James Newton Howard's "Treasure Planet"

What do you folks think of James Newton Howard's score for "Treasure Planet"?

Personally, I think the score is magical. 2002 was quite a low year of film music, but in the end, a few magnificent scores began to show up, "Treasure Planet" beeing one of the strongest. The opening track, "12 Years Later", reminds me a bit of John Williams' "Far & Away", which was also used in the trailers for the film. I knew Howard was going to create something similar already as I watched the first teaser.The main theme is quite simple, yet magnificent and full of energy and color.

The score is sounding rather celtic, combined with rock guitars to create some spacey sci-fi sounds. A cool combination.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good score, and the main theme is fantastic. It's not Howard's masterpiece, but still one of the best 10 scores of the year, IMHO. I've listened to the whole album and it is a cd I plan buying.

James Newton Howard doesn't disappoint. Majestic Main Theme, some rousing action music and awesome sound. The disc just needs to be longer!

Now..I'm eagerly awaiting his score to The Package to arrive! His first large orchestral score. And if memory serves (from catching the movie on Tv awhile ago), the opening credit music was great.

Jamesyboy- James Newton keeps notching his way up on my list, pretty soon, he'll be right behind Williams.

What do you folks think of James Newton Howard's score for "Treasure Planet"?

Personally, I think the score is magical.  2002 was quite a low year of film music, but in the end, a few magnificent scores began to show up, "Treasure Planet" beeing one of the strongest.  The opening track, "12 Years Later", reminds me a bit of John Williams' "Far & Away", which was also used in the trailers for the film. I knew Howard was going to create something similar already as I watched the first teaser.The main theme is quite simple, yet magnificent and full of energy and color.  

The score is sounding rather celtic, combined with rock guitars to create some spacey sci-fi sounds. A cool combination.

Sounds exactly like what I told my friend who had me listen to the soundtrack the other day.

~Conor

I've just got back from seeing the movie just now. Yeah, the score sounded pretty good, though I've yet to listen to it in isolation. And it was kind of hard to concentrate in the cinema with those annoying brat toddlers running up and down the aisles screaming and making noises. :music: I was so tempted to wring their bloody necks ;) Obviously they didn't like the film, but I did (or at least tried my best to above their racket).

CYPHER

Am I the only one who thinks that this score is very much disappointing ??

Knowing what JNH is able to do, this score is just average to me.

It is inferior to Atlantis and Dinosaur...it seems to be lacking some true involvement.

So if you wanna hear his best score of 2002, try Signs (especially "The Hand of Fate Part I" track), it'll blow you up !! :music: