GAME: Jurassic Park- The Game

scallenger

A fairly spoiler-free review

Jurassic Park finally got the sequel everyone wanted and expected. But it didn’t actually take a movie for it to happen, but Jurassic Park: The Game instead. This doesn’t mean fans don’t love either The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3 (or both, or neither), but neither one of those sequels were what fans expected to see after enjoying the first film. In a way we have Michael Crichton to blame for this, because his second novel went in a direction I don’t think anyone saw coming with the “second island” Isla Sorna plot. Even in the BluRay bonus feature documentary of the films, Steven Spielberg himself said that he had a sustained shot on the Barbasol can because he thought that would have been the catalyst for the next sequel. It never happened.

Now it finally has.

I’m a huge fan of Jurassic Park. I can accurately say it has shaped who I am today, for better or for worse. Without going into a life story, let’s just say I saw the first film when it came out in 1993 when I was about 6 years old. It traumatized me after I first saw it, and oddly enough, after a couple of days, I for some reason begged my parents to let me see it again. I was obsessed ever since. It opened my world to dinosaurs, films, film music, science, technology, and oddly enough, life lessons (read the novels in addition to the films if you don’t believe you can take a lot of life lessons from the series). I can even say my personality is a bit inspired by it all.

The game fills a void with all fans of the series by finally answering that age-old question: what the hell happened to the Barbasol can? Sure, you could always assume after a day or so the coolant inside ran out entirely rendering the embryos inside useless. Or you could take in the amusing approach from the semi-famous parody Jurassic People. But we all like to have some kind of an official answer. Now we got one. And it is the approach the game has made that made it such an amazing idea: a side-along story to the first film that takes place during and directly after it’s events. During the course of it, you encounter many new characters with plenty of references to familiar ones. The same goes for various locations and other nods as well, that are so well-done at times that it makes any diehard fan’s heart almost die from excitement. There are little things to be found that are deeply treasured that really add to the experience. Although the game is primarily only based on the film lore, there are some elements from the novels that sneak their way in that made me even more happy (I feel that many fans of the films disregard the novels far too often, which is really ironic, backwards, and amusingly insulting).

The strongest points of the game are clearly the level designs, characters, and story. The way it all connects and interacts with one another is spot-on and make for a truly engaging experience. The story fits like a glove with the first film so well that I truly bought the whole thing. I really felt like I was experiencing something within Jurassic Park, and not just something “loosely inspired” by it. Every location in each episode was very well designed with just the right amount of exploration and cinematic tone. The use of the camera lens and angles was really impressive. The characters and their expressions from the mocap were very good and helped engage the performance with the superb dialogue aided by the actors renditions. And who can forget the dinosaurs? Each one featured in the game had a shining moment delivered. The two new additions in the game, while I was concerned at first, I really thought they were brought about in the best way, with terrific designs in appearance and sound especially. The music was a fun banter with John Williams famous themes and motifs (including brief references to certain tracks that have never had reproductions in any of the other films or games that I was delighted to hear). There are even some new themes by Jared that I also liked. I am disappointed, however, that the deluxe edition of the game didn’t include all of these occurrences of the Williams material, among many other standout tracks heard in the game, but due to licensing and copyrights I understand why. Williams fans, however, may not be huge fans of the music due to a more synth approach taken here. I admit that I wish the game had a bigger orchestra sound (something more in tune to the score in Trespasser, for example), but with the given limitations to the style of music done here, I think it was very well done.

Speaking of disappointments, I can’t help but point out some more. No game (or film for that matter) is truly perfect, and here is no exception. In playing the PC version, I was surprised by some of the bugs that occurred. Disappearing mouse during gameplay, slow frame rates at times, game not being able to be opened sometimes unless you use the Windows task manager to close the previous session, etc. These are problems I didn’t expect to exist at this point, but maybe they can be remedied with a patch or something. I also was sometimes not a fan of the controls at times, with some button prompts not even working. Luckily, you can proceed all the way through the game even with these problems at hand (although it certainly takes more work than it should because of it). In terms of fan disappointments, I also think that there were opportunities that weren’t explored that should have been. I really, really wanted to see the jungle river cruise (as in the novel and popular theme park ride at Universal Studios) take place in the game in some form. I wanted to explore more of the film’s actual locations as well. The first episode did this perfectly, but I felt the remaining episodes focused too much on showing us the parts of the island that we didn’t see in the film. While it was really fun and interesting to explore those aspects, I felt the game really should have went back to the familiar locations more. I wanted to really explore parts of the Visitor Center we only got glimpses of in the film. I wanted to actually take a tour in the tour vehicle in some way. I wanted to let the raptor out of the freezer by mistake in the kitchen! It’s interesting to note that after watching the commentary videos, some of these ideas actually were once imagined to be in the game, but cut either due to time or expense.

