Batman Begins 3

ChuckM

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman Begins is probably the better film, technically. It features a much more coherent plot. The Dark Knight gets standing ovations on account of Heath Ledger...without him, the project wouldn't have been nearly as successful. (Not at all trying to say there's anything wrong with appreciating his role in the film...he did an outstanding job.)

But I still prefer Gyllenhaal. I understand she can be a little grating at times - it's her voice breaking that bothers me, not the nasality - but still, there was just something about Katie Holmes that didn't do it for me. Didn't feel real enough. (And I have watched both films quite recently, back-to-back, Koray.)

Batman Begins is probably the better film, technically. It features a much more coherent plot.

Yeah that's what I meant. More focused characters, etc.

But I still prefer Gyllenhaal. I understand she can be a little grating at times - it's her voice breaking that bothers me, not the nasality - but still, there was just something about Katie Holmes that didn't do it for me. Didn't feel real enough. (And I have watched both films quite recently, back-to-back, Koray.)

That's fine. It's your opinion.

So the Riddler sucks WRT Joker. That's as much a fault of comic book writing as it is the terrible part they gave to Jim Carrey ten years ago or so, which perverts our perception of this character. I am confident that if Nolan had The Riddler strap bombs to his victims with riddles that Batman had to solve in a time limit, that would be pretty damn interesting. Die Hard 3 had such riddles and they were pretty frikkin' cool. Batman only has a handful of "iconic" villains that the general public would want to see money to see, unless you got a great actor to shed light on the more obscure ones. Ledger's death should not sentence every remaining quality Batman villain -- Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Ventriloquist -- to the dump heap simply because they can't stack up to a psychotic man in sloppy clown makeup. Because it sounds like you want a villain but also want him to be as good as Ledger's Joker, unless you just want the character of Joker brought back. Ledger's death should not make that an impossibility for the sake of the story; it's not the studio's fault he OD'd.

But Dengar is not a quality villain within the Star Wars universe. He is a minor character, and really does nothing for Darth Vader. He stands there with six other bounty hunters as Darth Vader tells them to find the Falcon. Bad guy, yes, but no more a "villain" than the third stormtrooper from the left in any scene with more than three stormtroopers. Boba Fett speaks, tracks down Han Solo, and takes Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt. We know that from the movie. While Boba Fett doesn't even have a name in that movie, he's a villain, not Dengar. By this point Dengar has done nothing but take up space and inspire kids to buy action figures and comic books to learn more about his life. And then Lucas has suckered you into buying something else.