JW comes to the DSO

vmw331

Hi everyone,

JW is coming to Detroit in July 2008 and I would love to attend this event.

The only problem is that you need to be a subscriber to purchase these tickets before they go on sale to the general public (September 1) and they will be sold out by then.

Does anyone have a subscription or know anyone who has one so that I could order tickets for this event?

Please let me know through PM or posting on this thread.

Thanks!! :lol:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I answered this in another thread...I called the box office and was told that tickets will go on sale to the general public in late August. I'll post back here with the exact date when I find out.

Where in Michigan are you, vmw?

Ray Barnsbury

Benefit concert? :P I hope this doesn't mean tickets will be in the $200-300 range.

I'd maybe go as I have family just across the border from there. Can anyone comment on the quality of the orchestra/hall?

Yes, I'm very interested in seeing this concert. It's not a stones throw away, but it's closer than he's been in years, so I'd love to come to this concert. Not sure what I'd need to do to get tickets though. I'm also worried about them selling out...

~JW

Tickets do go on sale to the general public September 1.

When I called the box office a few days ago, the guy told me that all of the good seats (box, dress circle, floor) are almost sold out for the Yo-Yo Ma concert which is a month after JW's performance. So, I am assuming the JW should be up there in terms of sales with Yo-Yo Ma because he is very popular as well. You would even think that JW is more popular, so tickets should sell out by September 1. Also, just the fact that this is a very rare appearance by John and he will probably not be back in this area makes the probability of selling out even more likely.

Also, I really would like to get good seats for this event and I don't want to be stuck with balcony seats because they are awful.

Tickets are $85 per person for box seats (which I'm gunning for). You also have to pay for the subsription, which is $160 per person (this is the low end). With a family of four, I certainly don't want to pay this type of money for the other performances which are included in the package because I have no interest in the other stuff.

The sound quality varies based on your seating. That's another reason why the balcony sucks because the sound is not as "full" as seating closer to the stage. Plus visibility and temperature are other issues in the balcony.

I just looked at the DSO's site, and went through as if I was buying a ticket. It shows the availability of all the sections. For the main floor and balcony, the JW concert has well over half the seats still available. For the boxes, it's just under half. I'll continue checking regularly, but hopefully there will still be some available by the time they go on sale.

Ray Barnsbury

Keep in mind that it has only been one week since tickets have gone on sale for subscribers and the JW concert has roughly half of the "good" seats left. The Yo-Yo Ma concert is just about sold out of everything, especially the good seats!! So...JW will surely come close, if not sell out entirely by September 1. That's a full month, so things don't look good for non-subscribers.

The whole point of this post is to see if there is anyone out there who has a subscription to the DSO for the 2007-2008 season so that they can order tickets for me and I can lock in good seating for my family of four right now before time runs out.

I've been to many concerts at Symphony Hall in Detroit (it's only about an hour drive from where I live) and I haven't found a bad seat in the house. That includes attending several performances in the nosebleed section. So there's really no reason, in my opinion, to pass on this event because you can't get box seats.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you quite understood the meaning of this post.

Of couse if there were only balcony tickets left, I would not "pass" on this event. Any seat is great for a JW performance, but the whole point was to get tickets now so that I wouldn't have to sit in those awful "nose bleed" or balcony seats.

Anyway, just so everyone knows, I got the last four good box seats!!! :cool:

Thanks to all who helped out!! ;)

.....now it's just a matter of meeting JW in person :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra just today decided to put tickets on sale for non-subscribers. As I post this, the DSO website isn't accepting orders from non-subscribers, but the box office is accepting orders by telephone (313-576-5111).

You can now order tickets via the internet. You need to set up an account with the DSO but otherwise it works. Even on Safari and Opera for you Mac users.

I've got my tickets and now I just have to play the waiting game. I'm so bloody glad Williams is coming to Detroit. As i said in the other thread, I can stay there with my dad who lives close by. I noticed a couple other Torontonians who are making the trek down. It's not a really long drive, about 3-4 hours depending on the border traffic (Sarnia is actually faster than going through Windsor believe it or not). When Williams came to Pittsburgh in 2003, that was a 6 hour drive but worth every minute as I had a chance to meet him after the concert.

Does anyone know what is on the programme for that evening?

Dave

Guys, don't miss John Corigliano's Symphony No.3 "CIRCUS MAXIMUS" that will be performed in april, conducted by Leonard Slatkin. This is a really BIG and AMAZING symphony.

Got my tickets! ROTFLMAO

Row O center of the hall. I usually like sitting closer for sound and atmosphere, but John Williams has seen me so many times in Boston I don't want him to think I'm "stalking" him. LOL.

Just ordered tickets!!! My parents decided they wanted to come along with my brother and me, which means a free concert for me, so they're more than welcome. We got the last four seats in front row of the balcony...should be a great view! I always enjoy viewing performances from above, so you can see the full orchestra. Anyway, woot...can't believe it's still almost 8 months away, though!

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah, 8 months from now seems like a really long time.

I hope JW stays healthy and sharp as always!! ;)

I'm very interested to see what the program consists of. They probably won't announce it until next year.

Good to hear that everyone had no problem acquiring tickets!

I was just worried that this event would get sold out (or pretty close) because I thought that this would be a big event in Detroit. From the seating chart so far, it looks like a lot more people prefer Yo Yo Ma over Williams.

Yo Yo Ma is excellent, but I thought that Williams would be more popular.....guess not.

.....or it's just the sad fact that many people either don't recognize his name or film music is not respected in this state, as I have commented before. :(

• 6 months later...

It's getting closer so I figure I'd bump this thread.

Looking forward to seeing the program as I am going to this one rather than Boston.