NY Phil Open Rehersal

Intermission.

Nah, not really. I'm just waiting for the second half to start and grab as many shots as I can. The problem being first row as I am tonight, I'm a seating duck for security because I have as much light on me as on stage. Oh well that.s why I picked it for the last concert.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get him to sign my star wars suite!!!!!

Even though I joked about it earlier, I didn't think I would ever be waiting in a parking lot, humming the main theme from Presumed Innocent, waiting to see John Williams drive by in a car. It was so exciting. It was too exciting. I was actually waving to John Williams, the John Williams. I was tempted to take some pictures, but I couldn't believe that I was seeing John Williams, and that a fan was chasing his car down the street. I had to talk myelf out of doing this again tonight. Anyway, it was good to see that John Williams signed the card, of my new friend, who had dropped it off with the (security) assitant outside of the green room. The concert was great. I hope JW does this again at the Avery Fischer Hall. If there's an open rehearsal. I'll get there early, and I'll rush to the stage right before the intermision. It would be unbelievable to have my picture taken with John Williams. Jwfangirl, I hope you're able to get JW to sign your suite.

whoooo...hehe. I think I may know you then because i was talking with the person who had gotten the security guard to get the thing signed.

And yea that fan that was chasing the car down the street....that was me... :music:

There are few things certain in life. Death, taxes and Johnny swinging his baton while making a left 90 degrees turn at the end of a bold piece.

DSC00815.JPG

Thank you. :music:

A few highlights:

DSC00043.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

DSC00311.JPG

DSC00521.JPG

And this is the part where I finally get some sleep: bu-bye now:

DSC00982.JPG

Alright one of the last things I'll share with you wonderful people, and please do not pm me or email me because this is all I have I swear; no I did not record the entire rehearsal or any of the concerts and as far as audio, the broadcast in January will be far superior to anything I could have done. So here we go, a minute and a half of Flight to Neverland during the rehearsal. Enjoy.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...ideoid=18294791

next time have a car stashed behind the bushes so you can jump in and chase down the black Mercedes.

She's 14 years old, so that would be a trick indeed.

Also, if the Merc was a SLK 55 AMG, then she'd have a hell of a rtime trying to keep up.

Johnny loves his German V8's. :music:

Hey vincehardy...you rock!!!!!

And to John and Stefan I was actually thinking of stealing some guys bike and following (in high heels and a skirt mind you). :( I really wanted this thing signed.

Alright one of the last things I'll share with you wonderful people, and please do not pm me or email me because this is all I have I swear; no I did not record the entire rehearsal or any of the concerts and as far as audio, the broadcast in January will be far superior to anything I could have done. So here we go, a minute and a half of Flight to Neverland during the rehearsal. Enjoy.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...ideoid=18294791

Despite my envy, I have to give you my up most appreciation. :(

I've been thinking there will be, come January, the inevitable question which night was the broadcast recorded? These are the differences I've noted:

Friday as noted in my review there was no applause during "Jane Eyre", on Saturday there was between each piece and on Sunday only between "To Thornfield" and "Reunion".

There was also a brief introduction of "Singin' in the Rain" by Stanley Donen between "The Worry Song" and "Singin' in the Rain" on Friday, it was gone the other two evenings, Williams going straight from one set to the next.

Of course there's still the possibility we get takes from different nights.

Despite my envy, I have to give you my up most appreciation. :(

My pleasure.

Thank you. They don't say anything, because they don't see me taking pictures although I had a couple of close calls during the open rehearsal. :(

Wow thats a great clip... What did you use to record and how were you able to keep the image so steady?

Vince is the official fan of the week. You must have sat right infront of me Friday AM. I am surprised that mean lady with the glasses didn't catch you!

Hehehe.

OK first off this is my camera.

It's a bit big but I've made it past the bag check every single time.

We (and by we, I mean myself and two friends) showed up at 8:30 AM and we were one of the first 10 people to get in, so we took front row (at least whatt was front row for the rehearsal since you were not allowed to seat in the first 12) all the way to the left. For one thing, I was getting a better angle and second security and ushers at Avery Fisher Hall always have the same paterns and one of them is they love going up and down the two center aisles, they will take the sides only if they have to.

My friends were acting as lookouts and were telling me when the-lady-with-the-glasses was coming down the aisle to check the front row for cameras and I was fine for most of the rehearsal until the girl (John Williams called her by her first name but I can't remember) on the right by Stanley Donen in this picture

DSC04460.JPG

She was the one with the headset giving instruction to the projectionist. Anyway, she turned around during the Speilberg/Lucas tribute and I could see in my camera she was looking straight at me. She walked up the ailse casually and talked to the-lady-with-the-glasses and that's how I finished the rehearsal with a security guy right next to me :(

It was all worth it though.

What explains the steadiness of the video is there was nobody in front of me, so I could rest my arms on the back of the seat in front of me. Convenient.

Otherwise taking pictures at Avery Fisher Hall during a concert is easy as long as you follow a few common sense rules:

1. Don't pull out your camera before the concert starts. That's when the ushers and/or security will spot you easily.

2. As a matter of fact don't pull out your camera until the second half of the concert. It's not very often but you could have one of the people seating near you, reporting you during the intermission, although really most people who see you take pictures only want to know if they will be available online.

3. You need to have a camera that's silent, has a viewfinder and performs well in low-light conditions. No LCD screen, no flash. It's the easiest way to get caught and it shows a total lack of consideration for the people around you.

