Henry Jackman's Gulliver's Travel's

David Coscina

So I listened to most of the samples from iTunes this morning and I liked what I heard a lot. The thing that is immediately striking is the lack of electronics or dense orchestration. Everything is very clear and acoustic sounding. I've noted that from Jackman's other offerings such as Kick Ass and Monsters vs Aliens. He seems very old school in this manner and I like his arranging. I remember smiling when I heard his theme from Kick Ass and could clearly make out that descending bassoon line amidst the 12/8 string figure (a la Superman) and brass flourishes.

I'm downloading the album as I type this as there appear to be some terrific cues especially the Biefuscian Armada track that is a little reminiscent of Powell's style but lighter and clearer. I hope Jackman continues to get more assignments as I feel he could do very well and give film score fans something to look forward to musically.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Jackman is under RC but his style is very dissimilar largely because he eschews electronics and doesn't double his orchestra with samples or synths- a welcome change! He's worth checking out. I haven't heard anything I didn't like from his thus far. He's British and was educated formally which doesn't hurt.

Welcome to the boards, David

Actually I just created a different account under my own name. My previous account was Fiery Angel. You can delete that one if you'd like. I'd rather go by my proper name from now on.

David

His work sounds absolutely nothing like that RC rubbish.

I totally agree. I hear a real composer at work in his scores. Not that training is a must but I can hear it in his music. His voice leading is good, his sense of balance and color on the mark, and he's got a great gift for harmony and melody. I know he's assisted Powell on some stuff (I think even on HTTYD) so I'm not surprised that I like his work.

Actually I just created a different account under my own name. My previous account was Fiery Angel. You can delete that one if you'd like. I'd rather go by my proper name from now on.

David

I can rename your existing account from "Fiery Angel" to your real name, that way you can keep your post count intact.

David

I can rename your existing account from "Fiery Angel" to your real name, that way you can keep your post count intact.

That would be great if you could

Jackman's also scoring X-Men: First Class for Fox and director Matthew Vaughn. I can imagine what he'll do with a superhero film, he's the only other composer from the RC fold (aside from Powell) who has his own distinctive voice.

And he's also scoring Winnie the Pooh.

Koray, what did you think of Jackman's efforts on Kick Ass? That score impressed me quite a bit as did his interview regarding the music. The other guy interviewed with him was a bit of a wanker and kept swearing throughout the entire thing...not impressive.

You mean John Murphy? :lol:

I didn't like Kick-Ass, the film, as much as others here. The score is okay. It's too big of a mish-mash of clashing styles, for my taste. Ironic, I know. Wasn't a fan of Murphy copy-and-pasting from 28 Days Later; or the use of other source music, like Morricone's A Fistful Of Dollars. I do really like Jackman's Monsters vs. Aliens, though.

I wouldn't go as far to say he's the only one from RCP to have an original style, though. But I think everyone here already knows that.