Why wasn't TPM nominated for an Oscar?

Hector J. Guzman

I think it should have been nominated. I'm led to believe since the Academy thinks the Oscar are sort of like the nobel prize for movies they don't nominate an adventure score? Should they always nominate drama scores? A dramatic score shouldn't only include simpler movies (though lately Hollywood has not come up with good movies).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the film was a disapointment. I'm willing to bet that if it had been better than the OT or on par with it, the score would have been nominated. I certainly thought it deserved it. Maybe the numerous edits had something to do with it. (What else was nominated that year? Angela's Ashes?)

Yes, I know what you mean, but that's not Johnny boy's fault! There are a lot of great scores for bad movies that should get nomination(i.e. Goldsmith's First Knight), and a lot of bad scores for good movies that have been nominated. Just because the movie was critically acclaimed, the score is good by default? And should get a nomination?

Well, back to the subject, as I said before:

I know what you mean, but that's not Johnny boy's fault! There are a lot of great scores for bad movies that should get nomination(i.e. Goldsmith's First Knight), and a lot of bad scores for good movies that have been nominated. Just because the movie was critically acclaimed, the score is good by default? And should get a nomination?

I think it wasn't nominated because the film was critically disappointing. I was not expecting A.I. to get a nomination because of that, but it seems the musicians in the Academy actually had more control over that one. Which would explain why The Red Violin won the Oscar that year.

In my opinion, it should've gone to Angela's Ashes which I consider Johnny's most emotional work to date. Let alone, one of his best, in my opinion.

Thomas Newman's American Beauty was nominated that year as was a Randy Newman score.....I think it was Toy Story 2, but I'm not sure. I can't think of the other one. Was it Ennio Morricone's The Legend Of 1900? If so, it was a great bunch of nominees. The Red Violin had masterful composition, but it was no Angela's Ashes.

Dan - who supports Johnny all the way

:) "Fourth Floor Hallway" from Panic Room (Shore)

Yes, Angela's Ashes was nominated that year.

Yes, and it disserved it too about as much as TPM, very moving score. Perhaps that year they thought 2 nominations was too much.

Well, while I credit TPM by being one of Williams' most exciting scores, it's emotional impact was no match for Angela's Ashes. That's my opinion, of course, and one that I doubt many will discredit. Of the people I know/speak to/socialize with, they enjoy TPM greatly for it's brassy moments and fabulous action cues -- and even the more dramatic moments, but it doesn't match the emotional breadth in Angela's Ashes.

Dan - who thinks this year, Johnny may get nominated for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and/or Catch Me If You Can. I'll be very surprised if he gets nominated for Episode II.

I would love that! After all he's won for 4 Spielberg films and 1 Lucas film.

Dan - hoping Johnny gets another double or even triple nomination this year

:music: "Farewell and End Title" from Dances With Wolves (Barry)

It would be cool, three nominations. He has a chance of 60% to win an Oscar then!

But surely he would not :D

Can he achieve 4 nominations? He surely would win with that :music:

TPM should have been nominated, at least for tradition (all old star wars scores were nominated)

Uh er well I acciedently posted a messege on this thread that was supposed to be on another thread so I don't really have anything to say so....

Hello y'all!! :D

Justin - :music:

I met Silvestri after re-meeting Williams. Really down-to-Earth guys with wonderful personalities and incredibly nice.

Dan - who thinks Bruce Broughton has the closest style to Williams, along with Silvestri. Broughton's actually an incredibly cool cross between Goldsmith and Williams, I think. Anyone heard the full score to Lost In Space?? Wow....

Oops that was supposed to go on the other thread there Director. Although that's neat that you met Silvestri. :music:

Justin -Embaressed over his blunder... :oops:

Ah!! An anecdote: revealed.

Dan - signing off at 310 and sleeping for an hour or two

:music: "The Love Theme" from Dances With Wolves (Barry)

Well, while I credit TPM by being one of Williams' most exciting scores, it's emotional impact was no match for Angela's Ashes.  That's my opinion, of course, and one that I doubt many will discredit.  Of the people I know/speak to/socialize with, they enjoy TPM greatly for it's brassy moments and fabulous action cues -- and even the more dramatic moments, but it doesn't match the emotional breadth in Angela's Ashes.

Dan - who thinks this year, Johnny may get nominated for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and/or Catch Me If You Can.  I'll be very surprised if he gets nominated for Episode II.

You might be riht, but even if TPM is not up there with the original trilogy scores, ....ah, whatever.. . I think TPM should have gotten a nomination, though

I would love that!  After all he's won for 4 Spielberg films and 1 Lucas film.  

Dan - hoping Johnny gets another double or even triple nomination this year

;) "Farewell and End Title" from Dances With Wolves (Barry)

I'm not sure this is quite right. I believe he won for just three Spielberg films. Here're the Oscars that I know of:

Fiddler on the Roof (Adaptation)

Jaws (Spielberg)

Star Wars (Lucas)

E.T. (Spielberg)

Schindler's List (Spielberg)

Am I missing one, somewhere?

Yes, you're right, I'm sorry.

Hector: I completely think Episode I should have received a nomination. He definitely deserved a nomination for Angela's Ashes as well, I think. This is why I think the Academy should have two score categories again. It's so frustrating. There should be a category for Dramatic Score and another for Comedic/Adventure score. I mean --- c'mon. How can you compare Monster's Inc. to A.I.?

Dan - annoyed with this for years

Well TPM sure as hell wasn't garnering any nominations for Acting, Direction, or screenplay thats for damn sure!

At least not at these oscars!

It had a very good chance at the Razzies though with such a high quality film that TPM is. :)