4. Do not take pictures during a really quiet piece (think the intro to "Sayuri's Theme" in this concert). My camera is really quiet but it still has a slight click sound.

The person seating next to me on Friday didn't notice a thing and the one at my right on Sunday finally noticed at the last encore. Saturday I was in the middle of a group of friends so that was different.

I hope this helps for say... next year? :P

Two other things I noticed:

1) Orchestra was set up European Style, violas on the right. Celli in the middle. I have never scene JW do this before.

2) During the dress rehearsal for one of the fast dancing clips the streamer operator didn't prepare a warning and start streamer for JW. So he stopped the orchestra talked to that lady up above with the headset and told her it was messed up. He then went on to conduct with no warning streamer, just using the 5/4/3/2/1 count then guessing the tempo and of course he did it perfectly and was neither ahead nor behind. He is a master of tempo and time.

As I'm getting acquainted with "Jane Eyre" I've just noticed that the program could be misleading for people who didn't attend the concert. "Lowood" is in fact "Restoration" in the album and it could be really confusing because there is a track titled "Lowood" in the album. Just thought you'd like to know.

Update: On the "Jane Records" version of Jane Eyre there is an "At Lowood (Alternate version)" (track #13) and I think this is exactly what we heard during the concert so it all start to make sense. Still it's almost the same piece as "Restoration". Weird that Williams didn't get into details on that one.

I came back home yesterday, after a few days in NY.

I went to see the open rehearsal, and the concert both on Friday and Sunday. I loved it. It was the first time I see Williams in live. And I had the oportunity to meet him, although very briefly. I will never forget it.

For those of you who don’t visit the FSM forum, here was a review of the concert from the NYT. I’ve also included a review from The New York Sun. Both reviews were favorable, but the reviewers present an “opposing” take on William’s conducting style. Also, The NYT article erroneously mentions that the concerts “were nearly sold out”. The concerts were sold out. In fact, based on what I saw on TV last night, it looked like the attendance for the JW gala was higher that the attendance for the Philharmonic’s “opening” concert.

WEBMASTER'S NOTE:

Those who don't visit the FSM forum may have also found the two articles via this site. The links to those reviews were posted two days ago on this site's Main Page: http://www.jwfan.com. PLEASE check the Main Page BEFORE posting any "news" on the message boards.

Also, do not "copy and paste" reviews that can be found online. Thanks.

Hehehe.

OK first off this is my camera.

It's a bit big but I've made it past the bag check every single time.

DSC04460.JPG

I hope this helps for say... next year? :nod:

Well I was thinking more in two months when I visit Chicago :)

I've been thinking there will be, come January, the inevitable question which night was the broadcast recorded? These are the differences I've noted:

I think the mikes were on the stage for all three nights, so maybe they will pick and choose. Thanks for taking all of those cool pictures. Those bag checks are kind of useless. For the rehearsal, I told them I had a camera in my bag, and they just said don't use it. The security for the actual concert is much more tight. I saw the ushers using thier wireless communications during the intermission, on Saturday, while I was leaning against the stage and getting a view of the Hall, and peering at the sheet music, and so forth. Darn, I can't get the Jane Eyre music out of my head.

Yes, the mics were on stage all three evenings and I can't think of anything preventing them to pick takes from different concerts but if the recording of '06 is any indication, it will be all from the same date and I sure hope they pick Friday. Speaking of '06 I was looking at my concert tickets today and for basically the same Row B ticket I had on April 24, 2006 and September 16, 2007, I've paid $100 more this year. Talk about price jacking!

I've been listening to Jane Eyre on a loop all day. I can't wait for January 3 to have the concert version, it was amazing.

Wow! That "Hook" performance in the rehearsal clip was amazing. My favorite score and I've heard this arrangement twice in Boston, but never heard it with the "swooshes" from the percussion as prominent as that. I hope it will be played at the Detroit concert that I plan on attending.

As I'm getting acquainted with "Jane Eyre" I've just noticed that the program could be misleading for people who didn't attend the concert. "Lowood" is in fact "Restoration" in the album and it could be really confusing because there is a track titled "Lowood" in the album. Just thought you'd like to know.

Update: On the "Jane Records" version of Jane Eyre there is an "At Lowood (Alternate version)" (track #13) and I think this is exactly what we heard during the concert so it all start to make sense. Still it's almost the same piece as "Restoration". Weird that Williams didn't get into details on that one.

Vince, the alternates are not alternates, rather re-recordings. There is one of the scherzo, conducted by Charles Gerhardt and the three movement suite, conducted by Williams himself.

So tracks number 13, 14 and 15 are a concert suite of Jane Eyre and that's why it's exactly what was played last wekend. I was really starting to think that "The return" sounded a lot more like what we hear (because of the harp at the beginning) than "Reunion" form the album.

I will play Jane Eyre on a loop all day again today. :)

• 1 year later...

Nothing earth shattering but Williams made his way into the New York Philharmonic's 2008 annual report for the two concerts discussed in this thread. Now if only he would come back to New York... Annual reports for the NY phil can be found in pdf format here but the 2k8 is not up yet.

20090113_nyphil_annual2k8_small.jpg

Very nice.

Yea i've been just thinking recently that he should be coming back to NY sometime soon. Maybe in thefall? The past three concerts he's had here had a bit of a pattern to it.