Chamber of the Philosopher's Stone

King Mark

I made a one c.d. album using cues from P.S. and CoS.Both c.d's drag a little when played on their own,so I thought I would re-unite the best thematic material on one cd in a logical progression. I tied to avoid the overlap of the same material in both scores.The result flows quite well. :devil: .

here's what I came up with:

1-Hedwig's Theme(placed here as a more complete "prologue" for both scores).

2-Fawkes the Phoenix.

3-The Flying Car(sort of like Journey to Howarts but better)

4-Knockburn Alley(has the Diagon Alley motif+ a nice rendition of Harry's theme)

5-Entry into the Great Hall and The Banquet(cover better the "Introducing Collin" material,the original ghost music and the Hogwarts theme)

6-Gilderoy Lockheart

7-Mr Longbottom Flies(covers more extensively the flying music featured in "Prologue and Escape from the Dursleys")

8-Dobby the House Elf

9-The Norwidgian Ridgeback and a Change of Seasons(a theme for the baby dragon followed by a nice rendition of the family theme)

10-Christmas at Hogwarts(3 distinct motifs including one sung,all different from any other cues both in PS and CoS)

11-Hogwarts Forever and The Moving Stairs(includes the Hogwarts motif and the stone or danger motif)

12-Moaning Myrtle(the cue that develops the ghost music in #5)

13-The Chamber of Secrets(sets a darker tone here)

14-Fawkes is Reborn

15-Meeting Tom Riddle(has a great workout of the stone motif)

16-Cakes for Crabbe and Goyle(covers the main material in the rather dragging "Polyjuice Potion",mainly the broom flying motif used a sneaking around music,and the end is cool and sounds like the "Map Room" cue in Raiders)

17-The Chess Game(I figure I'd put a action cue here,this is a good one)

18-The Face of Voldemort(Voldemort appears around here in both movies,and the unreleased cue in CoS is similar)

19-Duelling the Basilisk

20-Reunion of Friends

21-Harry' Wondrous World(as recorded for CoS)

K.M.,bored.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A friend at college asked me for a compilation. Here's what I gave him:

1.- Harry's Wondrous World (COS version)

2.- Fawkes the Phoenix

3.- The Chamber of Secrets

4.- Prologue: Book II / Escape from the Dursleys

5.- Knockturn Alley (intended Diagon Alley but cut for lenght reasons)

6.- The Flying Car

7.- Introducing Colin (inteded Entry into the Big Hall but cut for lenght reasons)

8.- Mr Longbottom Flies!

9.- The Polyjuice Potion

10.- The Duelling Club

11.- The Quiddtich Match

12.- Baby Dragon / A Change of Seasons

13.- Fawkes Reborn

14.- The Invisibility Cloak

15.- Meeting Tom Riddle

16.- The Chess Game

17.- The Face of Lord Voldemort

18.- Reunion of Friends

19.- End Credits (Hedwig's Theme)

I'll have his opinion by Monday. :)

-ROSS, who wrote a long post detailing why he chose each track and it got deleted :angry:

Cool Ross,make a copy for yourself.As far as I'm concerned,I listen to what I did above for HP music in the car.I like your choice of cue too,the only thing is I think "Cakes for Crabbes and Goyle" covers better the material in "Polyjuice Potion".I also had no room to put "The Quiddish Match",because the Minidisk I used had the TOC data a bit screwed up.

I' d also find it very interesting to know why you chose those cues(similar to mine i notice),and why in that order.

K.M.

both movie are essentially the same,with a lot of scenes basically interchangeable,especially in the first half before the main plot.

K.M.

When I made this CD for my friend, I was constantly thinking of what he would think of when listening to the music. You see, he's into other kind of music and he wants this score to relive the movies. So that's what I've gotten for him:

1.- Harry's Wondrous World (COS version)

Works as some sort of introduction, as an overture, introducing all the themes. Besides, when he puts the CD into the CD player and the famous opening blows him away, I will have 100% of his attention.

2.- Fawkes the Phoenix

The introduction of themes continues.

3.- The Chamber of Secrets

And the final theme. I hesitated before adding this one because it doesn't appear in the rest of the CD, I believe, so it has no musical connection with the rest of the score. But it's so good, and it will help my friend to identify tunes with characters.

