the finale. Frankly, I thought most of the music worked in the context of the respective sequence, and the NEW material that appeared during the light saber duel more than made up for whatever was missing.

That being said, I WOULD buy an "extended" soundtrack that contained the music as it APPEARED IN THE FILM if only to get the new stuff, which I thoroughly enjoyed even WITH the edits.

If Lucas himself had such a problem with the score, to the point he considered parts totally unusable, he would have changed them during the recording sessions. He was present during the recordings, and had final approval then and there. He liked them well enough before such edits became necessary.  Lucas didn't find cues so unfit they were edited, as in the film, for the first OST release of the score. I also doubt we'd have releases like the RCA Victor Special Edition sets, which restored unused cues, if he felt that way. The fact is sound designer and editor Ben Burtt, and others, made such edits, not Lucas. Yes, Lucas had to approve the decisions, but that certainly doesn't mean he finds the unedited music unpresentable on compact disc.

Look, this is going to be a common issue with the new trilogy PERIOD. Lucas tinkers with these films right down the last minute. With digitial technology as his disposal (especially shooting AOTC with digital cameras), he has the ability most filmmakers only dream of....the ability to make major or minor changes right up to a few weeks prior to the release date. It's obvious he had some new ideas he wanted injected into the film, and he did so...at the expense of Williams' score. This is going to happen with the next SW film as well, I predict. I could be wrong.

I respect your decision not to sign the petition, as it is entirely up to you. Please show some similar respect for those of us that do choose to sign it.

On that we also agree.

-DS

:sneaky2:

OK, class, I think that some of you are still not getting it.

The Director (or in some cases, the Producer) creates a film. He/she then needs to back the film with music to deepen the emotional aspect of the visuals. In the case of Attack of the Clones, George Lucas as Director and Executive Producer (read THE MAN IN ULTIMATE CONTROL OF THE FILM), hired John Williams to compose this musical background for HIS (not your, not mine, not even Mr. Williams' but HIS) film.

Once the composer finishes the score and records it, HE IS COMPLETELY FINISHED WITH THE PROJECT, unless the director/producer hires him for re-scoring or additional score. The point is, if Mr. Lucas does not desire Mr. Williams for any additional music, Mr. Williams' job is OVER for this project.

If the producer/director decides during post that any part of the score (or all of it) does not work with their vision of the film, they have every right to not use it.

There have been several dozen (if not hundred) films where the director trashed an entire score and had another composer write the film's score from scratch.

NOW LISTEN, BOYS AND GIRLS, BECUASE HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART:

A composer has no rights to his/her score. It is now the property of the studio or production company which hired (AND PAID THE SALARY OF THE COMPOSER WHICH WROTE IT), and they can do whatever the please with it.

No one but this production company or studio has ANY RIGHT TO THIS SCORE.

George Lucas re-scored all of his films the way he felt would be most suited to his vision. The only reason the Ultimate Edition of Phantom Menace was even released is because he authorized it. And yes, it is Mr. Lucas' vision we hear on the album, Not Mr. Williams'

If you want to hear an entire score the way Mr. Willams' composed it, then I suggest you direct or produce your own film, have him score it, and then you can hear it any way you wish.

If not, then realize that you are at the whim of the director/producer of the film, they owe the composer nothing beyond paying them for the score, and STOP YOUR INCESSANT IMMATURE WHINING!!!!!

:sneaky2:  

OK, class, I think that some of you are still not getting it.

The Director (or in some cases, the Producer) creates a film.  He/she then needs to back the film with music to deepen the emotional aspect of the visuals.  In the case of Attack of the Clones, George Lucas as Director and Executive Producer (read THE MAN IN ULTIMATE CONTROL OF THE FILM), hired John Williams to compose this musical background for HIS (not your, not mine, not even Mr. Williams' but HIS) film.

Once the composer finishes the score and records it, HE IS COMPLETELY FINISHED WITH THE PROJECT, unless the director/producer hires him for re-scoring or additional score.  The point is, if Mr. Lucas does not desire Mr. Williams for any additional music, Mr. Williams' job is OVER for this project.

If the producer/director decides during post that any part of the score (or all of it)  does not work with their vision of the film, they have every right to not use it.

There have been several dozen (if not hundred) films where the director trashed an entire score and had another composer write the film's score from scratch.  

