John Williams Conducts San Diego Symphony

ft92027

Just announced in this morning's "San Diego Union-Tribune":

John Williams, Hollywood's most celebrated film composer and the Boston Pops' laureate conductor, will return to the San Diego Symphony for his first performance with the orchestra in 21 years.

Williams will donate his services for a pension-fund concert Feb. 10 – two days after his 75th birthday – that will benefit the ensemble's musicians.

“I fondly remember appearing with the San Diego Symphony quite a few years ago,” said the musician, who led the orchestra in 1986 and conducted the Boston Pops here in 1985. “I'm excited about reconnecting with the orchestra and lending my support to their mission of bringing great music to San Diego.”

Though repertoire has yet to be announced, the Copley Symphony Hall program is expected to showcase works by Williams, who has won five Academy Awards, 18 Grammys and four Emmys. He retired from the Boston Pops in 1993 after 14 seasons as conductor.

The prolific composer has written everything from a cello concerto for Yo-Yo Ma to themes for the Olympic Games. He has composed the scores for more than 100 films, including such hits as the “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” trilogies, “Jurassic Park,” “Home Alone,” “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” “E.T.” and, more recently, several of the “Harry Potter” movies.

San Diego Symphony executive director Edward B. “Ward” Gill, who calls himself a “huge fan of all of John Williams' music,” said the symphony is “truly honored and privileged” to have Williams perform.

Tickets to the 8 p.m. benefit concert – priced from $30 to $500 – go on sale to symphony subscribers today and to the general public Nov. 24. (The $500 package includes a reception, autographed CD and dinner with birthday cake for Williams.)

Tickets and information are available at (619) 235-0804 or www.sandiegosymphony.com.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I'm trying to choreograph my grand "Escape from LA" by applying to jobs located elsewhere. We'll see, though...

I certainly can understand that desire. Good luck! But heck, if you're still stuck in SoCal, at least you'll be able to see Johnny.

By the way, I recall you mentioning that you'd been to the Tonight Show taping when he appeared, as well as the recent Hollywood Bowl concert (I was there for that, at least). How many times have you seen him in person?

I certainly can understand that desire. Good luck! But heck, if you're still stuck in SoCal, at least you'll be able to see Johnny.

By the way, I recall you mentioning that you'd been to the Tonight Show taping when he appeared, as well as the recent Hollywood Bowl concert (I was there for that, at least). How many times have you seen him in person?

Yeah, that's the downside of moving out of SoCal- being so far away from Williams concerts! But my family is in LA, I can always visit with the pretense of seeing family, while really being there for a JW concert, haha

I've seen JW in person 6 times now (the Tonight Show plus 5 Hollywood Bowl concerts), and apparently just missed him at several other LA-area events I attended (at which I had no idea he was attending until after the fact). One day I'll get an autograph in person, one day... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting emails about this from the San Diego Symphony and finally ordered my tickets. :) I'll be in the 2nd row. This will be my 1st Williams concert. I can't wait!

My seats are pretty close too... I wonder if that will be too close??? Are you worried about being up too close? I figured it was better there then in Row U or W which was the other option... I was pretty tempted to fork out $1000 for 2 of the special tickets but i didnt have that much stock to sell haha.

Does any one know whats on the Program i cant seem to find it

The program hasn't been announced yet... most likely the highlights will be when the date gets closer

Just got my tickets today. Paid a bit more than I wanted to, especially since I got balcony seats. I actually like it better up high. You can see the whole orchestra better. In fact, I used to ONLY get balcony seats forBoston Pops shows. But getting back to San Diego, I seriously can't wait for this concert (and I'll only have to travel about 10 minutes to get there from my house too)!!!

Hmmm. Strange. I ordered mine 5 days after Thanksgiving. But I also live in San Diego, so if you live in the SD area as well, I'd be worried if I were you.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a major relief. Not that I have any idea who you are, but now that your tickets have arrived,I guess I'll see you there! :angry:

Likewise, I am sure. If you see the floating head of Sio Bibble, that's not me though!

• 1 month later...

So do you think its better to be up close? 2nd-4th rows for example or better further in the back or up higher??? Hmmmmmm???????

So do you think its better to be up close? 2nd-4th rows for example or better further in the back or up higher??? Hmmmmmm???????

I don't know. It is entirely possible that I'll be too close.