Star Wars Complete Theme Index

Desplat13

Hello, my name is Colin Thomson. I have been reading these boards for a while, and I finally decided to join. Just in case anyone is interested, my reviews blog is: http://soundtracksreviewed.blogspot.com/ Not much there, but hope to be adding, and maybe make it a real website some day. Anyway, about this topic:

I thought it would be interesting to have a directory of themes in Star Wars, both old and new. Other members are much more qualified than I to make this list, so I submit it to you, and from it I can make a compilation post later. Hopefully we can make it complete, and it will be helpful for those of us (like me) who hardly ever watch the movies, but listen to the scores all the time, and would like to know the names of the less known themes, and what they represent. You can post what you consider to the be 'definitive' statement, or your favorite, or whatever, but make it clear. For instance:

Force Theme: Album: A New Hope; Track: The Throne Room/End Title; Time: 0:17-0:48 (Most noble statement)

Colin Thomson

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well; I'll try to help you; however you can find a list of Star Wars theme on the wikipedia (Star Wars music article). But first of all, let's make one thing clear: a theme or leitmotif is melodic/rithmic pattern (a complete melody or just a short motif) which represents a specific character or situation, and it appears several times. Not every single melody is a theme!!!!

Ok, let's go.

Themes created for Star Wars/Episode IV, A New Hope

-Luke's Theme/Main theme: represents Luke and more broadly, the adventure and excitement of Star Wars. Appears in all episodes, and the most obvious statement is the Main Title of course.

-Rebel's Fanfare: Represents the rebelion, the rebels and the adventure again. Appears in episodes III-VI, and in the end credits of all films. A great statement.... Episode IV Special Edition, CD2, track 4 ("The Death Star") or track 9 (TIE fighter attack).

-The Force Theme/Ben Kenobi's Theme. The most prominent theme in all episodes, represents the Force, the Jedi, and sometimes it also seems to represent the fate (in the prequels). Episode IV, Binary Sunset.

-Princess Leia's Theme. Appears in episodes III-VI. Episode IV, CD 1,track 6 (The Hologram).

-Imperial Theme/Darth Vader's theme. This is a short theme which appears ONLY in episode IV, as it was replaced by the Imperial March in all the following episodes. Appears in the last section of Imperial Attack (Episode IV, CD1, track 3)

-Death Star Motif: a four brass chord motif, heard when the Death Star is seen. Appears in the last seconds of Ep.IV CD1, Track 8, for example. This motif only appears in episodes IV and VI.

These are all the major themes of Episode IV, I think. I will go on later with the other episodes.

But first of all, let's make one thing clear: a theme or leitmotif is melodic/rithmic pattern (a complete melody or just a short motif) which represents a specific character or situation, and it appears several times. Not every single melody is a theme!!!!

Don't worry, I know my musical terms :P And thanks for that wiki link, I hadn't seen that before. Very helpful, although aren't there more than that?

Colin Thomson

The wikipedia info was pretty good, except for the "minor motif" section, wich is a mess.

Ok, Le'ts go on.

Episode V: Empire

Luke's, Rebels', The Force's and Princess Leia's theme are back.

New themes.

-Imperial March/Darth Vader's Theme: replaces the old Imperial Theme and appears in all the movies except IV (Williams said long ago that he would like to re-score certain scenes from that movie to include the Imperial March).

-Yoda's Theme. Appears in episodes V-VI and I-III.

-Han and Leia's Love Theme (sometimes known as Han's Theme, although I don't think that is correct) represents the relationship between Han and Leia. It does not replace Leia's theme. Best statements: Empire SE, CD1 Track 9 (I think, I don't have time to check it). And a lot more. It appears in episodes V and VI.

-The droids motif. A short motif used only in this movie. Appears in CD1, Track 2 (after the Han and Leia's theme presentation) for example.

-Boba Fett's motif. It is the beginning of CD2 Track 3, that basson solo, and only appears in this episode. The coincidences between certain chord progression of a later scene with Attack of the Clones is just coincidence, IMO.

-Cloud City March, or whaterver you call it, appears three times, when the group is walking through the city. Track 6 of CD2. Only for this episode

(I think Episode V is the most clear example of differences between melodic themes (the first three, which are used in more episodes) and just short motifs created for just one episode).

Episode VI: Jedi.

Returning themes: Luke, The Force, Rebels, Leia, Han and Leia, Imperial March/Vader and Yoda. No more, no less.

New themes.

