Film Composers In Their Primes

Ray Barnsbury

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell is churning out as much as Zimmer, and each score is awesome. Better? He does both quantity and quality. He is in his prime. It's unfortunate the Academy would never nominate him for anything.

People once thought that about Danny Elfman. Powell will get his chance.

I dunno, isn't John Williams determined to never have Sugarland Express completely released?

According to Doug Fake at Intrada, yes. Williams has requested that it not be released, he felt the theme on various compilations represented the score enough (or something similar to that).

Which is a shame because this is an important score in Williams' career. It's his first score for a Spielberg film.

FWIW, the composer is the only one who can submit an application to get nominated for an Oscar.

The studio does help when it comes to marketing and advertising though (ads in Variety, Hollywood Reporter, etc.)

Hellgi

• 3 weeks later...
I'd say that Williams is past his peak years, which isn't to say that he hasn't written some great scores recently. It's just hard to top his amazing run of consistently top-notch output of the late 70's and 80's. Horner definitely isn't what he used to be, which seems to be opinion of the vast majority. I agree with Indy4 that Elfman's best score is still Edward Scissorhands[/i], but I've been impressed with several of his recent scores (Big Fish, Corpse Bride, Charlotte's Web) and wouldn't say he's in a decline. And it's interesting to see that so many people see JNH as being at the top of his game. His scores do tend to fluctuate between the outstanding (Signs, The Village) and less noteworthy (The Lookout, Michael Clayton), but when he's good he's still certainly as good as ever. And I'm also looking forward to hearing Giacchino continue to reach new heights.

Elfman did not hit his peak Edward Scissorhands. He also scored Batman Returns, Nightmare B4 Xmas, Sommersby, Black Beauty, Dolores Claiborne, Mission Impossible, Mars Attacks, Men in Black, A Simple Plan, Sleepy Hollow and i think those rival Scissorhands. I agree about his recent scores. I've been really impressed with the scores he's been doing this decade. He's really been evolving. I can't wait for his Milk score.

I agree with Horner he probably hit his peak with "The Rocketeer" one of the best superhero/ comic book scores ever.

i agree with Giacchino he's getting better and better. B4 you know it he'll have an oscar or two. He's definitely the next best thing in film music.

What about Ottman ? You think he reached his peak ? I don't. You guys might get p--sed at me but I can't wait for his Valkyrie score.

I'd say that Williams is past his peak years, which isn't to say that he hasn't written some great scores recently. It's just hard to top his amazing run of consistently top-notch output of the late 70's and 80's. Horner definitely isn't what he used to be, which seems to be opinion of the vast majority. I agree with Indy4 that Elfman's best score is still Edward Scissorhands[/i], but I've been impressed with several of his recent scores (Big Fish, Corpse Bride, Charlotte's Web) and wouldn't say he's in a decline. And it's interesting to see that so many people see JNH as being at the top of his game. His scores do tend to fluctuate between the outstanding (Signs, The Village) and less noteworthy (The Lookout, Michael Clayton), but when he's good he's still certainly as good as ever. And I'm also looking forward to hearing Giacchino continue to reach new heights.

Elfman did not hit his peak Edward Scissorhands. He also scored Batman Returns, Nightmare B4 Xmas, Sommersby, Black Beauty, Dolores Claiborne, Mission Impossible, Mars Attacks, Men in Black, A Simple Plan, Sleepy Hollow and i think those rival Scissorhands. I agree about his recent scores. I've been really impressed with the scores he's been doing this decade. He's really been evolving. I can't wait for his Milk score.

I agree with Horner he probably hit his peak with "The Rocketeer" one of the best superhero/ comic book scores ever.

i agree with Giacchino he's getting better and better. B4 you know it he'll have an oscar or two. He's definitely the next best thing in film music.

What about Ottman ? You think he reached his peak ? I don't. You guys might get p--sed at me but I can't wait for his Valkyrie score.