WTF?! Narnia TLTWTW?!

I probably will buy non Maestro stuff in the future, but it will be after he croaks. I haven't heard a good, new, non JW score in a long time.

Ah, but there are multitudes of magnificent old non JW scores out there.

Indeed.

The last good one I enjoyed was LOTR.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Return of the King was the last truly great non-Williams score.

Ah, so there are some things we disagree on. :lol:

Seriously though.

At the moment yes, although I don't see that being topped anytime soon.

Ah, so there are some things we disagree on. :lol:

Seriously though.

Well, I suppose it had to happen eventually. Just out of curiosty, what would be your pick in that category? Something JNH?

Just out of curiosty, what would be your pick in that category? Something JNH?

Yeah, mostly (no surprise, I guess). From the last few years, I'd say that JNH's Water Horse, Lady in the Water, and The Village are pretty great, as well as Powell's X-Men: The Last Stand and probably a few others. And by "great" I don't necessarily mean "masterpiece," just very good or excellent.

On that note, I don't know as though I've ever seen you make reference to anything by JNH. Are you unfamiliar with his scores, or are you just underwhelmed by what you've heard?

Heh, well you've called me out there. I just haven't gotten familiar with him. I've only seen random bits here and there of Shamalyan movies and haven't heard any of his CDs. I was really interested in his Peter Pan (and in seeing the movie) but just...never got around to it. A time and money thing mostly. As I'm sure it's obvious by now Giacchino is my favorite of the younger crowd.

I've never understood people's fixation with Peter Pan. Sure, it's a nice score and works great in the film, but IMO it's hardly the best showcase for his talents. In fact, I didn't like it much before I saw the film, and realised how appropriate all the over the top and mickey mouse parts were for the tone of the movie.

I probably will buy non Maestro stuff in the future, but it will be after he croaks. I haven't heard a good, new, non JW score in a long time.

Just what is it then, that makes a score 'good' for you?

I never got on with Powell's X-MEN. Maybe it's because I loved Ottman's X2 so much, but it never clicked with me. In terms of JNH, I love KONG. And his work on BATMAN BEGINS.

Ottman's score is boring and bland.

I wouldn't say it's completely boring. There are a few cues that are pretty good, but bland...yes I do agree with that. I can listen to Superman Returns more often than X-2.

Ottman's score is boring and bland.

Almost completely agreed.

I think the main theme also lacks originality to an almost irritating level - what happened to the guy who wrote the Usual Suspects themes?

Powell's X-Men: The Last Stand is probably the best superhero score in quite a while. I mean, since the previous Batman series.