Difference between expanded editions and OST

I have to ask everyone, how would you explain the difference between an expanded edition and the original score album? My dad tried to explain to a friend of his about the HOOK cd and how it was all the music from the movie. His friend didnt get it. He asked " well isn't that on the soundtrack already?" Not to mention he couldn't understand why there is more music than the length of the film. How can I clear all of this up?

When I try to explain things like this to family members who don't know much about the film music world I basically say this:

When a soundtrack CD is first released it (usually) never contains ALL the music from the film....just an abridged selection. Film Music fans often want to hear the rest of the music too....

Anyways, when one of the specialty record labels (like LaLaLand) releases an EXPANDED score, it has ALL or MORE of the music than the original CD did.

As for how to explain how there can be a longer runtime of music than the film length....just say sometimes composers write ALTERNATE versions of some tracks and when those are included on the CD(s), it can mean there is more music than what's actually in the movie.

That's what I usually explain to confused people lol. I hope that made sense.

When I try to explain things like this to family members who don't know much about the film music world I basically say this:

When a soundtrack CD is first released it (usually) never contains ALL the music from the film....just an abridged selection. Film Music fans often want to hear the rest of the music too....

Anyways, when one of the specialty record labels (like LaLaLand) releases an EXPANDED score, it has ALL or MORE of the music than the original CD did.

As for how to explain how there can be a longer runtime of music than the film length....just say sometimes composers write ALTERNATE versions of some tracks and when those are included on the CD(s), it can mean there is more music than what's actually in the movie.

Thanks. Yes, it makes sense LOL problem is always making sense to people you are explaining it to .. ie in this case, hopefully this works with my dads friend

I have to ask everyone, how would you explain the difference between an expanded edition and the original score album? My dad tried to explain to a friend of his about the HOOK cd and how it was all the music from the movie. His friend didnt get it. He asked " well isn't that on the soundtrack already?" Not to mention he couldn't understand why there is more music than the length of the film. How can I clear all of this up?

My girfriend doesn't care a whole lot about film music, but she gets it! :lol:

Just tell her the Expanded version has most, if not all of the music written for the film, and the OS album contains only a selection. Why the music written for the film can be more than the length of the film is simply because there are concert versions, alternate cues, music not used for the final cut of the film, etc.

Anybody should be able to understand that! :)

That's WAAAAAY too complicated for the "common folks".

It's not like I get to expound upon this difference very often to people that are not into film music, but I would probably say something like:

A regular soundtrack usually presents the highlights of the music from a film in a sequence that makes musical sense. Then sometimes it is reissued with all the music from the film in the film's order. This is usually done by smaller niche labels who have a different soundtrack philosophy.

And then after that, I might add a comment or two about my own personal opinion on the matter, which you all know and which always makes you furious and grinding your teeth. ;)

If they're still listening, you might want to delineate the difference between the 'soundtrack' as the film's audio and music track, and the 'soundtrack' as a music album.

Actually I've never understood why the word "original" is in OS album!

Why original? Does it mean that the music on the album was specifically written for the film? But that can't be, because there are original soundtracks that only or mostly contain pre-existing songs (for example "The Bodyguard")!

Or does it mean that they contain only music used for the film? That can't be either, because sometimes an OS album contains music NOT used in the film (many JW soundtracks)!

Actually I've never understood why the word "original" is in OS album!

Why original? Does it mean that the music on the album was specifically written for the film? But that can't be, because there are original soundtracks that only or mostly contain pre-existing songs (for example "The Bodyguard")!

Or does it mean that they contain only music used for the film? That can't be either, because sometimes an OS album contains music NOT used in the film (many JW soundtracks)!

The Original Soundtrack title implies that the music was written specifically for the film although the usage has become much wider and varied, encompassing even music inspired by the film etc. compilations of pre-existing songs. The naming of these albums varies wildly. Even LLL's complete score presentations are called Expanded since it was their logic not to vary the title from Expanded to Complete and of course complete score is an expanded version of the OST in most cases. :)

Oh and Thor you can say that C&C doesn't make musical sense but you shouldn't. That is again extremely biased of you. OST is a collection of material compiled by the composer/artist to provide a musical presentation of his work as he likes it to be presented on CD (in the constraints of the budget). And not all composers would settle for a "highlight" selection if they had the chance to put out the complete score. Williams happens to be one of those who creates albums as separate entities. But yes, let's not go any further into this. It has been discussed to death. But I still argue that C&C makes musical sense as much as you might think only OST does.