With fan criticism aside, it’s quite telling that my biggest problem with the game was that I simply wanted MORE. For that to be the biggest problem, it is quite a compliment to the creators of the game. I was so pleased with what was going on that I simply wanted more of it. I keep forgetting, however, that Telltale is not a big budget studio. From watching the commentary videos, however, they really did everything they could to deliver a game that they themselves wanted to see as fans of the films. No one seemed simply “hired” as their role, they really were there for the right reasons and put in their best effort. I was surprised at how engaged I got with the characters and how likeable they all were. Even though some ended up bad, or even annoying, they were done so in a way that was fully aware and usually had an arc that really made it fulfilled. And the climax? It was really thrilling in terms of dinosaur carnage and intensity, and the resolution (or at least, the correct resolution) was really pleasing. But I didn’t want it to end when it did. I still wanted more!

I think this leads to me with one other gripe I had… the fact that this was called Jurassic Park- The Game. Now there have been Jurassic Park games before that really were “games”. Either typical platformer of the side-scrolling type, overhead gameplay, or even first-person shooter (the much underappreciated, although hugely flawed, Trespasser). But this new game doesn’t qualify as ANY of those. Actually, that isn’t entirely true if you count the Sega CD edition of Jurassic Park, that featured a storyline involving BioSyn, collecting eggs, an inventory of various items, some shooting elements, 360 degree locations, and even actual video footage. But this new game really is an interactive film, which is actually something I LOVE about it. I love that it has a fairly straight-forward story and consequences. I do wish that the exploration was a bit more wide-open, however. I also wish there were more interactive elements at times, like an inventory for example. I really expected there to be one since the awesome Back to the Future game Telltale did featured one. I feel that an inventory would have added to the appeal of the game and maybe given more of a variety to it, just like in the Sega CD version mentioned. But I can see that maybe by doing so it would have taken away from this film-like approach.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the title is misleading. And that’s what’s amusing. Telltale has been very clear from the beginning exactly what their game was going to be like: an interactive film-like experience. And that is exactly what they have delivered. This isn’t like what happened with Trespasser, with the designers of the game promising all these great features and only delivering a third of them, with very buggy results. These guys have really done a job well done. My problem is that this shouldn’t have been called a game, because for gamers I can see why they don’t like it. It isn’t a game for them. It’s a game for fans of the film as the main priority, which is truly wonderful. But I can see how that may be misleading to some. Perhaps they should have called it something else, like Jurassic Park: Return To Isla Nublar. Or even better, Jurassic Park: Interactive, although this title is kind of already taken by a much lesser game that came out when the film did. But now I guess this a mute argument since the damage is already done.

The last major thing that has to be noted are the deaths. I have never had so much fun dieing in a game before (although it is actually amusing to die in Trespasser since the game doesn’t actually end, you just fall to the ground and usually watch yourself get eaten for all eternity, I suppose). The deaths are so well-thought out, original, amusing, scary, and edgy that it creates it’s own in-game replay value. Has this ever been done before? I’m not too sure. But I’m glad it’s here in a Jurassic Park game!

Jurassic Park: The Game may not have been exactly how I wanted it to be, but it came really close. And that is a major compliment. I had big hopes for it, but had no idea which parts they would have delivered on correctly for me. There are many different types of Jurassic Park fans. Some that are film-centric. Some that are dinosaur-centric. Some that are novel-centric. But I’d like to think of myself as a more well-rounded fan that doesn’t really buy into just one canon or experience. I believe all of it should be respected and explored and included in as possible explanations for things you want answered. And this game really delivers in that department as well. I think it will be something that any type of fan will feel quite easy to accept in their mind. And if not, well I see that as a solitary issue. I myself am a fan of this game, and despite some imperfections, it is definitely the best Jurassic Park game the world has ever seen. Even though Telltale didn’t have the same budget as the latest Zelda or Lego Harry Potter, it gave it’s audience just as much of a thrill and with just as much respect, if not more. They really did spare no expense.

