Horn Concerto in Milano

TownerFan

Last Sunday I had the privilege to hear a live performance of John Williams' Concerto for Horn and Orchestra. It was performed by the local symphony orchestra (the "Giuseppe Verdi" Milano Symphony Orchestra, a very good ensemble), led by conductor Claus Peter Flor and with Radovan Vlatkovic as the soloist. It was a beautiful and moving performance. Hearing it performed live really opened a whole new perception of this masterful work, which I already knew and liked, but still wasn't much studied on my part. I think it's now my all-time favourite Williams' concert piece, along with the Violin Concerto.

I was really raptured by the haunting atmosphere of the piece during the performance. I was particularly excited and moved especially by the last two movements ("The Hunt" and "Nocturne"). The orchestra and the soloist really gave a heart-rending reading and the conductor was really apt in keeping the general tone very measured and well-balanced. During the final movement I got shivers down my spines... it's beautiful how Williams captured the melancholic and wistful sensation of a day that fades away. I think this work really shows the wistful, contemplative side of the Maestro, a side that's probably very near to his heart.

Let's hope Williams will produce soon a recording of this work. It really deserves to be keeped in some discographic form.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His cello concerto was the first and last Williams concert piece I've listened to thus far. Left a sour taste in my mouth, unfortunately, and I'm sad to say that I haven't touched any of his other (probably superior) concert works. I should change that. Someday. :)

His cello concerto was the first and last Williams concert piece I've listened to thus far. Left a sour taste in my mouth, unfortunately, and I'm sad to say that I haven't touched any of his other (probably superior) concert works. I should change that. Someday. :)

I'm afraid that I have to disagree to the full extent with you. I do believe the Cello Concerto is Williams finest, and is surelly one of his own favorites.

The Horn Concerto is a more accecible work, I would say, but at any rate, a wonderful piece, to wich I connect one several levels -- the poetic excerpts that inspired Williams are pure magic.

The Fanfare for a Festive Ocasion was recorded by Bay Brass, for an upcoming release.

The Cello Concerto is a great piece, although it's probably one of Williams' most intellectual works. The Violin and Tuba concerti instead are more accessible and lyrical, so maybe it's better to start with those if you aren't accustomed to JW's concert writing.

The Cello Concerto is a great piece, although it's probably one of Williams' most intellectual works.

I would call the Cello Concerto a chamber piece for large orchestra.

I can understand what you mean, and in a way is Williams best crafted work.

The Violin and Tuba concerti instead are more accessible and lyrical, so maybe it's better to start with those if you aren't accustomed to JW's concert writing.

I do find the Cello Concerto very lyrical -- the final movement, "Song" is one of Williams most gorgeus pieces.

But the others, being as more accessible as they are, are the better picks for a newcomer.

I would also recomend for starters the Bassoon Concerto and the Trumpet Concerto.