Why wasn't "Anakin's Theme" used more in AotC and RotS?

indy4

I think Williams discarded Anakin's theme as it is connected to the innocent boy. In the next episodes Anakin has grown into a young man and that childish innocence and optimism is pretty much discarded. Williams' references to the theme in the other two films certainly reinforce this idea of Anakin's theme being a theme for Anakin's childhood as the only time it is used is when Anakin's childhood is brought up either by Padme in the beginning Episode II or by the memory of the Jappor snippet in the Episode III.

Of course it can be wondered why Williams, the master of thematic development, did not darken Anakin's theme little by little and then finally turn it into Imperial March. And there can be many reasons. The directorial orders from Lucas and the shape of the film they were making (Lucas wanted Episode II to be different and Episode III just wasn't happy go lucky adventure film), the lack of inspiration from the film, some general idea that Anakin's theme would be too bright and unfitting for the troubled young man etc. And no matter how beautiful the theme is there is no place for it in the Episodes II and III that both are about something darker than youthful adventure and optimism. Many consider this a missed opporturnity and I agree to a certain degree.

You couldn't have said better than this. Congrats!

Have to agree. As its been said 'Anakin's Theme' represents little naive Anakin growing up in such a difficult life but still remaining to be so happy and care-free. In AotC and RotS Anakin is not exactly the definition of happy and care-free.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But obviously Williams put the Imperial March into it, even at that early stage. It was 'built-in', so to speak I don't understand why the childish side of the theme couldn't have disapeared as it did from the character, and the Darth Vader side taken precedence as it did in the character of Anakin.

Across the Stars is still played in RotS, even when Padme and Anakin's love is crumbling.

What I would have liked is a tragic and sorrowful take on Anakin's Theme, just to reflect and really see the wide scope of Anakin's transformation, from an innocent kid to an evil dictator.

I still think that re-recording of the ESB "Clash of the Light Sabers " music was not meant for the Yoda-Sidious duel ,but for some deleted scene where Anakin must have been force throwing stuff at Obi Wan.

I thought all the deleted scenes were released on the DVD?

If I go by how many deleted scenes from TPM and AotC that were kept in the novels, I would say we didn't get many of the deleted scenes, just the major ones (personally, I think if they do TPM 10th Anniversary there should be three discs - the third contains the original film edit, then they should do the same with AotC and RotS)

I still think that re-recording of the ESB "Clash of the Light Sabers " music was not meant for the Yoda-Sidious duel ,but for some deleted scene where Anakin must have been force throwing stuff at Obi Wan.

I thought all the deleted scenes were released on the DVD?

If I go by how many deleted scenes from TPM and AotC that were kept in the novels, I would say we didn't get many of the deleted scenes, just the major ones (personally, I think if they do TPM 10th Anniversary there should be three discs - the third contains the original film edit, then they should do the same with AotC and RotS)

The novelisations are not to be taken by heart regarding Deleted scenes. The scripts are more better source (though that doesnt meant all scenes got shot). This particular scene is on the ROTS script by the way.

There are still unreleased deleted scenes:

For example, Qui-gon lecturing Obi wan about caring more about his lightsaber after the STAP fight just after landing on naboo.

Or the Hypersapce exclusive attack on the Droid control ship from AOTC (its unfinished material-no SFX mostly).