Some Spoiler Notes:

-The inclusion of the Pteranodons puzzled me at first. But I came up with my own explanation. Although not mentioned in the game (and very discreetly mentioned in the film), I believe Isla Nublar must have had an aviary just like it does in the novel. I think that maybe they broke out of it either due to the power failure somehow or even perhaps from damage by the storm, and that’s why you see them freely flying about. It wouldn’t make sense otherwise because, as we see in the game, they are too dangerous of creatures to have loose. And for those that may balk at this idea because an aviary isn’t really mentioned, well, this was actually the case in the novel as well, until the scene occurs. Malcolm in the novel even says something like, “How come this wasn’t mentioned as part of the tour?”, and the answer is of course because of the “problems” they had with the aviary…

-I LOVE that the DX virus is an easter egg of the game, in reference to the Lost World novel. Speaking of which, I also loved that Isla Sorna was mentioned in a few spots as well. It really tied it together.

-The character arc of Billy, from being a charming badass to the game’s ultimate villain, was very well done. It was a strange thing to really like him at first and then really dislike him by the game’s end. His demise was classic Jurassic.

-The Troodons were very well done. They were scary in sound and visual design, especially with the glowing eyes. My only nitpick is that I wish they became more involved in the story in the end. They attack for a while, but I expected more to be done with them, honestly. Although I love their grisly nesting habits…

-I also really enjoyed the Mosasaur. He was an impressive creature and fit will with the wonderfully designed habitat. I think this was something I always expected to end up seeing in a Jurassic Park film and was disappointed that it hadn’t happened.

-Miles Chadwick was definitely one of my favorite characters. I loved his annoying humor and the way he tied into the film.

-There are many references to the film in the game of course, but perhaps the one that made me LOL was the moving cursor on the video surveillance on the computer screen that was a revealing blooper in the film that showed it was just a looping Quicktime video. LOL amazing that they replicated it here!

-I was actually disappointed we didn’t go into Sorkin’s lab. I remember seeing the concept art of this place and really curious to see what was inside. I’m glad we got some exterior shots and the Hadrosaur pen next to it, but I thought it was a big missed opportunity that apparently WAS once explored.

-The climax of the final episode with the T-Rex’s head inside the raptor cage that Dr. Harding is in as it gets swung around was probably the most gratifying moment that made really was intense and made me want to shout “THIS was what it’s all about! Right here!” In fact, that whole final chase through the metal containers was so well orchestrated and cinematic that I was really on the edge of my seat as I watched. Very inspiring and would be an amazing scene in the film. In way the containers and dock setting reminded me of Trespasser. Was this partially inspired or intended by it? Even if not, it will always have that connection for me, which is great!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also expecting a monkey island approach, where you could explore scenarios, have inventory along with button-action scenes. But well the game is interesting...i think its just a little expensive for what it offers. About 29.90$ for the deluxe and 19.90$ for the retail versions would have been perfect.

I have not encountered the bugs you mention, only a little jerky jumps between scenes sometimes. (i have to play in low resolution even...)

Its real nice to be able to play as Gerry harding. (VET!! ;) ), and know his story. Though i dont know why he does not resemble the film version at all. in the commentary they mention something about his lack of moustache but do not go into details of why. The game more or less dismiss that sarah harding is Gerry's daughter, since it introduces another daughter... and sarah would have heard about the dinosaurs from her sister or father before hearing from Malcom... if they both survive. One had to assume Gerry had died in the JP novel, i think, because Sarah speaks in past tense in TLW when speaking of him.

Jurassic park needs a 'Dinocrisis-like' survival horror game. It was going to be one in 2001 around JPIII release but it got cancelled. It looked great. Shame, real shame.

