The John Williams Orchestra?

I was watching Access Hollywood on TV the other day, they had coverage of the AOTC premiere in London, and they showed a shot of an orchestra playing the Star Wars theme, and the guy said "... with music by the John Williams Orchestra". Did anyone else saw this?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably meant the orchestra which is led my John Williams. Johnny used to have his own "orchestra" back in the day when it was cool to have one, but not anymore.

Now, he's (practically) part "owner" of the LSO and the BPO.

Dan - who has yet to see Johnny with those two orchestras

I'd say he's part owner of the BPO, but not the LSO. He doesn't use them much anymore. Rather, he like the Pops because he feels at home.

~Harry

Yeah, but his albums are all with the BPO or the LSO. They have an outstanding relationship.......the envy of most composers.

Dan - who knows Randy Newman would love to work with the LSO, but never gets a chance --- but Elliot Goldenthal did! (Explain)

Yes, Horner. But he has an advantage because he's British. However, he does go to the Todd AO Scoring Stage in Studio City (in California) a lot. But, whenever Johnny wants the LSO, he gets them. I think the first time he's wanted them for something and they were unavailable has been for Harry Potter.

Dan - who is glad the LSO will be there for ...and the Chamber of Secrets

I think HP2 will sound awesome if the LSO takes it up. I also think there will be much magic in the score again!

~Harry, signing off for now and probably the night, but maybe not

-I think the orchestra was just called "The John Williams Orchestra" jsut for the premiere, I guess :S (sort of like the "Outtatime Orchestra" for the BTTF score).

-The John Williams Orchestra? The real one I guess it was sort of like "The Larence Welk Orchestra" and "The Henry Macini Orchestra" of those times

-I always thought Horner was amercian, but went to England in his youth to study there.

Hector

Well, not only does Horner have quite a British accent (at least, I thought he did), but he has the most effeminate voice!

Dan - who assumed he was British. (he he he he)

Williams hasnt used LSO or Boston Pops for most scores - he uses some Los Angeles 'pickup' orchestra like so many other Hollywood recordings.

So Horner is American? I don't know if I like that!!

Simon R., didn't he use the BPO/BSP a lot? I know he used them for all three Oliver Stone scores as well as Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

Dan - always wondering this

Well, I just think Access Hollywood was just not detailed enough in their research this time. Probably biased because they care about actors and not much about the "classical" music world.

What about the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra? A while back, there used to be a cd with this orchestra, recorded at the ranch. But now? I wonder what happened to them.

I wonder why LSO was picked in the first place.

This doesn't really belong anywhere. but I was just thinking about it now.

Here's another fun anecdote from the early 90's:

John Williams was a one time advisor to the Disney's Young Musicians Symphony Orchestra. He mentored a young brilliant kid pianist and I THINK the kid played Saint-Saens' "Lion's theme", or something classical famous.

Does anyone else remember seeing this on Disney Channel?

Anyways, I just thought that was pretty cool for JW to do: to give his input to an young'un.

• 1 year later...

Funny to read this topic...two months ago I founded my own John Williams String Orchestra with the intention to play with some fellow students (my) arrangements of light classical and film music.

MSM - who doesn't know if this is actually legal

wow, i really have to scan the dates on some of these "new" topics, they are actually old.

Must be the new fad on the MB, old thread revival week.

Yeah, well actually I was re-reading the old posts to see if my poll hasn't been posted before and I came along this post, so.

good thinkin, it's not just you. Hector has revived some old threads. . .

Ren, who had thoughts of reviving the New Era thread. . . :)

Funny to read this topic...two months ago I founded my own John Williams String Orchestra with the intention to play with some fellow students (my) arrangements of light classical and film music.

MSM - who doesn't know if this is actually legal

You could definitely do "Delivering Telegrams" from AA.

good thinkin, it's not just you.  Hector has revived some old threads. . .  

Ren,  who had thoughts of reviving the New Era thread. . . :)

This threads were the most fun I ever had, but they locked them, and I don´t think we´ll be seening them unlocked anytime soon:

Locked one

Locked two

:) "New Sight" from Insurrection (The Maestro)

You could definitely do "Delivering Telegrams" from AA.

Thanks for the suggestion! I still haven't heard AA in it's entirety because I'm waiting for Amazon having new 'versions-without-dialogue' in stock...

Back to topic... Williams does have courrently his own orchestra! You must have heard about the LA Recording Arts Orchestra... (Cello Concerto, American Journey and the ET live premiere).

This is in fact a orchestrta made up of the same studio musicians that paly on his soundtracks. But is cool to give them a real name instead of calling them The John Williams Orchestra.

The same goes for the Skywalker SO, who besides the SW trilogy cd, also made a few more recordings in the early 90's including Christopher Young's Jennifer 8 score.