NOW LISTEN, BOYS AND GIRLS, BECUASE HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART:

A composer has no rights to his/her score.  It is now the property of the studio or production company which hired (AND PAID THE SALARY OF THE COMPOSER WHICH WROTE IT), and they can do whatever the please with it.

George Lucas re-scored all of his films the way he felt would be most suited to his vision.  The only reason the Ultimate Edition of Phantom Menace was even released is because he authorized it.  And yes, it is Mr. Lucas' vision we hear on the album, Not Mr. Williams'

If you want to hear an entire score the way Mr. Willams' composed it, then I suggest you direct or produce your own film, have him score it, and then you can hear it any way you wish.

If not, then realize that you are at the whim of the director/producer of the film, they owe the composer nothing beyond paying them for the score, and STOP YOUR INCESSANT IMMATURE WHINING!!!!!

I believe it is you, my friend, who is "not getting it." Your discussion of rights to a movie score is extremely and needlessly condescending, and at the same time ignores the topic at hand. We all understand that the film belongs to Lucas, and we all understand that he is under no obligation to oblige any of us in our requests for any sort of musical release. However, as previously stated, we have every right to request such a release, and demand that it be advertised correctly. We're not marching around the Sony headquarters, or sending threatening letters. A simple petition was created to make our concerns known. Everyone understands that the Sony execs can and very possibly will ignore this. But if you want something, why not go for it in a civilized manner? And did you even read the petition? It's not immature or whiny at all. But I dare say that you've accomplished that quite well:

STOP YOUR INCESSANT IMMATURE WHINING!!!!!

Very mature.

Ray Barnsbury

The only people whining are people that don't get the intended nature of the petition, and the difference between fans of John Williams wanting to enjoy his full score and Star Wars fans wanting just the music in the film.

Who cares what cut made the film? I don't. Sometimes my favorite cues for a score don't even make the film. THAT'S the point. Williams composed it, and we want it.

Idiots. Confused blunderers. Why bother with them if they don't even know what we are talking about? How you can read that petition and not understand is beyond me. Perhaps they have mental problems?

If you don't like the petition, don't sign it. That's what a petition is. Why be a jackass and ramble on about sheer stupidity here?

We GOT a quality product. The original soundtrack of AOTC. Basically, you're saying that even though you got a quality product (and who here is going to argue that the current AOTC score album in the market is a shoddy piece of work?), you're STILL not satisfied and you want more. Well, that's your right to make such a demand. Personally, if I were Sony Classical, I'd tell you that you already got your "quality product," and if you're not happy with the current AOTC score album...so be it.

Hahahaha!!!! Don't make me laugh, it only has about half of the music, if for example half of a Wagner opera was released on a CD, it would not be considered a quality product, why should a film score be any different?

I'm with you on that one.  I didn't have a major problem with the AOTC edits during the finale.  Frankly, I thought most of the music worked in the context of the respective sequence, and the NEW material that appeared during the light saber duel more than made up for whatever was missing.

That being said, I WOULD buy an "extended" soundtrack that contained the music as it APPEARED IN THE FILM if only to get the new stuff, which I thoroughly enjoyed even WITH the edits.

Worked??? How did it work, it was all disjointed and didn't make any thematic sense.

Look, this is going to be a common issue with the new trilogy PERIOD.  Lucas tinkers with these films right down the last minute.  With digitial technology as his disposal (especially shooting AOTC with digital cameras), he has the ability most filmmakers only dream of....the ability to make major or minor changes right up to a few weeks prior to the release date.  It's obvious he had some new ideas he wanted injected into the film, and he did so...at the expense of Williams' score.  This is going to happen with the next SW film as well, I predict.  I could be wrong.

Yes, and it is a crime against good culture every where!

Hahahaha!!!! Don't make me laugh, it only has about half of the music, if for example half of a Wagner opera was released on a CD, it would not be considered a quality product, why should a film score be any different?

I'm with you on that one.  I didn't have a major problem with the AOTC edits during the finale.  Frankly, I thought most of the music worked in the context of the respective sequence, and the NEW material that appeared during the light saber duel more than made up for whatever was missing.

Worked??? How did it work, it was all disjointed and didn't make any thematic sense.