Maybe I'm wrong, but what I got from the game was that Sarah Harding was one of Gerry's other wives in the past? He made it seem like he had more than one (kind of like Ian Malcolm). Could be wrong, I kind of skimmed past that vague reference that was made. And I think the decision to change Gerry's appearance for the game a bit (and make him a bit younger to boot) was to have a more appealing game character who you would much more believe in doing some of the crazy action stunts that is eventually required of him. I can't picture the Gerry Harding from the film doing ANYTHING that the game version did (no offense to the wonderful producer who played him! haha). In the end the character was so minor and hardly in the film that it hardly mattered to me, personally, and I really prefer the portrayal of him in the game.

And that canceled Jurassic Park game was called Jurassic Park: Survival, which ended up getting replaced with the park-building game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. While I like the latter game, I would have much preferred the former, and was REALLY disappointed when it was revealed that it wasn't coming out. Especially after it's really cool trailer (featuring Williams score of JP's finale) impressed me so much with what could have been in store. Funny enough, this very trailer was included on the Jurassic Park 3 soundtrack CD's "supplemental features".

Btw, I wonder if Spielberg will get a glimpse of Jurassic Park: The Game at all? I really hope he does, because I really think he could take a page from it's story here. I remember that Spielberg and his son Max were briefly involved in the Trespasser game, they even helped design a puzzle. I actually always also wished for a sequel to be like Trespasser; a sort of Cast Away meets Jurassic Park story with only a single human character in most of the story, alone on the island. I think THAT would be thrilling and intimate at the same time.

Once it became known that Telltale's Jurassic Park game would be a long quick-time event type game for $30, it became not worth it.

The first Jurassic Park game that I ever played -- Ocean's for the PC -- is still my personal favorite. It's practically impossible to play outside of a DOS emulator unless you kept a 486 around.

Me and a high school friend had a friendly competition to beat this game. I could never beat the stegosaurus paddock level, but after that, the game was a very enjoyable romp. It even had a few nonlinear segments. I could gush eternal about this game, and I'm sure that one of my earliests posts here, if it survived, has a long diatribe.

This doesn’t mean fans don’t love either The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3 (or both, or neither), but neither one of those sequels were what fans expected to see after enjoying the first film.

I respectfully disagree. TLW never disappointed me and it was very much in line with what I could have expected out of a sequel, including a T-Rex loose in a city! Remember Kenner's toy line? They had these Evil Raider characters that were never in the movie. Guys with guns who capture dinosaurs. Hmmm...what did we get in TLW? ;)

The best JP game I've played is the first Genesis movie game. Very fun and SCARY. Plus, it featured the river ride, complete with T-Rex terrifyingly emerging from drainpipes. Also, the feature to play as both the human and dinosaur was revolutionary and basically perfect. They didn't ruin things by letting you play as T-Rex as in later games because, let's face it, you SHOULDN'T be able to play as the big guy. That's way too much power. Less = more. What a good game.

How about Park Builder for Game Boy Advance...too obscure? I remember finding it a neat distraction.

On the DOS game: I've never been able to play it for very long because every emulator I have tried it with kept playing it at a VERY low frame rate that made it impossible for me to play. Have you tried playing it with one recently? If so, what did you use and what were you settings? I'd love to try to play it again if it can play like it does in that video in your post.

On TLW: I was actually more disappointed with TLW more than JP3 when it initially came out, to be honest. I loved that JP3 was a hodge-podge of similiar versions of scenes left out of the films that were in the novels, with a fairly fun yet dumb storyline that featured Grant, who I always wanted back. I have REALLY grown to appreciate Lost World a lot more, however, and do see it as a better film than JP3 now. I guess at the time I just wanted to go back to Nublar and visit the familiar locales instead of some entirely new place. In addition to that I really wanted Pteranodons, which were in the very last moment of the film almost as a slap in the face to me since they cut their original ending.

On the other games: I also should try and play the Genesis game again. I barely played much of it, honestly. What emulator do you use for that one again? I have never played the Park Builder game for GBA. After the horrid JP3 PC games, I shyed away from any others after that except for Operation Genesis. However, I somehow grew up on the Game Gear (that's right, Game Gear) version of Jurassic Park, that I found oddly fun to play. That final level is hella hard though, and I can never seem to beat the final boss!