But yes, let's not go any further into this. It has been discussed to death.

Not, it hasn't. If it had been discussed to death, then one of us (or many of us) would be dead. But as it is, the battle is still going strong between C&Cers (Command & Conquer gamers) and OSTics (Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides fanatics).

So, I say: let the battle continue!

English idioms, a difficult thing. You might be surprised that most of them do not have concrete meaning. You have to kind of interpret them a bit as abstractions you know Bloodie. If I say you are just about as innocent as a fox in a henhouse it does not mean that there is any fox (no not even Starfox) nor there is a hen house. It means that you look pretty darn guilty. Get it? Go, learn more of these fascinating linguistic marvels! Let the battle against ignorance continue! :znaika:

English idioms, a difficult thing. You might be surprised that most of them do not have concrete meaning.

If they don't have a concrete meaning, then what's their point? They're useless!

Hey, look, I'm using an idiom! It has a hidden meaning! It makes me feel smart!

This is nonsense bullshit crap.

Might I suggest that you do not use a variation on word excrement, even though you do not mention the source of the second one, twice in the same sentence back to back. It is tautological but what is more it makes you look rather uncouth and ungentlemanly. Not been to proper schools and all that old bean.

OK.

This is NBC!

Acronyms are very refined. Good show old chap. Good show. Tootle pip, tally-ho and all the flaming rhubarb to you my good fellow.

Now I know what NBC stands for. And Williams even composed them a theme tune. Ugh...

But yes, let's not go any further into this. It has been discussed to death.

Not, it hasn't. If it had been discussed to death, then one of us (or many of us) would be dead. But as it is, the battle is still going strong between C&Cers (Command & Conquer gamers) and OSTics (Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides fanatics).

So, I say: let the battle continue!

I usually use these abbreviations for the two camps - C&C (complete & chronological) vs. A&A (arranged & abbreviated).

I agree with Thor apart from:

Then sometimes it is reissued with all the music from the film in the film's order. This is usually done by smaller niche labels who have a different soundtrack philosophy.

This two statements are not correct. There are many releases which includes expanded or complete score and were done by major labels. And it is not based on their soundtrack philosophy.

Besides, there are also complete scores (with or without C&C) which give a complete musical sense. Not all, but some. And not all OST releases have musical sense. I think that is only a soundtrack philosophy of yours, Thor. ;)

Sorry, ckappes, I don't agree with that assessment, but I'm not allowed to enter in-depth into that discussion.

Oh be fair, ckappes. The man did say "usually."

Arista released the Star Wars Anthology. Not a niche label. Not totally C&C, especially considering album arrangements like "The Final Battle" and the fourth disc of extras. In fact, "Carbon Freeze..." is a textbook example of how a soundtrack can be longer than the film it presents: it contains a lot of music that was "dialed out" during the movie, to let the dialogue and vwoom-vwoom of the sabers take center stage.

RCA released the Special Edition soundtracks the first time around in 1997. Not niche. Mostly C&C, but still not definitive, especially the Muppet movie.

Reprise/Wea released The Complete Recordings sets of The Lord of the Rings. Not niche. As C&C as humanly possible to treat these scores but still have pleasingly long tracks to listen to, instead of forty dozen tracks a minute long tops.

~*~

Kritzerland is a niche soundtrack label that dusts off (mostly old, boring, forgotten) LPs and presses them to CD, usually without any extra (bad, evil, naughty Zoot) music added. We think Thor is their CEO but it's never been confirmed.

Kritzerland is a niche soundtrack label that dusts off (mostly old, boring, forgotten) LPs and presses them to CD, usually without any extra (bad, evil, naughty Zoot) music added. We think Thor is their CEO but it's never been confirmed.

;)

Oh be fair, ckappes. The man did say "usually."

After reading Thor's definition again, I realized that he only focused on complete scores. I thought he meant expansions in gerneral.

Is that correct, Thor?

BTW, did you guys know that Arista is history now since 2011?