Look, this is going to be a common issue with the new trilogy PERIOD.  Lucas tinkers with these films right down the last minute.  With digitial technology as his disposal (especially shooting AOTC with digital cameras), he has the ability most filmmakers only dream of....the ability to make major or minor changes right up to a few weeks prior to the release date.  It's obvious he had some new ideas he wanted injected into the film, and he did so...at the expense of Williams' score.  This is going to happen with the next SW film as well, I predict.  I could be wrong.

Yes, and it is a crime against good culture every where!

ARG!

A composer has no rights to his/her score. It is now the property of the studio or production company which hired (AND PAID THE SALARY OF THE COMPOSER WHICH WROTE IT), and they can do whatever the please with it.  

Stop telling us it is, we already know. Start telling us how it should be!

Stop telling us it is, we already know. Start telling us how it should be!

And that--folks--is the purpose behind all of this complaining. Fans who want reality to conform to THEIR particular of how it "should be."

Don't worry....maybe Sony Classical will slap together another album containing ALL of the music as presented in the film...just to shut you guys up. And then, when you complain about THAT particular album, Lucas tell one of his subordinates to issue a half-hearted "apology" just to placate these whining masses.

I'd hate to be in marketing nowadays. The public is never happy. :mrgreen:

-DS

Then am I correct in assuming that you NEVER bought this "inferior product?" After all, you would want NOTHING to do with something you didn't consider a "quality product," would you? Never mind that Williams produced the album, and arranged the cues to fit the time allotted. Never mind that this product which you claim is NOT "quality" would seem to have Williams' stamp of approval.

You guys are getting a little ridiculous. Now you're saying that any album that doesn't have EVERY NOTE of score composed for the film is somehow "inferior?" In making that sort of judgment, you're negating what IS on the album and instead harping about what ISN'T there. Grow up.

-DS

And that--folks--is the purpose behind all of this complaining. Fans who want reality to conform to THEIR particular of how it "should be."

Fans are the customers. Fans know better than anyone what is decent treatment of art. Lucas is treating the score like it's some wallpaper.

Then am I correct in assuming that you NEVER bought this "inferior product?" After all, you would want NOTHING to do with something you didn't consider a "quality product," would you? Never mind that Williams produced the album, and arranged the cues to fit the time allotted. Never mind that this product which you claim is NOT "quality" would seem to have Williams' stamp of approval.

I brought it because it's all there was, and I'm sure Williams would be happier if it was a full release, Sony probably didn't want to do that. I'll take what there is but think the score diserves something better.

You guys are getting a little ridiculous. Now you're saying that any album that doesn't have EVERY NOTE of score composed for the film is somehow "inferior?" In making that sort of judgment, you're negating what IS on the album and instead harping about what ISN'T there. Grow up.

No, I am simply saying it could be much much better.

Sony Classical will slap together another album containing ALL of the music as presented in the film...just to shut you guys up
You guys are getting a little ridiculous.
Grow up.

DarthSimian, perhaps you may want to read the forum rules before posting your next message.

It may help :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Fans are the customers. Fans know better than anyone what is decent treatment of art. Lucas is treating the score like it's some wallpaper.

Then perhaps these "fans" should invest about $200 million of their own money and create their own art. Somehow I doubt anybody would be any happier if "fans" had creative control as opposed to the actual CREATOR. That would only complicate the situation.

I brought it because it's all there was, and I'm sure Williams would be happier if it was a full release, Sony probably didn't want to do that. I'll take what there is but think the score diserves something better.

There is ALWAYS the possibility of "something better" out there. And contrary to popular belief on this board, I seriously doubt that Sony Classical and/or Lucas get their kicks by alienating their customers. There many be a multitude of reasons why Sony can't or won't release an "extended edition" of the AOTC score, but I'm betting that "screwing over the patrons" isn't high on that list. :mrgreen:

-DS

Idiots. Confused blunderers. Why bother with them if they don't even know what we are talking about? How you can read that petition and not understand is beyond me. Perhaps they have mental problems?

If you don't like the petition, don't sign it. That's what a petition is. Why be a jackass and ramble on about sheer stupidity here?

Perhaps you would prefer a post containing THAT sort of material, Mr. Befan?

:roll:

-DS

Perhaps you would prefer a post containing THAT sort of material, Mr. Befan?

:roll:

-DS

Sorry, I overlooked that part. Thanks for pointing it out.