I never got a working Genesis emulator, but then again, I do own the console and that game. I absolutely loathed it.

I haven't played JP on the PC for almost ten years. I'll look into it and let you know.

Maybe I'm wrong, but what I got from the game was that Sarah Harding was one of Gerry's other wives in the past? He made it seem like he had more than one (kind of like Ian Malcolm). Could be wrong, I kind of skimmed past that vague reference that was made.

Damn, spoiler! i have not finished the game yet :P

Isnt that strange? If sarah divorced Gerry, she would lose his surname (or she would like to retrieve her maiden name) wouldnt her?

And I think the decision to change Gerry's appearance for the game a bit (and make him a bit younger to boot) was to have a more appealing game character who you would much more believe in doing some of the crazy action stunts that is eventually required of him. I can't picture the Gerry Harding from the film doing ANYTHING that the game version did (no offense to the wonderful producer who played him! haha). In the end the character was so minor and hardly in the film that it hardly mattered to me, personally, and I really prefer the portrayal of him in the game.

Well... still use the same body as in the game, but put a moustache, a blue JP staff cap and a pair of rayban sunglasses and i woulnt mind it at all, but as it is it ruins all the 'we-want-to-make-it-as-true-as-possible-to-the film'...

But hey Malcom sported a moustache in some pages of TLW comic IRRC, soooo...

Sorry! lol. I didn't think of the Sarah Harding thing as much of a spoiler, especially since I think I got it a bit wrong. Actually, here is the official remark from one of the creators. I'll put it in a spoiler bracket this time. ;)

Sarah was Gerry's first wife's daughter while Jess is his second wife's daughter

I still think Gerry looks too young in the game for this to be true. However in the movie I'd certainly believe it. ;) lol

I do love the parts in the SNES version that were first person mode, though. Sure they were crude, but seemed well done for the format at the time. They had a charm to them haha.

I do love the parts in the SNES version that were first person mode, though. Sure they were crude, but seemed well done for the format at the time. They had a charm to them haha.

Those sections and the sound bite of the guy saying "Welcome to Jurassic Park" at the beginning were the best parts of the game.

For fans of this game, on the official site forums, apparently they are going to post an extra track not available on the OST that came with the Deluxe Edition: it's an original humorous song that played in the game during the

fight with Oscar and his knife VS a raptor.

It was done in the style of an early 90s ballad of sorts, so it is of course fairly cheesy, yet oddly catchy. It'll be cool to have an official download of this. :D

im just starting ep IV.. (yep i dont have much time to play :P )

Do they talk about it being more than 3 raptos in the island? (t-rex killed 2 and one died frozen in the fridge, so all those 4 or 5 that appear in the game are 'version: ???' as the novel would put it ;) )

Or its something we must take for granted (since grant and the kinds find a raptor nest in the film... raptor nest in the novel...)

Here is the tongue-in-cheek song that I mentioned in the thread made just for the game by the same composer. This was just posted on the Telltale forums by one of the Telltale team members. Enjoy! LOL

http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/jp_dontrememberyou.mp3

http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/jp_dontrememberyou.mp3

Written by Jared Emerson-Johnson

Performed by The Lysine Contingency

I've already said this in the JP4 thread over at the main forum, but I really dug this game. And that's from someone who usually HATES action/shootemups where you die every two seconds. It was a great compromise for old-school point-and-click gamers like myself.

Primarily, it's because it had a superb story and managed to recreate the mood of the films, which I'm totally in love with.

I'm glad you liked the game Thor. :D It's strange because most of the big gaming sites gave it mixed reviews, mostly toward the negative, with like an average of 50% on their scores. I think they got lost with what THEY wanted the game to be, and what the game was supposed to be all along. Telltale never gave any indication it was going to be anything more than a beefed up graphics version of their usual format of games, and they delivered splendidly. So it's good to see all this good criticism here. It isn't a perfect game but it is VERY good. And it seems to have been a home run for fans of the films, which is the most important thing.

I like point and click adventures too. I grew up on games like MYST and RIVEN (fucking RIVEN... so damn hard...). And as you said, they got a wonderful story and characters here. :)

Oh yeah I heard about that. It was dumb of them to do that, at least so soon. So I guess they kind of deserved that. But I wish the game hadn't suffered sales perhaps due to bad ratings.

