Two Towers Themes

jsawruk

I am back with more themes. These themes come from the Two Towers by Howard Shore, and are not in FOTR (see the MIDI Files LOTR for those themes).

Presented here are Eowyn's theme, the Rohan theme, the White Rider's theme, and what may be the Rohirrim theme. I'm not sure about that one, but that melody does stand out. It is also later developed in Forth Eorlingas, making me think it may actually be a leitmotif.

I did not transcribe Gollum's song because the sheet music for that is published (I have seen it). Are there two Gollum themes in Two Towers? I hear the one from FOTR occassionally, but is there also a new one?

Enjoy :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That's the one I was talking about. And actually, by now I do agree that it has a strong connection to a theme from FOTR - to the Ring motif that often plays under the Ringwraith chorus, and when Bilbo leaves the Ring.

This is how I see the various Gollum themes at the moment:

Gollum's Theme from FOTR: Gollum as perceived by others who don't know him well
  • Cimbalon theme: Stinker, as Sam calls him, the evil Gollum, twisted by the Ring
  • Gollum's Song: What's left of Smeagol, Gollum as he sees himself
      So I think it makes perfect sense that the latter theme is used in Forbidden Pool. It's the moment where Gollum thinks Frodo betrays him, which leads to Stinker getting stronger again. And Foundations of Stone...it's heard during the flight over the Misty Mountains right after the opening titles. One could argue that Gollum is down there in Moria tracing the Fellowship, but I think that's forcing a stronger connection than there is or has to be. I think it's simply a good way to open the movie, which introduces Gollum as a main character. And after all, he has a strong influence on some characters' fate later on.
      Marian - who will watch the movie a third time in February.
      :mrgreen: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Did you notice the final brass theme in the end credits is actually this Gollum's theme from FOTR' date=' kinda like the way Williams ended TESB with The Imperial March. :)
  • Cimbalon theme: Stinker' date=' as Sam calls him, the evil Gollum, twisted by the Ring[/quote']
    Hmmm....interesting idea, but i'm not sure I agree, this theme is used several times when Stinker is clearly NOT in control.
    I do agree it's a reworking of that secondary theme for the Ring,
  • Gollum's Song: What's left of Smeagol' date=' Gollum as he sees himself[list']
    I disagree, the first part of the song is Slinker, but the second definatly sound like Stinker to me.
    So I think it makes perfect sense that the latter theme is used in Forbidden Pool. It's the moment where Gollum thinks Frodo betrays him' date=' which leads to Stinker getting stronger again. [/quote']With the latter theme you mean Gollum's Song?
    I can hear both the Gollum theme from FOTR and the Cimbalon in that track, but not Gollum's Song.
    And Foundations of Stone...it's heard during the flight over the Misty Mountains right after the opening titles. One could argue that Gollum is down there in Moria tracing the Fellowship' date=' but I think that's forcing a stronger connection than there is or has to be. I think it's simply a good way to open the movie, which introduces Gollum as a main character. And after all, he has a strong influence on some characters' fate later on.[/quote']When I first saw the film i was kinda puzzled that we saw nothing of Gullom, but I agree, it's a cool way to establish the theme.
    Stefancos- who can be a real stinker too.

Did you notice the final brass theme in the end credits is actually this Gollum's theme from FOTR, kinda like the way Williams ended TESB with The Imperial March.  :)

I didn't notice that. But I always thought the final crescendo in that track sounds a lot like the very end of ESB. Perhaps this is intentional?

I disagree, the first part of the song is Slinker, but the second definatly sound like Stinker to me.

Yeah, well, in the last part of the song, Stinker "takes over". Perhaps the song is just Gollum, with the personality in charge changing during the song.

With the latter theme you mean Gollum's Song?

I can hear both the Gollum theme from FOTR and the Cimbalon in that track, but not Gollum's Song.

I do, and in fact the only theme I can actually remember hearing in that track is the song theme...

Stefancos- who can be a real stinker too.

Marian - not surprised. :wow: