John Williams lecture -- input needed.

Thor

I think one of JW's most interesting and defining aspects is the perfection he achieved in the leitmotiv technique applied to film scoring. I know it's a very broad topic, but it's always engaging for the general audience, especially if you can bring a few examples from the Star Wars films.

Also the religioso-style Williams employs in various scores for various purposes might be something worth discussing. I remember you are a great fan of this brand of JW music.

19 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Also the religioso-style Williams employs in various scores for various purposes might be something worth discussing. I remember you are a great fan of this brand of JW music.

Yeah, that's what I meant with 'pastoral elements' over.

I know it is nowhere near as prevalent as with Jerry Goldsmith and many contemporaries but what about Williams's use of electronics. While he might not employ then with the beep-bleebity-bloop kind of style Goldsmith used them prominently in many of his scores (to good and bad effect) some mention of his electronics might be an interesting deviation from the norm and illustrate how and when and why he does utilize them.

Electronics are not what defines Williams, but I got that question in the last lecture, and it was useful to have some of his more discrete uses handy. First I played the "Training Montage" from SPACECAMP to show that he could go all out 80s electropop. But then I played some of the more common, more discrete uses -- like in SLEEPERS, "Dennis Steals the Embryos"/"The Conspirators", PRESUMED INNOCENT, A.I. etc.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the response!

Yes, "ethnic" colours are an interesting aspect of his work. But it's not really an aspect that Williams uniquely excels at. I mean, I could find a similar ethnic diversity in other composers' music too.

I was more thinking aspects of film wherein Williams finds particular inspiration, and which have led to some great musical pieces that sorta define him.

Yeah, I know it's kinda vague, but again:

- Flight

- Americana

- Pastoral elements

Fantasy or Sci-Fi seems to bring out the best of him (or at least that which is most popular).  Also, in terms of his event pieces, well "big events" seem to inspire him. 

His way to use a percussive instrument (ex. xylophone) combined with (upper) glissandi of flutes or strings in action sequences.

He uses that alot. That's pretty distinctive.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Fantasy or Sci-Fi seems to bring out the best of him (or at least that which is most popular).  Also, in terms of his event pieces, well "big events" seem to inspire him. 

Yes and as Emilio Audissino's book John Williams's Film Music suggests, Williams is really the spiritual successor of the composers of the Golden Age of Hollywood, where many of his strengths and sensibilities lie, of course filtered through his own voice.