I just got this in the mail. It's really freaking awesome. And yes, I called the number that they mention. Pretty awesome stuff all around!!! If you liked the game, or hell, if you like Jurassic Park A LOT, this is a collector's item you gotta get. My favorite thing in the box was definitely the field guide.

Note: My InGen box that came in the mail was a a bit messed up on the front from shipping. :( But hey, that's not Telltale's fault, and it makes it a little more authentic I guess! However, my disc also somehow popped out of the DVD case and got a bit scuffed up with light scratches. :( Now THAT is no bueno, so I e-mailed them asking just for a replacement, we'll see what they say.

No no no... there is a letter from John Hammond in the set, and it has this Palo Alto address and phone number at the bottom. If you actually call it, you'll be in for a fun surprise haha.

This is interesting, for those who are... interested. A recent interview with the composer of the game. :D

http://alternativema...er-voice-actor/

He talks a bit about his work on all the games he has done, including Back to the Future and Jurassic Park. He has also done some voice work for some of the games, including Jurassic Park! He was Miles Chadwick! Hahahahaha!

They also gave a pretty good and honest review of the game that I very much agree with. It's pretty positive but does point out the shortcomings. It's too bad most of the other big sites didn't see the game this way:

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2011/11/21/game-review-jurassic-park-the-game-pc/

just finally got time to finish the game.

i really like it, i dont mind its not a shoot em up. tons of those. It should have been cheaper though. I hope y deluxe edition box is not damaged or opened (=stolen things). i have read that only a sticker seals it. :/

I read the end credits: mark griskey and william stromberg did addition music. shame they couldnt record with orchestras this time.

oh and 'Welcome to jurassic park' WORDS and music by John T Williams.

WTF? what lyrics??!?! :lol:

Must be some default song credit. And no need for the 'Towner' thing...

yay! it arrived in time. now i'm part of the ingen staff :)

the field guide is cool.

They should have included a skullcap like the ones in the film :)

Scallenger, did you recorded the phone? You picked my curiosity!

The game more or less dismiss that sarah harding is Gerry's daughter, since it introduces another daughter...
Although the Harding story from the game doesn't entirely fit the way it's hinted at in "The Lost World", Sarah IS mentioned in the game, when Jess is accusing him of not being there enough for his kids since he parted with his wife ("When was the last time you talked to Sarah?").

The game more or less dismiss that sarah harding is Gerry's daughter, since it introduces another daughter...
Although the Harding story from the game doesn't entirely fit the way it's hinted at in "The Lost World", Sarah IS mentioned in the game, when Jess is accusing him of not being there enough for his kids since he parted with his wife ("When was the last time you talked to Sarah?").

i said that when i was ep1, scenario 2...

Scallenger clarified it and then i found out :P

oh, no. I just meant that you said it and when i played the game i found out the exact dialogue...

btw you didnt spoiler it in the end, since sarah is gerry's daughter (from an ex-wife) and not ex-wife

oh, no. I just meant that you said it and when i played the game i found out the exact dialogue...

btw you didnt spoiler it in the end, since sarah is gerry's daughter (from an ex-wife) and not ex-wife

I find that very weird, if that's the case, because Gerry doesn't look old enough for that. What is he here, like 40 years old, maximum? THE LOST WORLD takes place, what, 4 years later, making him 44 years old? And Sarah Harding is supposed to be in her mid to late 30s?!

Unless we're supposed to believe that Gerry is supposed to be around 60 years old, which of course is nonsense.

I took it for granted that Sarah was an ex-wife or current wife of his. Where does the story say that she is his daughter?

Would she still be sarah Harding if they had divorced?

In the film, Gerry is at least 50 years old. they made him younger i think because he had to so some hard stunts for the game and the person in the film didnt look like he could... in the game they say he had a rebel youth so maybe he married early and had a daughter early too (20 years... which is not that early...)

Sarah has always been gerry's daughter in the crichton continuity...

I think jess says something like kelly to malcom in TLW film. LIke gerry does not visit his children, and ask him when was the last time he saw sarah