Which of these trilogies do you want the most on DVD

JoeinAR

Which would you rather have 1st on DVD  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Star Wars Trilogy
    • Indiana Jones Trilogy

I am not watching the Original Trilogy of Star Wars at all until after Episode III comes out.

that's interesting. why are you doing that, strilo?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not watching the Original Trilogy of Star Wars at all until after Episode III comes out.

Hey, strilo will be one of the frst people watching the trilogy in its appropriate order.

You can purchase buy both trilogys here in Thailand on DVD copies. LOL. As they've not been released on DVD yet, i guess they must be from Video or laser disc transfer or something. About 200 Bhat for each film if anyone comes here. :angry:

In regards to the order in which the Star Wars films should be watched, I think it would be foolish to see them for the first time in sequential, numerical order. One must appreciate them in the historical contexts in which they were made, rather than the internal continuity of the films themselves. I believe that the prequels have been filmed with the knowledge that most of the audience would have seen and be familiar with the original trilogy. Many of the most successful elements of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (in my opinion) are derived from an awareness of what will happen.

For example the duel between Darth Maul, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in TPM assumes a degree of menace and dread the very first time you see it because 1) you know the parallels established between it and the duel between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan in A New Hope, in which the latter is slain and therefore expect a similar outcome for Qui-Gon; and 2) the foreshadowed and aforementioned death of Qui-Gon itself lays the groundwork for further tragedy: Obi-Wan's acceptance of the apprenticeship of Anakin, a task in which he will fail and prove partly culpable in the emergence of Darth Vader.

Another case can be made for the blossoming romance between Anakin and Padme in AOTC. It is just as much a tale of tragedy and loss as it is of love, because the audience is fully aware of how the relationship turns out (albiet minus specific details): Padme "kind, but sad", driven to an early death, unable to experience the growth and development of her two exceptional children, while Anakin is corrupted to become "more machine now than man, twisted and evil", an entity that seeks the destruction of his own progeny. This is testament to his desire to completely and utterly destroy any memory and trace of the passionate love he once felt for Padme Amidala. :cry:

How can anyone hope to truly appreciate this texture and development of theme and character, without having seen the original trilogy before the prequels?

CYPHER

So he can truly appreciate even more what great films the OT SW films are after seeing SW at its worst.

At least thats how I see it.

TPM and AOTC have made my appreciation of the Classic SW films rise even further.

At least I got something positive out of em. :angry:

Maybe Morn, but I think it works better when watched in chronological order of when the films were made. That way everything's pointed in the right direction and the intent and thought put into constructing the films works best. Given the choice, if Ep III were already released, would you watch the two trilogies for the FIRST time from Ep I - VI?

CYPHER

if Ep III were already released, would you watch the two trilogies for the FIRST time from Ep I - VI?

CYPHER

I would because the whole context has changed.Now to me the story begins with TPM and ends with ROTJ.Why go frontwards then backward now that the focus has changed from Luke's story to Anakin's.IT would now be like reading the second half of a book before the first.

K.M.

Hmm, I think will work well in chronological order, but can't be sure. In any case, I think chronological order will add to the original trilogy rather than take anything away from it, though it might reduce surprise, it adds suspense because you are waiting for it to happen.

can't , though it might reduce surprise, it adds suspense because you are waiting for it to happen.

I agree.

K.M.

Since we all knows what happens it lacks any surprise or suspense.

can't , though it might reduce surprise, it adds suspense because you are waiting for it to happen.

I agree.

K.M.

Since we all knows what happens it lacks any surprise or suspense.

Knowledge is not hereditary.

- The Phantom

Anyway, Raiders is the shortest of the movies, so it could use some added footage to match the other ones' timing.

GRRRRRR.

Just don't add CG crap to serve as filler, or take out all the guns, explosions, and swear words.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is, in my opinion, the only perfect Indiana Jones film, and damned near the best action/adventure movie ever made. Period. It doesn't need any changes.

It disturbs me, though, that it wasn't alter-happy George Lucas who changed and added parts of E.T., but Steven Spielberg. When you put them together, what do you get (beside a non-flowing Battle of Naboo)? The Indiana Jones Trilogy.

This means, friends, look for Spielberg & Lucas to remove the sleeping Nazi at the back door to the Well of the Souls, as well as the fly that crawls into the mouth of Paul Freeman [Rene Belloq] as he's lecturing Indy on why he shouldn't blow up the Ark. A fly that crawls into his mouth but not out, and Belloq keeps on talking. That's so cool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Jones, at least you haven't forgotten how to show a lady a good time!

Boy, you're something!

Yeah? I'll tell you what. Until I get back my five thousand dollars, you're gonna get more than you bargained for. I'm your goddamn partner!

A fly that crawls into his mouth but not out, and Belloq keeps on talking.  That's so cool.

8O And disgusting. Poor guy.

- The Phantom

Neverthe less, the window-crystal reflection on the well of the Souls, with the cobra facing both indy and Marion, could be erased, and it will not 'rape' the movie

- The Phantom.