Gramophone cover boy John Williams

Figo

thanks for the scans! :mrgreen:

So Placido Domingo has Williams in High regard. Good to know an important Spanish character likes williams :)

Wanst Pavarotti the one who asked, anyway?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was always Domingo, who is the LA Opera Artistic Director.

But in the late 90's Nagano did requested Williams an aditional movement for Holst's The Planets suite. The comission went to someone else for some reason.

No it was always Domingo, who is the LA Opera Artistic Director.

I suppose i assumed Pavarotti since Yes, Giorgio...

But in the late 90's Nagano did requested Williams an aditional movement for Holst's The Planets suite. The comission went to someone else for some reason.

So that's where 'Pluto' has come.

Shame Williams didnt want to tiker with it :(

Isn't that kinda like adding another testament to the Bible?

Maybe that's the reason Williams skiped the project. I never heard Pluto, but I seem to remember that my good friedn Romão did, and didn't had all that much praise for it... In the end, it would always be compared with Holst's work, and those are some shoes to fill...

. In the end, it would always be compared with Holst's work, and those are some shoes to fill...

I think that Williams can compose something better than the existing movements in The Planets.Tons of his works already is.

K.M.

. In the end, it would always be compared with Holst's work, and those are some shoes to fill...

I think that Williams can compose something better than the existing movements in The Planets.Tons of his works already is.

K.M.

I don't!

Maybe something diferent, or even as good as... but better? I really don't now.

I think anyone adding a piece of music to an existing body of work, like "The Planets", which was completed in the eyes of the original composer, who was also accomplished, and is widely known and appreciated as one of the best classical works, is kinda insulting and sacrilegious. I don't really care how good the newer composer that they would select is, you just don't do something like that. That's like adding another variation onto Elgar's Enigma set. The work is solidified, don't mess with it.

Tim

Also, there is mounting scientific evidence suggesting that Pluto is not a true planet, but a very large asteroid from the Kuiper Belt (a formation of numerous aterouds) that has got caught in the sun's gravitational pull.

Essentially a giant rock in space.

Also, there is mounting scientific evidence suggesting that Pluto is not a true planet, but a very large asteroid from the Kuiper Belt (a formation of numerous aterouds) that has got caught in the sun's gravitational pull.

Essentially a giant rock in space.

LOL

Yeah, I don't like the idea of adding to a piece. I'm still a little ticked off about Mozart's Requiem. I wonder what it would've been if he'd finished it. He had to go and die at the worst time....