El Cid

BLUMENKOHL

I just got done watching the movie again. Last time I saw it was 15 years ago. And now I'm listening to both the original and rerecording.

I'm curious as to what JWFan thinks of this score. Personally I think it's the pinnacle of the Golden Age's romantic composers, and the most gracefully aged non-Jazzy score from 1920 to 1960.

The Overture to me has always been the best overture/main title music in any film score, even mopping the floor with the Star Wars Main Titles and Star Trek The Motion Picture Main Titles. The prelude is also marvelous and so is the rest of the score pretty much, both in film and on album. The action is bombastic but not over the top, and the more romantic material is tender without ever becoming sappy or sentimental, and these are things which to me usually come across as signs of a masterpiece. Walking that tight rope is a difficult one.

I'd easily put this baby in my top 5 scores of all time any day of the week.

Thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant score and I love Sedares' re-recording. The overture, as you said, is one of the best ever. The zorro-like theme, heard in the prologue, and the love theme are also standouts.

I've never seen the movie, so I have some trouble connecting the themes to their subjects, but the score itself is a true masterpiece, with a sort of ingenuity on its aproach you seldom find in recent scores (something I admired Poledouris a lot for).

It's my favourite of all the "Golden Age" scores.The love theme seems to have inspired those of Williams(Han Solo and the Princess,Marion's Theme...)

The original recording I have only has 11 tracks,is there somekind of more complete edition?

Funny thing is apart from Ben Hur and El Cid,I haven't heard anything else from Rosza I really like.

K.M.

'Sodom and Gomorrah' has a gorgeous love theme on par with the Cid's. The 'Rebecca' theme from 'Ivanhoe' is uber-romantic as well, with this slight jewish-medieval flavour.

'Plymouth Adventure' has 'The Mayflower' cue which should be able to shame every swashbuckling cue Williams ever wrote :rolleyes:

But yes, 'El Cid' is a real keeper. Let's hope they re-record the score in it's entirety. If there's anything which fuels my enthusiasm for film music these days, it's projects like this.