-The Emperor's theme (aka the Dark Side Theme). Appears at the beginning of Track 8 CD1 of Jedi SE, or in CD2 Track 4 (I always loved that). Represents the Emperor. It is used in all the prequels, representing the Dark Side of Anakin (the confession scene of Clones) and Darth Sidious, but curiously, in Revenge of the Sith, the theme is only used with Palpatine once Anakin finds out that he is the Sith lord.

-Jabba's theme. Appears in Tracks 4 and 5 of CD1, a grotesque tuba-based melody. Also appears in episode IV (tracked in the new scene with Jabba) and in Episode I, when Jabba appears.

-Luke and Leia's theme. Only appears in this episode, representing this new relationship. Only used three times and in the credits.

-The Ewok's theme. Only in this episode.

I will go on with the prequels tomorrow. That is more complicated.

I forgot something in Episode IV. The melody ot the "throne room", at the end of the movie. It was not originally a theme, but it was re-used in episode VI (in "hyperspace" and the end credits), and again in the end credits of Episode III. So we could say it is a theme, but it wasn't in the original conception. Something similar happens in the prequels.

Well, the prequels present much more problems. Partially, because Williams worked backwards, integrating the old themes and creating new themes that could not be used in episodes IV-VI (because they were already made, am I making any sense?)

So.... Episode I

Returning themes: Luke's theme, Rebels theme (only in the end credits), The Force theme, Imperial March, Yoda's theme, Jabba's theme and the Emperor. Some of these themes only have "cameo" appearences.

New themes. They don't always represent a particular character (for example, there is no theme representing Obi-Wan Kenobi, since his original theme was the Force theme)

-Anakin's Theme. The most prominent new theme, ending with the first notes of Vader's theme.

-Duel of the Fates. This theme (the first theme with a "title") does not represent any character, but is used in all three prequels as a climatic theme, appearing in the duels with Darth Maul, Yoda and the Emperor, and when Anakin is searching for his mother, amongst others.

-Trade Federation theme . The third big theme of this episode, represents the droid army of the Federation, actually, not the federation itself. Appears in Track 7 of CD1, Ultimate Edition.

-Jar-Jar's theme. This theme, not very melodic actually, only appears in this episode. On the Original sountrack track 4 I think, and Track 17 from CD1 UE. Only appears three times on the movie (one of them a disguised variation)

-Qui-Gonn's theme: a noble theme for the Jedi master, which is not much used. CD2 Track 1

-Funeral theme: again, the same problem. It is not actually a theme at this point, but since it is re-used in episode III, this could be considered a "funeral" theme.

-Shmi's theme: Same thing. Different melodies are used in the scenes involving her, but none of them is a theme, actually. However, the oboe melody heard when Anakin is leaving (Track 1 CD2) is used again in Episode II, and I guess it makes that melody a theme.

Episode II.

Returning themes: Luke, Rebels, The Force, IMperial March, Yoda, The Emperor, Anakin, Duel of the Fates, Trade Federation and Shmi.

New themes

-Across the Stars. This is the only BIG new theme, which represents of course the love between Anakin and Padmé.

-Dies Irae. John Williams uses variations on this gregorian melody in a lot of his scores (most prominently Clouse Encounters and Jurassic Park), and in this episode it appears in several moments, particularly in the concession theme (which is unreleased). It appears again in Episode III (in a variation), integrated in the "lament" (or "Anakin's Betrayal). You could say this is a theme, or just a melodic idea used in different moments. Actually, the characteristic of this melody (descending thirds) is very characteristic of Williams himself.

-Conflic theme. Represents the galactic conflict in general, the crisis of the Republic and only appears in this episode.Last section of Track 10 of the original soundtrack.

-Mistery motif: this would be the ascending and descending six-note motif, which appears in the second half of Track 8 (also appears in Minority Report and so on... but so does shmi's theme).

And Episode III: is ironic that this soundtarck was critisized because the lack of themes, but actually, this episode has more themes than any other episode.

Returning themes: Luke, Rebels, Force, Princess Leia, Throne Room, Imperial March, Yoda, The Emperor, Anakin, Duel of the Fates, Federation, Funeral theme, Across the Stars and the Dies Irae variation.

And only two new themes:

-Battle of the Heroes. Snippets of the theme appear through the episode (most notably when Anakin cuts Windu's hand and when Yoda and Kenobi enter the Jedi temple, at the end of Track 10 (before the Force theme and Emperor's theme statements), but is most notably used in the final duel. Again, it does not represent any character, but a sense of tragedy or fate....

-General Grievous theme. Beginning of Track 13, is used three times in the episode.

