Leaving hogwarts vs. Leaving hogwarts

King Mark

Leaving Hogwarts vs Leaving Hogwarts.  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• The bittersweet relatively subdued finale of HP and the Sorcerer"s Stone
    • The triumphant,exubeherant hyperdriven finale of CoS.

Ok,so this is my "new" thinking about the CoS album after a few days absence.The frirst 42 minutes are DEFINATELY all Williams(ending with Fawques is Reborn),then the score goes on for about 20 minutes where it s mostly recycled HP and Sorcerers Stone material,where i may suspect Ross has done some adapting there.But the final cue is i am 99.9% that williams re tolled himself his leaving Hogwarts cue from the first movie,so choose which you like best.

K.M.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post a reply after I see the film. To me, the ending of Harry Potter is very emotional. When Hagrid gives Harry the photo of his parents, I get all choked up. Until I see the film, my answer will be skewed.

Neil

OK.

well leaving hogwarts and the reunion of friends are different pieces with leaving hogwarts IN reunion of friends.

I think that the ending of COS is very nice and it definitely is very triupmphant. When listening to it, parts gave me goosebumps and were very stirring. But then it just went away. There was something missing about Reunion of friends. Maybe I need to see it on the big screen before i get the full effect.

my heart still lies with Leaving Hogwarts from PS. No matter how many times I listen to it, I still get goosebumps all the way through to the end and i think it's just perfect reflecting time in the score.

Its not clear to me this is a Williams arrangement. Certainly no grounds for 99.9% certainty unless somebody has some inside info. If it is Williams, this was a rush job - probabably him coming in after the fact as apparently happened with at least some of the music. With more time, the ending would have warrented its own piece of orignal music, perhaps using the familiar themes. But why use the almost exact structure of the original unless its Ross, who needs the help and used that approach elsewhere, or Williams coming in late and being forced to hurry something?

It will be more clear when the movie comes out and we can observe how the music interacts with the visuals. At this point, I think it was Ross.

It would be unprecedented for Williams to use the same structure as the first while changing the emotional thrust so dramatically (again, unless he came in after the fact and had to hurry which is quite possible). If the second HP movie needed a more bombastic ending, its distracting to use the same piece of music from the first with such big changes in its character - the drawn out prhases to make the timing match and the sudden burst of brass when you're expecting something else. It seems like the kind of thing a lesser composer hired to adapt the music would do.

Only Williams can make an orchestra semmingly swell forever like this.Never heard this type of writing from another composer.It's one of his trademarks.Listen to "flight and technology" from The Unfinished Journey. :angry:

K.M.

I've finally decided that i like the COS ost better than SS. I really don't care for certain cues on the first cd such as Hogwarts Forever and Fluffy's Harp.