Williams in the News (archival)

Well, this is all via the Google News search. Maybe everyone already knows about this but I was bored tonight and started exploring Williams' history in the press.

In "The Empire Strikes Back" most of the "Star Wars" themes reappear, and they are as welcome as the faces of Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill (it is also a credit to the craftsmanship of [JOHN WILLIAMS] that these tunes can survive the working out they get here - no more than anyone else did he know there were going to be sequels when he wrote the first film); two marches are juxtaposed throughout, the noble, major "Star Wars" and a new, devious one associated with the evil Darth Vader and the Empire. Perhaps the most striking episode is a seven-minute sequence towards the end in which there is very little dialogue, and much action, and the weaving together of all the themes of the score tells the story almost all on its own. It is not the kind of music that tells you what to think (it's not that kind of picture); instead it tells you how to react. And in doing so with such assurance it demonstrates that John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra are perhaps this movie's most essential special effect.

Composer Williams Resigns 'Pops' Post

The Sound of Movie Music (1976)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I didn't know that was why Williams left the Pops...

He did not resign because of this. This is from 1984 remember. The incident is, I believe, the orchestra sneering at America the Dream Goes On at the rehearsal and the article suggests that there might have been some other troubles as well. But they worked it out obviously as JW continued his tenure for another 10 odd years.

Always makes me a little angry to think people would do that during a rehearsal of a John Williams piece, especially when he is standing right in front of them! So rude! All I can say is 'I would like to see them compose like he does'

Always makes me a little angry to think people would do that during a rehearsal of a John Williams piece, especially when he is standing right in front of them! So rude! All I can say is 'I would like to see them compose like he does'

This is not uncommon. Players would sometimes snicker or whistle at the composer/conductor if they find a piece to saccharine. It happened a lot in the Golden Age.

-Erik-