amistad

12pete23

who know what percussion instrument that is used in the piece dry your tears afrika? I' m looking for the name of the instrument that makes the sound of a whip. In my score they name it pully stick but I think its wrong. Could it be a Pu ilu stick from hawai?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the Hawaiian Puili sticks.

What? In a score about slaves from Africa??? If only Horner or Zimmer would have done this...

Yeah Horner gets bashed for this a bit to often.

Trevor Jones used a lot of gaelic influences in his much praised Last Of The Mohicans score.

Imagine the hell that would have broken loose on forums everywere if Horner would have done that score.

Because that is a Japanese instrument, and the film takes place in....Japan.

Please try to keep up will you.

However Jerry goldsmith got away with using an Armanian instrument (the Duduk) in The Russia House.

Of course this was before anyone even knew what a Duduk was....

Well, yeah, but before that it was considered a rather over-used instrument by many.

well thx for the quick problem solver, the only question is where to find the puili sticks.

Mapel's Instruments

Meadowstreet #14B

Hawaii

Try it there.

Well, yeah, but before that it was considered a rather over-used instrument by many.

well I think that critisism is mostly aimed at Horner, who has really used that instrument far to much (what the hell is it doing in Another 48 Hours or The Mask Of Zorro)

Also, for such a diverse instrument with a large range, Horner pretty much always used it in the same way, either for providing a rhytm under action/suspense scoring, or very loud blasts of it (accompanied with loud drum or piano crashes) for sudden scene changes.

well I think that critisism is mostly aimed at Horner, who has really used that instrument far to much (what the hell is it doing in Another 48 Hours or The Mask Of Zorro)

Also, for such a diverse instrument with a large range, Horner pretty much always used it in the same way, either for providing a rhytm under action/suspense scoring, or very loud blasts of it (accompanied with loud drum or piano crashes) for sudden scene changes.

What you fail to realise my young padewan is that Mr Horner is a substance abuser. ;)

However Jerry goldsmith got away with using an Armanian instrument (the Duduk) in The Russia House.  

Of course this was before anyone even knew what a Duduk was....

And after Goldsmith and before Zimmer, Revell also used the Duduk in his score for The Crow.

Duduk was excellent in TRUE GRIT although I must say that THE SEARCHERS was his finest hour.