I think this is all. I hope it was helpful.You may ask if you have any question or want more info.

Nice. Thanks, Oierem. I actually really know the themes well, and recognize them and appreciate them musically. I just have a hard time knowing what-all they represent. Thanks for all the work of putting that together. I will be going through and figuring out what all these themes actually represent. Any questions, will ask. Once again, thanks.

Colin Thomson

That short basoon solo for Boba Fett.I'm always on the fence calling that a motif.Maybe it's that funeral march like theme in Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's trap/Departure of Boba Fett

-Dies Irae. John Williams uses variations on this gregorian melody in a lot of his scores (most prominently Clouse Encounters and Jurassic Park), and in this episode it appears in several moments, particularly in the concession theme (which is unreleased). It appears again in Episode III (in a variation), integrated in the "lament" (or "Anakin's Betrayal). You could say this is a theme, or just a melodic idea used in different moments. Actually, the characteristic of this melody (descending thirds) is very characteristic of Williams himself.

Do you have a track # and time for this one? I'm curious to hear it in the score.

Do you have a track # and time for this one? I'm curious to hear it in the score.

Me too.

Colin Thomson

The confession scene from Attack of the Clones is unreleased (when Anakin says that he killed the tusken raiders). F E F D G E F D are the notes. You can hear similar variations on this motif in Jurassic Park Track 3 (the last section).

A variation of that motif is the one in "Palpatine's Teachings" of Episode III, although it is not exactly the same. I don't recall the motif in any track of the ost.

I don't want to knock what you guys are doing, because I think it's fun, but I think that the task you are trying to accomplish is practically impossible, at least if you are trying to make it seamless (of course, maybe you do not care if it is seamless). Using labels such as "Rebel Fanfare" and "Throne Room Melody" will get you into trouble, as you know...what the hell is the Rebel theme doing there in Ep III when R2 kicks butt, right?

Anyway, my point is that you are on a neverending journey using quantitative subjects like people as category names. These themes are based on emotions, not people. That's why we hear Princess Leia's theme when Kenobi dies or Luke Skywalker's theme during the Battle of Geonosis. If you can find a good way to label these themes with emotions, you'll have more success in your quest. If you use names like "Imperial March" you're going to run into trouble.

Well, one could name the themes by what they were used for in the first score they appeared in.

Except for Ben's Theme, which really became the Force theme halfway through ESB.

The use of Leia's theme at Ben's death will always be one of the notable exceptions. But I think the fact that there is an elaborate concert suite named Leia's Theme justifies the use of that name.

The leitmotif technique, which Williams uses, is an asociation of a musical idea with an extra-musical idea. Themes represent characters, situations, emotions or places. I think it is obvious that Williams uses this technique in lots of his films. The themes are meant to represent specific characters. Of course, sometimes happens that the themes is used someplace else, where it does not represent the character. That is done just for dramatic purposes. But in 90% of the cases, each theme represents a character.

For example, the rebel theme (which should be called otherwise, since it does not represent the Rebel Aliance) is used as a cameo appearence in Episode III; just a fun hint of what will come. It is not used for "dramatic purposes". And Luke's theme in Battle of Geonosis: well, first of all, the music was tracked, and secondly, Luke's theme doubles as the Star Wars theme, the theme which represents the adventurous spirit of the series. That's why it was used in Episode I in certain action scenes (and tracked into Episode II). But OBVIOUSLY, it is Luke's theme.

Btw, it's not us who uses this specific names, it's John Williams.

And Luke's theme in Battle of Geonosis: well, first of all, the music was tracked, and secondly, Luke's theme doubles as the Star Wars theme, the theme which represents the adventurous spirit of the series. That's why it was used in Episode I in certain action scenes (and tracked into Episode II). But OBVIOUSLY, it is Luke's theme.

In the case of Episode I, I think Luke's theme was written into the first action bit of the movie (the droids attack) as a "we're back in action" kind of nod to the audience. Not that this contradicts what oierem says.

It's played again at some later point in the movie. I think it has the same use.

And Luke's theme in Battle of Geonosis: well, first of all, the music was tracked, and secondly, Luke's theme doubles as the Star Wars theme, the theme which represents the adventurous spirit of the series. That's why it was used in Episode I in certain action scenes (and tracked into Episode II). But OBVIOUSLY, it is Luke's theme.

In the case of Episode I, I think Luke's theme was written into the first action bit of the movie (the droids attack) as a "we're back in action" kind of nod to the audience. Not that this contradicts what oierem says.

I agree. It's pretty obvious just from the scene itself.