4.- Prologue: Book II / Escape from the Dursleys

And so the story begins. By now, Fawkes and Chamber have probably bored my friend, so this cue is perfect, as it reintroduces the famous themes he wants to listen to. Besides, it gives the musical story a beginning.

5.- Knockturn Alley (intended Diagon Alley but cut for lenght reasons)

I wanted to have Diagon Alley here because it introduced the Stone Motif, which was inteded to appear reccuringly all through the score. But it was far too long a track, so I had to go with the CoS version.

6.- The Flying Car

This was chosen to get the music a little bit shaken up, to add action to the story. Besides, the Flying Car scene is far more famous and memorable than the quiet train ride. That way, my friend can visualize the music.

7.- Introducing Colin (inteded Entry into the Big Hall but cut for lenght reasons)

Again, in order to keep the music into an 80-minute CD, I had to choose the shorter version. Which bummed me a lot, because "Colin" doesn't have the Teacher's Theme like "Big Hall", and so when it appears in the next track it feels like underscore, not thematic use of music. But the track keeps the Welcoming Fanfarres and has an exact feeling to the arrival at Hogwarts.

8.- Mr Longbottom Flies!

This marks the beginning of act two: "Things happen at Hogwarts". This develops this act's main theme, the flying theme. And especially, the main mood of the act: half action, half comedy with a lurking dark presence all through it.

9.- The Polyjuice Potion

KM, you're right. I should have gone for "Cakes for Crabbe and Goyle". But, alas, I didn't. I wanted a faster connection between tracks 8 and 9 through the flying theme, and it was only when the CD was done that i realised the "The Polyjuice Potion" doesn't have the Stone Motif. This bummed me big time because this would be its second appearance in the "score" and it didn't appear. I failed at introducing the lurkingly motif, simbolising the darkness in Hogwarts. It just appears a couple of times towards the end, and again, in feels like underscore. :(

10.- The Duelling Club

The quirky/serious/dangerous mood is developed here (and it introduces Gilderoys Lockhart's theme), dragging the score towards a darker path.

11.- The Quiddtich Match

Big. This is what I wanted it to be. So I put it here, breaking all rythm and tempo, just breaking in like the huge track it is. That way, there's a before-and-after feeling to this overlong act.

12.- Baby Dragon / A Change of Seasons

After such a huge, pulsating cue we need to wind down. And what best than Change of Seasons? It gives a sense of rutine, of more things going on in Hogwarts, with a tranquility feeling.

13.- Fawkes Reborn

After such a beautiful track as 12, we needed another beautiful track. And this was good, too. And I wanted to remind my friend that this beautiful theme existed.

14.- The Invisibility Cloak

Ooooh. Act III: Darkness. Harry supposedly discovers something dark in this track, using his Dad Invisibility Cloak. Also, this is the music that goes before the next track in the CoS movie, so it felt right to have it there.

15.- Meeting Tom Riddle

This was a good choice because the Stone Motif was played full-blown and the end, like the Dark Secret that has been there all through the score had finally been revealed. But in the end this turned out to be the introduction of the Stone Motif. Good track though.

16.- The Chess Game

Famous, identifiable scene. And heck of good music! It reintroduces Hedwig's Theme to the score, in the end, a theme that will be present until the end.

17.- The Face of Lord Voldemort

Well, we needed a confrontation, and I much rather this than "Duel with Basilisk" which wasn't as much fun to listen to. Besides, this was more thematic, something my friend will appreciate.

18.- Reunion of Friends

Well, who among you would have chosen "Leaving Hogwarts"? :)

19.- End Credits (Hedwig's Theme)

My friend's favorite themes in one heck of a track. Just to give my friend a nice after-taste of the score.

So that's it. :)

-ROSS, who hated not having the friggin Stone Motif appear recurringly! :angry:

These type of albums are the ones I tend to give out as samplers to friends.For some reason I am far more critical and picky about film music for this purpose.People just curious about it usually don't like the low key underscore much,and like the concert arrangements,more thematically structured cues,and the credit music.

K.M.